Author Topic: Diablo roadster cooling system  (Read 12879 times)

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
Re: Diablo roadster cooling system
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »
I would like see too , just curious
You tube it and post here link
Thanks

mhotmarkx1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 9
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »

rasexy

• Liked: 0
  • Ready,set,go
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2016, 08:06:03 AM »
This site wont let me post the video due to format issues. Send me your email addresss and i will forward it to you

mhotmarkx1

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 03:11:30 PM »
That would be awesome. I can't wait.thx

rasexy

• Ready,set,go
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2016, 01:35:04 PM »
if you need, I can do a video and email it to you.

rasexy

• Ready,set,go
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
I dont have any yet. I will get some in the next day or two and then will post it for you.

mhotmarkx1

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2016, 12:08:23 PM »
Do you have any photos??? of the holes and how your system is schematically set up.

rasexy

• Ready,set,go
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 09:14:04 PM »
 ::bounceAfter reading several posts on here, I took my Diablo Roadster to a specialty racing shop. My problem was after running for 30 min under 50 mph or 10 min at 60mph i was going over 235 degrees. I dont know what front ends you have on yours but I had  only 2 round openings to force air to the radiator. With the down pressure of air on the hood, this reduced the air flow to the radiator. We made a 6 inch by 3 inch opening between the two round holes. They added a pan from this new opening to the radiator. Total cost..$800 with labor. The front end still looks great and best of all. Im running 165 degrees at 70-75 mph maintained speeds. Now the highest Ive seen it go was 190 while in heavy traffic stop and go in 96 degree weather.

rasexy

• Ready,set,go
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 01:35:10 PM »
I have a Diablo VT. I could drive it below 50 and it would stay around 180-200. Once going 60 mph or more, it would get too hot. I took it to the shop and was told it did not have a thermistate on it. They put one in and flushed the sysem. It still is running hot. Now the average temp is at 200.  My radiator is in the front with an electric fan. Is there a solution???

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »
How about it, mhotmarkx1.  Where are your pics?  Found your cure yet?   
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 11:40:43 AM »
01, the capability of a water pump is determined by something called "Head". It can pump water a long ways and uphill a little bit or it can pump a little ways and uphill a lot more. In a typical system, water does not go very far and it goes uphill the height of the radiator. Looking at Jim's diagram, water must be pumped twice the height of the radiator and farther as well, doubling the head requirement. Having said that and knowing a little about GM mechanical pumps, increasing the head requirement from 2 to 4 when the rating is 12 doesn't make much difference. The thermostat will more determine the amount of water flowing. As I have said earlier, removing the thermostat lets water flow too fast for cooling. Also everyone pay close attention to what Jim is saying about the radiator caps. There are vented and non-vented and they look just alike but the correct one must be used. 

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 11:03:24 AM »
There is some talk about a 2nd inline water pump.  Isn't there a possibility of circulating the coolant too quickly through the radiators thus not cooling properly?  My thinking is that if the radiator(s) inlet is located close to the same level as the engine outlet, proper coolant circulation can be handled with the oem pump.  My $0.02

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 04:44:00 AM »
Here is how I make mine. It works.

Neils88

• Liked: 134
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »
There are pros and cons to both series and parallel systems.  Series systems tend to be much easier to set up, while parallel systems are generally more efficient.  Having said that...since most people end up with more radiator area than is necessary in a dual set up the slight improvement in efficiency of a parallel system would likely not be relevant...a series system is probably the best bet for most people since you are less likely to end up with problems.  If you are going for a high performance system properly designed by an expert (i.e. race car set up), then parallel would be the better choice.

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 10:02:08 PM »
I have never had problems with radiators connected in series. I have only had problems with overheating when they are connected in parallel.
I had to work on a roadster built by someone that knew only how to paint and it could only run for about 15 minutes until is spilled all coolant onto the ground.
By simply switching the hoses to series it would run longer but still overheat.  By adding in vent ports and a pressure tank it cured the overheating issues.
IMO if your cooling system works in parallel, great! If it does not, consider series to fix it.