Author Topic: **Ideas for interior brackets /mounts / donor steering column  (Read 4641 times)

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: **Ideas for interior brackets /mounts / donor steering column
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 02:16:58 PM »
ok guys, what about the steering column cover?? if thats what its called
Fate has no choice

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »
I did not mean to say that the Sebring or any other column was a bad choice, I meant that this column was a better choice in my opinion. The simplicity of an entire system designed to be interchangeable is going to be cheaper, easier, and quicker in the long run. Also, this way the column can be purchased the exact length needed for this particular application and the DD shaft can be cut to the exact required linkage length.

AdrianBurton

• Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:08:31 AM »
there are quite a few using the Sebring column, I am

minihawn

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »
Minihawn,
   In considering a column, you should also consider the linkage to the steering box. Most salvage yard columns have a "Rag Joint" that will not bend far enough to fit the angles required for a cab forward design like this. It will take at least one double u-joint with the intermediate support that must be used on that and then at least one more single u-joint fitted to the splines of the steering box. With a Flaming River or Ididit column, all of this linkage is standard 1"D-D shaft and off the shelf for $100 total. A knock off of those columns is under $200 from RPC and everything fits. The salvage column may be cheaper initially but you are going to spend a lot of time and money on linkage to get it all working together. Either way, attached is an example of an efficient bracket that supports the column, pedals, and dash. Good luck.

vary clean  ::thumbup
Fate has no choice

Havemurci

• Liked: 89
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 07:26:39 PM »
Sombody chime in, I thought the Sebring Column was a great fit w/o much retrofitting, am I off base?

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 07:21:01 PM »
Minihawn,
   In considering a column, you should also consider the linkage to the steering box. Most salvage yard columns have a "Rag Joint" that will not bend far enough to fit the angles required for a cab forward design like this. It will take at least one double u-joint with the intermediate support that must be used on that and then at least one more single u-joint fitted to the splines of the steering box. With a Flaming River or Ididit column, all of this linkage is standard 1"D-D shaft and off the shelf for $100 total. A knock off of those columns is under $200 from RPC and everything fits. The salvage column may be cheaper initially but you are going to spend a lot of time and money on linkage to get it all working together. Either way, attached is an example of an efficient bracket that supports the column, pedals, and dash. Good luck. 

minihawn

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:22:06 AM »
I got plenty of pics shoot me a text for pics.

Go here and print off all the pages related to the diablo so you can see how some of the panels go together.
http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/lamborghini/diablo-roadster-1998/interior

some use a cavalier column, sebring column and the alpha 164 column is not that expensive similar to what the diablo uses.

Awsome ! I shot an email with my number. My old phone had ur number . Please pm it to me again
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:32:35 AM by minihawn »
Fate has no choice

rodrieguz

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 77
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »
I got plenty of pics shoot me a text for pics.

Go here and print off all the pages related to the diablo so you can see how some of the panels go together.
http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/lamborghini/diablo-roadster-1998/interior

some use a cavalier column, sebring column and the alpha 164 column is not that expensive similar to what the diablo uses.

minihawn

**Ideas for interior brackets /mounts / donor steering column
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 01:19:45 AM »
Sounds like a simple question ,  but I was just wondering if anyone had some fab ideas for a straight forward install/mounting and removal of the interior. . My cockpit is open with no dash mounts at all. Also any good donor staring columns
Fate has no choice