How To - Tips > Fuel System

Any tricks to expand Fuel filler hose?

<< < (3/4) > >>

eddie:
Drill and tap small 1/8" ntp insert 1/8" ntp small pie and one on the tank. Run a hose from one end to other .
I think about 2" bellow the fuel filler cap.

Anybody has different idea? Let's help the guy out

notnilc20:
But there is no air relief hose. I think it is built into the factory filler neck. If there is some relief hose somewhere i haven't touched it or seen it so it should still be working but as far as there being one running parallel with the main fuel filler line there is not one. I even went to the salvage yard to confirm this. My donor is a 2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula. Any other ideas?

eddie:
That is your problem you must have air relieve hose . No matter what size
It will be very slow to fill
Go to junk yard and get new filler tube they all have breather outlet to hook up .

notnilc20:
I thought about reducing the pipe but i'm trying to keep the inner diameter at 1". I am having issues at the fuel pump filling the car with gas because of the sharp 90 degree turns in my 3/4" ID fuel filler pipe so i am going up to 1" ID fuel safe rubber hose and lessen the sharp turns. Side note: no my car doesn't have a relief air line at the fuel line.

Ok so the pipe had threads on the end of it so i grinded the threads off and that gave me barely enough room to get the hose on there. Now i have a new yet similar problem. The pipe coming off the fuel tank is a plastic material same material the fuel tank is made of and it has a rim around the end that is supposed to keep the hose from sliding off easy even though you can clamp it on. I seriously doubt i will be able to get this stiff fuel line over that rim. Here are my options if i cant stretch the line over that rim.

1) scrap the 1" line that I paid $50 for and step up to 1 1/4" or 1 1/8".
Benefit: is fuel will flow even better.
Con:But I wasted yet more money on this build. 

2) find a way to cut the plastic nozzle behind the rim that's blocking me (it's tucked away in a hard to reach spot and getting anything in there good enough to cut it will not be fun) and i will be able to slide the 1" hose over what's left fairly easy.
Benefit: save money and time (don't have to wait for parts). Probably can finish it today.
Con: i will ruin the fuel tank if it doesn't work then I will need to replace that as well. Meaning more money and time. 

So I ask you fellow builders. What would you do? Play it safe and go option 1? Or take the gamble and see how far this rabbit hole goes and go with option 2?

My perspective. If this was the beginning of my build it would be easy to say option 1 and put more money into it but now that i'm towards the end of the build and just re doing a few things i'm tired of throwing more and more money at it. So i'm always looking to save time and money. However i don't know if it's worth modding the tank to save $50. But it does seem pretty straight forward.

Sorry for the long post but the boards have been slow lately so i figure what can it hurt?  Hehe.

Thanks for your replies guys/gals. Look forward to reading what would you do? 

eddie:
Can you just use a metal reducer ? Shorten the pipe or hose
But maybe there's a better idea

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version