Author Topic: 1980 Diablo Roadster Replica, 22000 miles for $54,900 for sale currently on eBay  (Read 13549 times)

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
I will probably get booted off here for this but im tired of holding back. 1 i been on this for a little while now, my best friend built a lp640 coupe completely from the ground up, and yes do to the fact he did have the knawladge and skill it cost him a boat load less. but first i want to say you have alot of great great builders on here so this is not knocking your work.

number 1, im tired of seeing replicas for 95k and 55k, a set of door hinges my friend could replicate in 45 minutes going for 400 bucks when the price to build a good set it like 60 maybe 100 and please don't bother to argue this with me i know, i promise.

small fiberglass parts going for 800 or 900 i actually had a guy quote me like 1300 bucjs for a set of replica tail lights, give me a break i can buy a actual set of lp640 lights for that.
You cant expect to get 60 or 70k or 95k for a replica, sorry but if your buying into that you have built your self up way way too much, yup its a shocker right lol seriously guys come on get real.

you can almost buy a used one for that price, and if i dont't get banned for this post, im.gonna start exposing people when i see people post a replica at that price.

let me give you an example, i buy a lets just say a Audi and i fix it up swap a new motor etc, its old though, has some miles but even though i dropped 10k in it, im not getting anymore than blue book.

im sick at the fact people are doing this, and just saying, you might as well kick me off now. ok so i spoke my mind, now im gone.

Aman... :notworthy lol
Fate has no choice

faker

• Liked: 26
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
I will probably get booted off here for this but im tired of holding back. 1 i been on this for a little while now, my best friend built a lp640 coupe completely from the ground up, and yes do to the fact he did have the knawladge and skill it cost him a boat load less. but first i want to say you have alot of great great builders on here so this is not knocking your work.

number 1, im tired of seeing replicas for 95k and 55k, a set of door hinges my friend could replicate in 45 minutes going for 400 bucks when the price to build a good set it like 60 maybe 100 and please don't bother to argue this with me i know, i promise.

small fiberglass parts going for 800 or 900 i actually had a guy quote me like 1300 bucjs for a set of replica tail lights, give me a break i can buy a actual set of lp640 lights for that.
You cant expect to get 60 or 70k or 95k for a replica, sorry but if your buying into that you have built your self up way way too much, yup its a shocker right lol seriously guys come on get real.

you can almost buy a used one for that price, and if i dont't get banned for this post, im.gonna start exposing people when i see people post a replica at that price.

let me give you an example, i buy a lets just say a Audi and i fix it up swap a new motor etc, its old though, has some miles but even though i dropped 10k in it, im not getting anymore than blue book.

im sick at the fact people are doing this, and just saying, you might as well kick me off now. ok so i spoke my mind, now im gone.

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
I checked with Georgia DMV today. So without a certificate of origin or receipts I need 2 Lamborghini dealerships to do appraisals. Take the highest appraisal and times it by 2. That number is the total bond I must purchase. So if they say 50k then 100k is my bond. At 1 to 5 % of 100k, that's $1000 and $5000, and numerous paperwork and $118.00. I also have to have an inspector be dispatched to verify there is no vin. The in 2 to 3 months another inspector will be dispatched to inspect the car for road worthiness. Once all this is done, I mail all paperwork in and in 4 to 6 weeks I receive a vin tag. I must then attach to the car and set up another inspection to verify and submit a new form that the vin is indeed attached. Then in 2 to 3 weeks I will receive the title and off to registration process I go. All the time, if there are any hiccups, I have already purchased the car and if It fails, now I have a nice garage ornament. Not to mention, finding 2 Lambo dealerships within close distance and if they even will do an appraisal. In conclusion for all kit car enthusiasts, make sure all build documents and certificates and paperwork are sold with a car when you but it...otherwise....huge pain and the car is not worth what the price paid was.

So did you buy this car?

Its not hard at all to get a kit car registered, the people you spoke to are morons or you didnt explain the situation clearly . A lambo dealership cannot and will not appraise a fake , unless you're talking about a trade in appraisal . Sure theyll offer you $5000 as a trade on a real lambo

But that is completely separate from the missing vin issue . If this car was brought over the border without following the proper EPA /dot procedure and the govt finds out, not only will you Not be able to keep it in your garage , they'll seize it

And if an insurance company paid out for this car as a stolen car , its now their car and they can seize it too!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:48:05 AM by Tusabes »

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
It was sold without a vin to hide the fact it was already paid off by an insurance company as stolen , and illegally imported to the USA

So the new USA buyer could act like they built it here in the USA and get a new vin

Very Unlikely Toronto would do anythjng as the car is in the USA now , the best course of action is reporting it where it us currently located , along with maybe the USA dot/EPA
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:41:36 AM by Tusabes »

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
So the plot thickens......

