Author Topic: Shorter front shocks  (Read 3601 times)

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Shorter front shocks
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
01Lambiero, thank you Sir, Iv'e seen your chassis and I respect your work. It is a replica. I know it will not solve the problem but my philosophy is, enjoy the car as soon as possible as much as possible.  I always finish a build and the only way I can do that is to do at least 1 thing a day no matter how small and make choices like this that get me behind the wheel sooner.This allows me to keep smiling while the build is going on. It's a compromise, but for the fun I can have now instead of waiting for the upgrade, it's worth it. I just finished a 3800sc swap and there's no way I'm going to wait to drive it. I believe the quote "Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good."

As long as ur safe, do what you want. Take opinions , as u progress forward. ::beers
Fate has no choice

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »
Havemurci, I appreciate your philosophy. Some say that they cannot tell when I have my tongue in cheek, so I will say that I do when I tell you that others would offer a different solution. Stiffer spring will solve all of your problems. Put a couple of 2,000lb springs on the front and enjoy your 1/4" suspension travel.

Havemurci

• Liked: 89
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »
01Lambiero, thank you Sir, Iv'e seen your chassis and I respect your work. It is a replica. I know it will not solve the problem but my philosophy is, enjoy the car as soon as possible as much as possible.  I always finish a build and the only way I can do that is to do at least 1 thing a day no matter how small and make choices like this that get me behind the wheel sooner.This allows me to keep smiling while the build is going on. It's a compromise, but for the fun I can have now instead of waiting for the upgrade, it's worth it. I just finished a 3800sc swap and there's no way I'm going to wait to drive it. I believe the quote "Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good."

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
Listen to MX.  We go through this thread at least once every year.  Are you building a Fiero or a Replica?  You're going down the wrong road if you think that lowering springs and shorter shocks with 2" or more wheel spacers are the answer to fixing your problems.  Even a Fiero with the Arraut Motor Sports (orig. Held Suspension) setup, your about as close as you can get to a normal handling car without investing $1000s of dollars.  Your geometry is going the wrong way and your tires will probably be hitting the wheelwells on a sharp turn.  If you are pinching your budget like I was, save your $50 here and $100 there and get the Arraut kit.  You'll be glad you did in the long run.
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

minihawn

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Just looked and realized, I don't have any pics of them actually on the car!  Haha.  I'll pull it out later on tonight (sneak a drive around the block :) ) and get some better ones for ya.  I don't have any pics of the front shocks either.  Fail on my part for fully documenting  :sosad
1st pic: wide track Held kit (minus the shock).
2nd pic: rear coil over conversion kit.

its cool.. looks good bro
Fate has no choice

Thumper

• Liked: 31
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 08:35:44 AM »
Just looked and realized, I don't have any pics of them actually on the car!  Haha.  I'll pull it out later on tonight (sneak a drive around the block :) ) and get some better ones for ya.  I don't have any pics of the front shocks either.  Fail on my part for fully documenting  :sosad
1st pic: wide track Held kit (minus the shock).
2nd pic: rear coil over conversion kit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:38:34 AM by Thumper »

minihawn

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 06:19:54 AM »
I'm using the heldmotorsports (now west shore fabricating I believe) wide track front suspension kit and some fully adjustable coilovers.   On the rear I'm using a coil over conversion kit and an adapter for the wheels.  The wide track kit was spot on and bolted right up.  Very good quality. 
There's some pics under the Diablo section, pics of my 6ohh of my setup.
looked but didn't see from underneath
Fate has no choice

Havemurci

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:39 PM »
Ok, thanks. I think I understand.

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:31:45 PM »
Havemurci, this is way oversimplified but consider this example. A four inch travel shock has a compressed length of 10" and an extended length of 14". The stock suspension has the upper and lower shock mounts 12" apart at normal ride height so that the shock can travel 2" in compression and 2" in rebound during normal driving. When you lower the suspension by 2", it moves the two mounting points closer together by just less than 2" (the shock mount is not quite all the way to the end of the lower a-arm that was moved). Now the mount points are just over 10" apart and the shock still fully compresses at 10". The shock cannot compress more than a fraction of an inch during normal driving. Again, this is an example, the numbers may vary, it is intended to illustrate the situation.   

Thumper

• Liked: 31
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
I'm using the heldmotorsports (now west shore fabricating I believe) wide track front suspension kit and some fully adjustable coilovers.   On the rear I'm using a coil over conversion kit and an adapter for the wheels.  The wide track kit was spot on and bolted right up.  Very good quality. 
There's some pics under the Diablo section, pics of my 6ohh of my setup.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:20:37 PM by Thumper »

minihawn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »
im also planning to get wide track ... let me know how the shocks fit/look please..thanks
Fate has no choice

Havemurci

Shorter front shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
I'm running a stock '84 suspension with lowered springs (yet to arrive) and spacers. Anyone know or use this shock?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK1-Performance-Stiff-Shorter-Front-Shocks-Struts-For-Lowered-Pontiac-Fiero-127S-/161867966089?fits=Model:Fiero&hash=item25b0152689:g:S-QAAOSwv0tVGf3u&vxp=mtr
Don't know if my stock shocks will do until I can upgrade to wide track.::scratch