Author Topic: ROOF LATCHES **  (Read 5176 times)

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: ROOF LATCHES **
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 07:42:57 PM »
this is how I'm going to do interior front windshield pillar  Camaro T bar receivers  rear interior Protex Latches
top will have  those bullet pins loose not latched , tie down with protex. engine lid L S/S brackets with rubber grommet size of the pin. slide in and latch with GN  part. The GM latches are very small 3" long 3/4" high. very easy to open with out big force like hood latched . I've seen it on other car and it worked.
  Jim Dinner used a Miata latches on his red Roadster,  bottom line since NAERC parts are no avail use what ever works

I have A few ideas. Thank u for being specific. I'm also still struggling finding door glass
Fate has no choice

minihawn

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
If I were you, I would look into a corvette salvage yard, and take the parts off a corvette that has a removable top; and graft them onto your project.

::thumbup
Fate has no choice

Robert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »
If I were you, I would look into a corvette salvage yard, and take the parts off a corvette that has a removable top; and graft them onto your project.
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

minihawn

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 02:42:37 PM »
 ::scratch
Fate has no choice

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 01:55:53 PM »
Homework time.  Know what you are buying before the purchase.  Do you want the roof latches or do you want the storage latches?  How do they work?  What am I going to have to do to my body in order to install these latches?  Will I have to modify the latches in order to operate correctly?  How will they look after the installation?  Look at another Roadster or a build diary to see how another builder did it.  Expect to pay $$$$ for parts.
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

minihawn

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »
I'm using ( not installed yet) Pontiac Soltice or Saturn Sky same sh t  convertible top latches that are on rear deck , they also have chrome bezel that mounts on top of the lid, not expensive I think I paid like 100$ for a set incl, bezel brand new GM. oh the right side latch has different mounting so I got both LH.

Would u have a link on where to find them . I'm having trouble , as I don't know what there called

:)
Fate has no choice

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
if you need to call GM parts  Bezel emblem 1529357
 Latch is 15806629    special order only come from US. need pictures , I'll post it . on ebay or junk yard they pop up but very rare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqh7yAWpOWI

minihawn

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »
I'm using ( not installed yet) Pontiac Soltice or Saturn Sky same sh t  convertible top latches that are on rear deck , they also have chrome bezel that mounts on top of the lid, not expensive I think I paid like 100$ for a set incl, bezel brand new GM. oh the right side latch has different mounting so I got both LH.

Would u have a link on where to find them . I'm having trouble , as I don't know what there called
Fate has no choice

minihawn

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »
This is what was used in the Diablo Roadster but there are other ideas as well:

For the front of the roof/windshield pillars (there is also a set of clips and bracket as well in the front of the roof)

For the Roof and the engine bonnet:

NEARC's Blue Roadster

The pins are mounted on the roof and as you can see the latches are on the engine bonnet. You push the roof on the engine bonnet and it will latch on, same if you put it on as a roof, push to latch on, to release the roof you use the handle, the latches are spring loaded. Almost like OEM, make a cover box and cover the latch on the engine bonnet like OEM. You can even use 2-WIRE ACTUATOR to control the latches electronically...

I have them :)

CCIE

I need these, how much and when can I buy?
Fate has no choice

CCIE

• Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 08:01:11 PM »
This is what was used in the Diablo Roadster but there are other ideas as well:

For the front of the roof/windshield pillars (there is also a set of clips and bracket as well in the front of the roof)

For the Roof and the engine bonnet:

NEARC's Blue Roadster

The pins are mounted on the roof and as you can see the latches are on the engine bonnet. You push the roof on the engine bonnet and it will latch on, same if you put it on as a roof, push to latch on, to release the roof you use the handle, the latches are spring loaded. Almost like OEM, make a cover box and cover the latch on the engine bonnet like OEM. You can even use 2-WIRE ACTUATOR to control the latches electronically...

I have them :)

CCIE
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:03:14 PM by CCIE »

minihawn

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 07:25:31 PM »

Interesting! Thanks bud
Fate has no choice

eddie

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »

minihawn

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 02:26:31 PM »
awesome ! 8)
Fate has no choice

rodrieguz

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 77
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 01:12:23 PM »
Get the hood latches , cable & pins from a mid 2000 saab 9 series.  The hood use a bullet style pin .  Use these on the rear of the car and decklid.  The other protex latches are for the front.   You ll also need a  seperate slim pin only for the front too!  You have to weld a piece of round tube to the front roll bar next to latches.   Look at pics I f how lamborghini did it and this will make some sense

eddie

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:21:33 AM »
Not on the engine lid,you'll need different  set up.
Since the one from NAERC are no longer avail
Must mod something else.