Author Topic: Any suggestions on how to fix this.....  (Read 2605 times)

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
Re: Any suggestions on how to fix this.....
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 04:31:31 PM »
I made my door skins removable.  It is a lot of work but will make working on the door much easier.
I made the flange on the inner door shell removable then bonded the skin to that.
As for this misalignment, the door skin will need to be flexed into position.  If you make removable door skins, like I did, you can adjust the flange to suit then bond the skins on.
I would not fill that much of a misalignment with filler.
Nobody said this was going to be easy.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

minihawn

• Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »
Thank u for that useful information
Fate has no choice

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 11:46:40 AM »
There are NO SET RULES when building a replica except maybe safety.  Even safety is sometimes overlooked.  Try not to criticize but be objective and positive.
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Robert

• Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 08:47:45 PM »
I personally would not make the door skins removable, I have never seen a car with removable skins. I would make sure there is plenty of access from the inside.  The poor fitting panel need to be filled with marglass, you will have to extend the marglass a long ways to make it look good. This is a lot of weight. You may want to get is looking good with clay, and splash it, and make a new panel. My 2 cents.
i prefer to not use mar glass  to fill a whole more then 1/4 i would rather get it as close as i can first then use duraglass ...u have never seen removable door skins and ur a Sr Member???  ::scratch
Fiber glass does not have a metal hem to crimp. Bonding the outer and inner shells of the door, will give you a stronger door. My body kit came with fiber glass inner and outer shells. They will be bonded together.
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

minihawn

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
I personally would not make the door skins removable, I have never seen a car with removable skins. I would make sure there is plenty of access from the inside.  The poor fitting panel need to be filled with marglass, you will have to extend the marglass a long ways to make it look good. This is a lot of weight. You may want to get is looking good with clay, and splash it, and make a new planel. My 2 cents.
i prefer to not use mar glass  to fill a whole more then 1/4 i would rather get it as close as i can first then use duraglass ...u have never seen removable door skins and ur a Sr Member???  ::scratch
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:39:17 PM by minihawn »
Fate has no choice

Robert

• Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:22:40 PM »
I personally would not make the door skins removable, I have never seen a car these days with removable composite skins. I would make sure there is plenty of access from the inside.  The poor fitting panel need to be filled with marglass, you will have to extend the marglass a long ways to make it look good. This is a lot of weight. You may want to get is looking good with clay, and splash it, and make a new planel. My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:29:17 PM by Robert »
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

minihawn

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 01:48:31 PM »
Hey guys, it's me again.  Im making my door skins removable but at the moment with the door skin just sitting on , it doesn't seem to line up in the middle, it dose at the TOP and BOTTOM.... it's sort of dips in in the middle which I hope you can see from the picture. Anyhow I have a couple of different ways in which I feel I can repair this but I'm open to opinions thank you .ps if you need more pictures I'd be happy
Modify message
Fate has no choice

minihawn

Any suggestions on how to fix this.....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »
 Hey guys, it's me again.  Im making my door skins removable but at the moment with the door skin just sitting on , it doesn't seem to line up in the middle, it dose at the TOP and BOTTOM.... it's sort of dips in in the middle which I hope you can see from the picture. Anyhow I have a couple of different ways in which I feel I can repair this but I'm open to opinions thank you .ps if you need more pictures I'd be happy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:49:17 PM by minihawn »
Fate has no choice