Author Topic: What wall size for my roof steel?  (Read 1902 times)

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: What wall size for my roof steel?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
Quite welcome, readily available is always a good thing.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 07:21:59 AM »
Thanks Charley.  I am going to use a mig to weld this cage. I think I will just opt for the 11 gauge ERW.
It is readily available so if I need more on the fly it is a quick trip to the supply house and I am back in business.

As always, thanks for taking the time to reply

Mike

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 11:54:46 PM »
Mike,
   That 1/8 stuff is actually 11 gauge, the ERW 1010 common tubing is by gauge and that is as thin as it goes for that size. You can get .083 wall, which is a typical size used in chassis construction, in a more expensive alloy and DOM, but no need to bother. There is less than half a pound difference per foot in the two. Even if you use 20 feet, you are still looking at less than 10 pounds difference. The more important factor is whether you are going to mig or tig it. If it is probably mig, you will be glad to have that extra wall thickness. 

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
What wall size for my roof steel?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »
Hey guys,
Looking for some feedback on this. I am planning on building a roll cage/body support that will be sandwiched in between the roof skin and interior trim.  I plan on using 1-1/4" inch square tubing which I already purchased dies for to fit my tubing roller. So I am committed to using that size. I am unsure of the proper wall thickness to use? The local place I get steel from stocks what they are calling 1/8" inch wall. Is this overkill? Should I be looking at .083 wall instead?

Any input is appreciated, Thanks

Mike