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
I built the car with purchased parts. I ordered each item and the person that commissioned the build paid all the bills. What is very curious to me is why it was sold without a VIN number.  I just reported this to Metro Toronto Police.
I took the car to a frame testing place to get it measured and registered as a rebuilt Lamborghini. I still have the VIN recorded and gave it MTP.  Let's see where this goes. 

lambobuilder

• Liked: 208
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
Jim's Diablo was sold to a gentleman in Dallas.  I believe it was registered in Texas. If so the title should be transferable to another state.  I road in the car when it was in Dallas but will try to see if I can find pictures with plates.

Havemurci

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 89
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
I have no dog in this fight but I' sure the person you talked to at GA DMV does not understand the situation or the car. This is going to take the buyer to understand what needs to be done and be savvy and knowledgeable enough to work through it. For instance here in PA if the car is a bunch of parts car like most kits, then you have a choice how to proceed, if you say it's a kit,or "Special Construction" they want a Statement of Origin. Most kits I have purchased are 2nd,3rd or 5th hand and that paperwork is long gone so I apply for "Modified Vehicle" no Cetrificate nessasary.
You may have called it a Lambo when you spoke to the clerk and that's all they know to tell you. Try to explain to them what the actual vehicle is.
Everyone here knows that car is worth a little hassle, few are that well built. Tell the owner about the struggle and work a deal on price because of it, but you will have to bone up on DMV criteria on your own so you know how to navigate this. Or buy real like Eddie said. My .02.
Good luck. 

eddie

• Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
Why would they need a Lamborghini appraisal when it's not a Lamborghini? It should have custom car appraisal . Lamborghini will take the car since it's not alowed to resale copy. You can build anything you want as long as it is for your self not for making money out of it.
20 people 20 different answers .
Buy real one ,you'll be better of

mhotmarkx1

• Liked: 9
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
I checked with Georgia DMV today. So without a certificate of origin or receipts I need 2 Lamborghini dealerships to do appraisals. Take the highest appraisal and times it by 2. That number is the total bond I must purchase. So if they say 50k then 100k is my bond. At 1 to 5 % of 100k, that's $1000 and $5000, and numerous paperwork and $118.00. I also have to have an inspector be dispatched to verify there is no vin. The in 2 to 3 months another inspector will be dispatched to inspect the car for road worthiness. Once all this is done, I mail all paperwork in and in 4 to 6 weeks I receive a vin tag. I must then attach to the car and set up another inspection to verify and submit a new form that the vin is indeed attached. Then in 2 to 3 weeks I will receive the title and off to registration process I go. All the time, if there are any hiccups, I have already purchased the car and if It fails, now I have a nice garage ornament. Not to mention, finding 2 Lambo dealerships within close distance and if they even will do an appraisal. In conclusion for all kit car enthusiasts, make sure all build documents and certificates and paperwork are sold with a car when you but it...otherwise....huge pain and the car is not worth what the price paid was.

minihawn

• Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
"car was illegally imported into the USA without a vin"?  Without a VIN or Title, is it not a car but a pile of auto parts?  The DMV does not want to make trouble for anyone as THEY ONLY WANT MORE MONEY.   (Not the same but) I purchased a Texas built car hauler from a man in Michigan who was selling it for his son who had just moved to MI from OK.  It did not have a title.  I had to get it weighed for the DMV.  Without a title, the weight slip description was that the trailer was "Constructed".  The DMV wanted me to show all of my invoices to prove that the taxes had been paid for the steel.  I told them that the ID plate had been painted over and the serial number could not be found.  I had to show my bill of sale and after arguing with them, I finally asked them "What am I going to have to do to get a license plate for my trailer?"  They disappeared around the corner and came back and told me $187 please. ;-)

lol
Fate has no choice

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
"car was illegally imported into the USA without a vin"?  Without a VIN or Title, is it not a car but a pile of auto parts?  The DMV does not want to make trouble for anyone as THEY ONLY WANT MORE MONEY.   (Not the same but) I purchased a Texas built car hauler from a man in Michigan who was selling it for his son who had just moved to MI from OK.  It did not have a title.  I had to get it weighed for the DMV.  Without a title, the weight slip description was that the trailer was "Constructed".  The DMV wanted me to show all of my invoices to prove that the taxes had been paid for the steel.  I told them that the ID plate had been painted over and the serial number could not be found.  I had to show my bill of sale and after arguing with them, I finally asked them "What am I going to have to do to get a license plate for my trailer?"  They disappeared around the corner and came back and told me $187 please. ;-) 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:07:02 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

RUNDLC

• Liked: 5
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Isnt this the car that our friend Jim Dinner built? Didn't he post all the build pics showing what he used to build the car? I doubt very seriously that any stolen parts would have been used. Couldn't the prospective buyer contact Jim and get a build sheet of everything he put into the build?

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Nobody knows when I am joking with such a dry sense of humor. I meant for being serious to be funny too.

Rob James

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
Sorry Charley, I was taking you quite literally..........in that you were offering $100.00. I thought that was quite comical, ie: it's what you thought it was worth. But I take Tusabes point to heart, it could be a real mess for the owner, or future owners, given it's current state of legal limbo.

Rob,  ::beers

Still it did make me smile and turned my thoughts from day to day tribulations. So again I thank, you for bringing a smile to my face.