Author Topic: Hello from Texas  (Read 3037 times)

JJS SE30

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 19
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Re: Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:11 PM »
Hello Jim,
     Glad to have another Newbie aboard!  A lot of us go through the slow process on our builds but manage to help each other out.  This is a great forum that you will find motivational as well as helpful.  Good luck with your build.  ::thumbup

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:32:45 PM »
HAHAHAHA

That happens a LOT, at least you havent given up.  Keep reading the forum we TRY to motivate each other to "just keep swiming"

cobra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 07:42:02 AM »
 ::waveWell, fast forward 2 1/2 years + and the car still sets on dollies inside my shop.  I did find and order the door lock but that's about it.  Hope to find time this year to finish it.  However, due to health issues I will not be able to do much of the work myself but will try and start a build thread and update it as I can. Hard to find anyone to do body and paint work at the price I'm use to paying myself.  :LL:

Cobra

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »
Thanks everone for the welcome.
Tallon, Yes I did buy all the molds and a comercial type fiberglass chop gun that can be used to make the Countach repicas to fit a Non streached fiero.  I was told the molds had been used to make about 20 bodies.  At this time I do not intend to make any kits.  I understand the process, but something I've never done--not to say I want try in the future.

For now, I just want to complete the one that is started.  I'll open a build thread of it and post my progress.

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 05:01:08 PM »
Welcome! Where in Texas are you? Im in Austin- I finished my Diablo Roadster a year ago, if your not in my area and need something from here- just let me know! If you live near here- Lets Party! ::headbang

madmods

• Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:54 PM »
Welcome Cobra,
these cars are labor of love. Post a build diary, alot of talented builders on here.
Keep dreaming-I'm sweating, glassing, welding and building every night!
Gagliardi Vendetta
Vetter Carrera Gt
Vetter Lp 640

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
Hi Jim welcome! Looking forward to seeing your build
So you bought a kit AND the molds to make kits?  ::scratch

For latches I think the only difference would be the front driver side latch can't be locked when you open the door to get out, so you can't lock your keys inside, that's why I wanted the rears instead because I don't care for that feature :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:48:31 PM by Tallon »

Cobra

Hello from Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
Hello,  ::wave My name is Jim and I live in Texas.  Great WEB Site. LP640 pointed it out to me.  I have always enjoyed  all types of cars, have owned many and repaired a lot.  My Grandson and I have rebuilt a number of Pontiac Fieros and other cars over the years.   Currently have a number of Fieros, both GTs and SE models as well as other toys.  About two years ago I purchased a 87 Fiero Gt from an individual in a nearby city.  At the time I went to pick it up the owner, Roger,  showed me two of his Lamborghini Countach replica cars that were being built.  He said he had halted the building of them because he could find anyone to do the work. He indicated he was interested in selling the entire operation, but at that time I was not interest in such an adventure, well really I was ;)--but my Wife wasn't.
Now fast forward to Mach of this year,  I had bought another 87 Fiero GT from Ca. and it needed a transmission. I remembered Roger with the Lambo stuff and contacted  him.  Sure enough, he had a spare transmission and told me I could have it.  My Grandson and I went to pick up only to find transmission was still in the car.   A week later we went back with my car hauler trailer and picked it up. While at Rogers he showed me all the Lambo stuff he still had and also still wanted to sell.  So I ended up buying everything he had. 
 The deal included all the Fiberglass molds for the Lamborghini Countach replica , A complete commercial fiberglass chop gun system,  one kit with the body already attached to a 87 Fiero GT, to include the doors, trunk and hood  being hinged and installed, also another complete fiberglass body that will need metal reinforcement bars installed.  One 87 Body that had partialy been mofified to accept the new body. Also, all types of miscellaneous parts.  For now I do not plan to make any additional fiberglass bodies.
I just want to try and complete the one car.  I would estimate it to be 60% complete. Although I have  repaired and rebuild many vehicles in my life, this will be my first kit car. I plan to do all the work myself, except for the upholstery.  So I am glad I found this site and look forward to reading all the info I can find.
In my mind, my to do list is:

Door locks & Struts
Eng & front trunk locks and struts
Head lights
Tail lights
Determine what additional places I need to attach body to chassis and drill out as needed.
Windshield wiper
Door, hood and trunk gaskets- was thinking it might be good to have some type of rubber bumper on the bottom of the door where it rest on sill plate.
Remove body -clean and paint chassis, prep, prime and paint body and reinstall.
Install Windshield and other windows
Wheel well enclosures - right now you can look through the rear wheel well and see the engine--Don't think the original enclosures will be wide enough.  I think I saw a set of molds that I can use to make the enclosures.
Upholstery work
Everything else that I have not thought of to include the drive train check out..

The list is in no special order, just the ones that come to my mind. At some point I would plan to put in a 3800 SC engine, something I already have and was planning on installing in one of my other GTs.
One of my first questions is about the door locks.  Somewhere I read that I needed Mercedes W126 which I have found on Ebay. However, if thats what I need,  do I need the front or rear ones? I already have new electric solenoids for the locks.
 Will post all my other questions in the respective thread.  Once I learn how, I'll try and post some before photos.
Again, great site and please bear with all my questions to come.

Jim
The Fieroman