How To - Tips > Glass

**Questions about plexiglass

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bartman:
Acrylic and poly got bad reputations mostly because people bought them too thin.  Every window in a airplane, from a small plane to a commercial jet liner is polycabonate.  They do scratch easier than glass of course but that's the only real down side.  If you are dealing with custom glass, you could afford to change them out when they get scratched many times and still be ahead of getting custom glass made.  There are at least 2 polycarbonate auto glass makers making a mark in the industry as well.

minihawn:

--- Quote from: 76mx on November 16, 2015, 09:51:18 PM ---Lexan(polycarbonate) is available standard, scratch proof one side, or scratchproof both sides. It is heat formable just like acrylic but the process kills the scratchproofing to some degree. Use the 1/4 thick, not just because it adds rigidity, but all of the commonly available felts, tracks, and channels are for 1/4.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a plan

76mx:
Lexan(polycarbonate) is available standard, scratch proof one side, or scratchproof both sides. It is heat formable just like acrylic but the process kills the scratchproofing to some degree. Use the 1/4 thick, not just because it adds rigidity, but all of the commonly available felts, tracks, and channels are for 1/4.

minihawn:

--- Quote from: 01Lambiero on November 16, 2015, 02:13:38 PM ---Are you going to have operating windows?  Are you thinking of 3/16 inch or 1/4 inch thick?
Plexiglass: cheaper than Lexan but scratches easily.  Heat to 450 degrees for 12 minutes and lay on a curved form.  You will need a large oven for a 16x46 window.  A heat gun does not make for a smooth curve.
Lexan: Sort of resistant to scratching but there are polish and coat kits for that.  Lexan can be cold bent but has recoil when released.  You have to overbend it.  In my feeble brain, I came up with a roller jig which should be able to do a cold bend on Lexan which has the paper on both sides to protect the finish.  The jig would have to be maybe 48 inches in length.  Diameter of rollers would be optional.  Looks good on paper.  ::thumbup ::scratch ::zzzzz

--- End quote ---

Working Windows and thinking 1/4 (good?) Thank u for such a precise response. ::salute

01Lambiero:
Are you going to have operating windows?  Are you thinking of 3/16 inch or 1/4 inch thick?
Plexiglass: cheaper than Lexan but scratches easily.  Heat to 450 degrees for 12 minutes and lay on a curved form.  You will need a large oven for a 16x46 window.  A heat gun does not make for a smooth curve.
Lexan: Sort of resistant to scratching but there are polish and coat kits for that.  Lexan can be cold bent but has recoil when released.  You have to overbend it.  In my feeble brain, I came up with a roller jig which should be able to do a cold bend on Lexan which has the paper on both sides to protect the finish.  The jig would have to be maybe 48 inches in length.  Diameter of rollers would be optional.  Looks good on paper.  ::thumbup ::scratch ::zzzzz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version