Author Topic: A Challenge - Wanted - Someone with mad electronic skills!  (Read 3528 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: A Challenge - Wanted - Someone with mad electronic skills!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »
Chris, I have been fortunate to have my bat wings connected to the porsches oem spoiler. The bat wings don't bother me at speeds as far as sound goes.

Thanks, this is good information to have and I wondered how much noise they'd make at speed.

Chris

madmods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
Chris, I have been fortunate to have my bat wings connected to the porsches oem spoiler. The bat wings don't bother me at speeds as far as sound goes. One other function you might want to add is the the ability to lift them at the touch at the button. I love to flick mine up and down around crowds and drive throughs.
Keep dreaming-I'm sweating, glassing, welding and building every night!
Gagliardi Vendetta
Vetter Carrera Gt
Vetter Lp 640

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
I am going to attempt to work on this. Everything can be purchased for around $300 as mentioned. The only problem, my car will not have a active spoiler as of right now so I have no measurements of wing distance movement. If someone is willing to send me there Arduino, JRK 21v3, GPS shield and 2" or 4" actuator WITH feedback I would gladly wire it up and get the code written and post it up like on the Paddle shift diary. If not it will take me some time to get everything together.

You've got a deal.   ::thumbup

I'm picking up an OEM "muffler cover" (the panel that looks like a rear trunk lid on a Murci and holds the spoiler) this weekend and I have an OEM spoiler that I'll be using with this panel.  I have a 3" actuator already and I can order the rest of the parts.  I'll measure the throw of the actuator in the down, 1/4, 1/2 and full up positions and send you the electronics with measurements.

Thanks for accepting the challenge Dustin and I would also like to have the board control the bat wings on temperature but close them at speeds over 80 MPH.  I figure that at 80 MPH the wings are basically worthless because plenty of cool air is going is traveling down to the radiators.  At 80 MPH I'm more worried about the additional drag and decreased fuel economy but more importantly the noise they'll generate at that speed, which could get annoying on longer trips.  Before anyone asks (I know some of you will pick up on it) yes, I've been known to drive at 80 MPH for extended periods of time on the Highway.   ::toothy  Of course having a drivers switch to manually override the controller would be nice to have also and I know this is an option on the real car.

Yes the controller is a more expensive option but it does give you a reasonably priced programmable device to automatically control the batwings, spoiler and even things like the "drop down windows" when the doors are opened.  Personally I'm sold on it and I think it's a nice option out there for anyone who might want to reapply it in the future. 

Thanks for accepting the challenge and I'll be in contact once I get all the parts and measurements rounded up.  ::headbang

Chris

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »
I am going to attempt to work on this. Everything can be purchased for around $300 as mentioned. The only problem, my car will not have a active spoiler as of right now so I have no measurements of wing distance movement. If someone is willing to send me there Arduino, JRK 21v3, GPS shield and 2" or 4" actuator WITH feedback I would gladly wire it up and get the code written and post it up like on the Paddle shift diary. If not it will take me some time to get everything together.

You've got a deal.   ::thumbup

I'm picking up an OEM "muffler cover" (the panel that looks like a rear trunk lid on a Murci and holds the spoiler) this weekend and I have an OEM spoiler that I'll be using with this panel.  I have a 3" actuator already and I can order the rest of the parts.  I'll measure the throw of the actuator in the down, 1/4, 1/2 and full up positions and send you the electronics with measurements.

Thanks for accepting the challenge Dustin and I would also like to have the board control the bat wings on temperature but close them at speeds over 80 MPH.  I figure that at 80 MPH the wings are basically worthless because plenty of cool air is going is traveling down to the radiators.  At 80 MPH I'm more worried about the additional drag and decreased fuel economy but more importantly the noise they'll generate at that speed, which could get annoying on longer trips.  Before anyone asks (I know some of you will pick up on it) yes, I've been known to drive at 80 MPH for extended periods of time on the Highway.   ::toothy  Of course having a drivers switch to manually override the controller would be nice to have also and I know this is an option on the real car.

Yes the controller is a more expensive option but it does give you a reasonably priced programmable device to automatically control the batwings, spoiler and even things like the "drop down windows" when the doors are opened. 

Thanks for accepting the challenge and I'll be in contact once I get all the parts and measurements rounded up.  ::headbang

Chris 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:45:20 AM by No Bull »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »

Dustin

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
i would ask Riceburner ( RoB) but I think he's way to busy.

Tusabes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 05:52:30 AM »
Murci me built his actutator and controller for his transmission shifter paddles, he Is the one to ask

No Bull

• Administrator
A Challenge - Wanted - Someone with mad electronic skills!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »
I've posted a couple threads about wanting a 12vdc linear actuator controller for my real spoiler.  Just like the real car, I'd like something that lifts up and drops down the rear spoiler at various speeds.  I did some looking around today and I think I figured out all the parts to do this for around $300. 

Is anyone up to taking on the challenge of building one and figuring out the program to make it work?

Here is my idea:

Use a Arduino controller as the main board, a GPS module as an input for speed and a 12vdc relay as the output to a linear actuator. 

A program is wrote for the controller to do the following things:

1. 0 - 5mph @ 3 seconds = Home (down) position
2. 6 - 30mph = position 1 (1/4 way)
3. 31 - 60mph = position 2 (1/2 way)
4. 61 - 200mph = position full up (no 3/4 position because someone behind you wouldn't notice it)

The GPS module ( http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Tutorials/GPS ) is around $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-GPS-Shield-V1-0-GPS-Module-Breakout-Board-ge-/251158882937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7a3c6a79

The Arduino controller is around $70

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Arduino-Mega-ADK-R3-from-Italy-selling-by-official-distributor-/271058357621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1c564d75

The 12vdc relays would need to be evaluated (stepper or non-stepper to track the position of the actuator) - Estimate $30

The linear actuators are around $150 for a quality outdoor rated model.

Arduino & firgelli linear actuators

There is a cool graphical code assembly tool out there for free and I've found several forums where guys share code. 

http://blog.minibloq.org/

Who has better electronic skills than I do and is willing to build the first one?  ::toothy

Chris
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:25:18 AM by No Bull »