Author Topic: Is it possible to use a transfer case???  (Read 7498 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Is it possible to use a transfer case???
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »
No pictures yet. I wasted a lot of time listening to others and now I'm doing this my own way. I'm building my own chain drive drop box transfer case. Using the guts from a NP203. A chain drive gives the correct output rotation and won't be noisy like straight cut gears. And a chain drive is an easier build than gears if you are doing it from scratch.
An SCS box will be a $1000+.

How are you changing the rotation with a chain drive gear box if it is rotating CC (looking from the front of the car?
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Graeme Stebbing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 30
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 12:13:09 AM »
Hi Leon, I have been thinking of going the same route, and changing from the 1uz and 016 to the m70 with a v drive, do you find the v drives noisy, the only one I have ever heard was in a Batmobile replica on a film set video, and it put me off completely, I sounded more like a supercharger whining on full boost, and it was only doing 20mph, can you advice your experience with the v drives

ActiveLife

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »
Sideways and Schulze,

I too have considered this as a viable option for the drivetrain.  I hope there can be more discussion on this topic and additional brainstorming which I'd like to be involved with.

Does anyone have update or progress to this idea?

-Active

Beyondcustom

• Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
    • Beyond Custom
Is it possible to use a transfer case???
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:04:54 PM »
We have 3 cars running V-drive set ups, so nice having direct shifter feel at your finger tips and better weight distribution, plus the added bonus of running auto and no power limitations
Leon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:04:16 PM by Beyondcustom »

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:23:23 AM »
No pictures yet. I wasted a lot of time listening to others and now I'm doing this my own way. I'm building my own chain drive drop box transfer case. Using the guts from a NP203. A chain drive gives the correct output rotation and won't be noisy like straight cut gears. And a chain drive is an easier build than gears if you are doing it from scratch.
An SCS box will be a $1000+.

sidewayswizzard

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 06:23:24 AM »
Any photos of the setup? what are you using, V-drive or T-case?

I'm using the same layout. You have to flip the front differential to use it in the rear position. Proper oiling of the differential components may be an issue as the diff was not designed to run upside down.

There's not enough room to stuff a full 4x4 transfer case under the car. You need a simplistic single speed transfer case/drop box like SCS makes or a V-Drive.

Look into the TR6060 corvette trans. You can bolt the drop box right on the rear of the trans. This setup allows you to have one less driveshaft, direct oiling from the trans and a overall lighter weight setup.

I think there are a few advantages which is why I'm at least interested in using it. Aesthetics for one weight distribution, limitless transmission options and the same for Diffs if the rotation issue can be sorted out. I like launching and driving like a general Yahoo most of the time and I have a feeling with 450 plus wheel horse power an Audi transaxle won't cut it.

The short answer is yes, not because the diff is correct, but because the V-drive will let you turn either way. At least on the marine drives that I am familiar with, the case can mesh the input gear and the output gear together and make the shafts rotate in opposite directions, or it can add a third gear in between them and make the shafts rotate the same direction. What is the advantage of using such a more expensive, complicated, and cumbersome system?   

If I went the V-drive route I've heard the Casale Units are good. What do the SCS boxes run price wise? I couldn't find any pricing on the website. Wouldn't a chain drive bring the same issues with Diff rotation as the 4x4 T-case?

The differential input needs to turn CCW viewing from the front of the car (if you're using a 4x4 front axle). Otherwise you'll load the gears incorrect. Then use a 3 gear V-Drive, 3 gear drop box or a chain drive.
The attached picture is a SCS box. Same principal as a v-drive but a lot stronger.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:54:12 PM »
The differential input needs to turn CCW viewing from the front of the car (if you're using a 4x4 front axle). Otherwise you'll load the gears incorrect. Then use a 3 gear V-Drive, 3 gear drop box or a chain drive.
The attached picture is a SCS box. Same principal as a v-drive but a lot stronger.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:48:32 PM »
The short answer is yes, not because the diff is correct, but because the V-drive will let you turn either way. At least on the marine drives that I am familiar with, the case can mesh the input gear and the output gear together and make the shafts rotate in opposite directions, or it can add a third gear in between them and make the shafts rotate the same direction. What is the advantage of using such a more expensive, complicated, and cumbersome system?   

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »
I'm using the same layout. You have to flip the front differential to use it in the rear position. Proper oiling of the differential components may be an issue as the diff was not designed to run upside down.

There's not enough room to stuff a full 4x4 transfer case under the car. You need a simplistic single speed transfer case/drop box like SCS makes or a V-Drive.

Look into the TR6060 corvette trans. You can bolt the drop box right on the rear of the trans. This setup allows you to have one less driveshaft, direct oiling from the trans and a overall lighter weight setup.

sidewayswizzard

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Is it possible to use a transfer case???
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 05:43:27 AM »
Howdy all.

I've had an idea..... I'm going the tube chassis route and instead of using a transaxle I was thinking of using a V-drive setup like Kevkev done a few years ago.
They are a bit pricey which is fine... But while researching a bit on Kit central someone noted a build they done for a customer where they used a normal Longitudinal engine trans package (which I was wanting to do with a V-drive) but instead used a 4x4 T-case. They didn't mention what they did with the Differential and whether they flipped it or used a diff that runs the other way.
Now while doing yet more research on some of the 4x4 forums where people are using the same recipe in order to make all wheel drive mid engine TT's they mentioned just Flipping the diff in most cases.
I'd find this hard to do on a road car personally as it seems a bit of a bodge running the diff on the coast side rather than the load side.

Now I started thinking about using the front Diff from a 4x4 as in my mind it would run in reverse when loaded in the same way but put in the position of a rear differential. Now this is where I've gone and confused myself and no matter how long I sit there spinning pens and pencils around I can't quite come to a conclusion. An added bonus is that the front diff will likely be offset which I'd need.

Any thoughts on this, can anyone answer the question weather or not a front diff placed in the rear would work in the right direction in this setup?