Author Topic: NAERC Build  (Read 53382 times)

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
Re: NAERC Build Questions
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 05:23:14 AM »
The floor pan prices would be very difficult to get a price on separately. They are part of a larger piece.
The laser cut pieces include the alignment cams, rear bearing uprights, control arm mounts, fuel tank, steering rack mounts, ball joint mounts, coilover mounts, door hinge mounts, brake and clutch master cylinder mounts  and all the sheet metal.

Order of assembly - start with the three main sections and build them first. Order does not matter. Use a laser to align the entire assembly and monitor during welding as it will bend as you are welding. It is wise to give the entire frame a bend before final welding. I'll explain......

With the frame three pieces (entire frame) tacked together turn it upside down. With a laser set it up so the center of the frame is about 1/2" higher than the two ends. When you weld all the bottom welds (top side now because it is upside down) it will pull it straight.

BTW, your sway bar mounts should align with the bottom edge, not the top.

SchulzeA

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 11:06:13 PM »
Print them on clear Mylar. Then you can lay your full scale prints on top of your completed parts, rather than laying out paper and moving your frame over top of the prints. Mylar will also take the abuse from being rolled up and kicked around the shop. ;)

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »
I finished ODC-9120, this one was a lot easier and lined up much better.  My idea is to print these sections full 1:1 size and use them as a template for when I start welding up the pieces.  Let me know if you see any problems or if I don't have the parts in the correct locations.  Also, is there a section you guys would recommend to start with building the chassis?

ODC-9120

ODC-9120 in 3D viewed from the top

ODC-9120 in 3D viewed from the bottom

Pedro

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
Just take the naerc CD that came with the drawings to a laser or water jet shop.
I used http://www.templetonandsons.com/
Cost me about $3000 to get everything cut and formed.

How much for just the floor pans an front wheel well to close off the cabin behind the front wheels ....wheel well area an how many pieces will this be ,no hurry for a answer when you get time.
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

SchulzeA

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »
Dang that's high.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:52:36 AM »
ouch no wonder people think these things are expensive to build  ::huh

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 05:01:01 AM »
Just take the naerc CD that came with the drawings to a laser or water jet shop.
I used http://www.templetonandsons.com/
Cost me about $3000 to get everything cut and formed.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »
@ jdinner

That puts my mind at ease and it makes perfect sense.  I will adjust those members and since I will be building the center tunnel it should all be good.  Is there a place to get all of those other laser cut pieces?
Pedro

jdinner

• KwikerCars
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »
Autopro,
I have build a couple of these frames and the area in question must be build around the fiberglass tunnel.
If you do not have a fiberglass tunnel and plan on making your own, then go ahead and make your own fit properly.
I had to cut and rework this area to fit the fiberglass.
Trust me, this is NOT a structural area and nothing to worry about. You will find several areas that don't make sense. For example, the angle of 4030 and the angle of 3230 in section 9320 do not match even in the slightest.
Add flat bar to shape, add more weld, grind and smoothen. It's all good.....
As for your questions at the bottom of 4030, flat plates are available in the laser package to weld onto the ends of 4010 to make it match up. If it doesn't match up don't worry about, it is no big deal.

Just to put your mind at ease, this is a minor structural area.
Places you need to focus on are the rear of the front wheels openings and the engine bay to center cockpit attachment. I added extra triangles at all the main connectors to act as gussets.
Never had a problem.

Cheers;

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
Digibeam just spoke with me. He said "4050 is supposed to be on the bottom not the top, and it also laps over onto 4070 and supports it. The base 4010 should also be 60.75". That area of the plans are critical for the firewall and tunnel connections"

I do have 4050 on the bottom and 4060 on top.  Also 4010 is 60.75"  I just forgot to put that measurement on my drawing above.  Any ideas??
Pedro

SchulzeA

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:30:37 PM »
Digibeam just spoke with me. He said "4050 is supposed to be on the bottom not the top, and it also laps over onto 4070 and supports it. The base 4010 should also be 60.75". That area of the plans are critical for the firewall and tunnel connections"

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »
i saw one of these chassis about 4-5 weeks ago an it was matched up on top of each other at the firewall center tunnel opening

i would like to use the NAERC chassis main cabin floor steel members / using larger tubing members an add the chassis works front an rear section , to gain the 3" of foot peddle room

i have been asking for for measurements on the front , sides , steel members & the bottom firewall inner cross piece to make this  NAERC Base perimeter. an use one 20 gal gas tank on the passenger side

3210 = 49-5/8 side tubing
4010 = 60 3/4 main rear
3060 = 35 1/2 main front

Thanks guys... i can now build the base perimeter of the cabin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:27:58 PM by italianknightrider »
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

SchulzeA

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »
I would think you can modify it to suit your own needs. Do a fill weld and blend it in with a grinder or adjust your angles a bit. It will be a minor angle change to make it achieve the 1/8" from 5/16"
It's going to be more important that your console fits correct than filling the plans exactly IMO

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »
This is what the note says on the plans:
“Match the consul opening to the structural consul.  The structural consul was formed off an original car.  It was found to be out of square after we started building the chassis.”

Since I will be framing in metal for mi own center console measurements does that mean that I can adjust these pieces as I see fit for the center tunnel?
What about the sides and the 1/8” reveal?  Do I adjust those inward?
Pedro

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »
hm never noticed that
I think the center console area has to be built to your own specs anyway because the center tunnel may not match, I believe it says something like that in the plans.