Author Topic: Help with OEM roof placement  (Read 7917 times)

minuteman3282

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: Help with OEM roof placement
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2016, 01:38:22 PM »
The thickness of the fiberglass is what I had thought of originally. Considering the thickness of the actual panel is much smaller than the two panels overlapping each other. I have the frame stretched to Cliffs specs that he gave me while he was making the body. The engine is installed and I have my ride height set by his specs. I was just hoping that by assembling the body as a whole would ease the mounting to the frame. I have tried setting the roof first on the frame and it just would not work out for me. So that's why I backed up and trying a different approach. I have messaged Cliff, which I know is in vein, to ask him but of course no response. If I had the opportunity, I would shove this whole thing right up his butt and deal with the lose of money.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 12:17:44 PM »
I was wondering if that was the case with my body. I wasn't sure or not.
Thanks, I will have to look into now. :notworthy

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »
The solution there is actually quite straightforward . The rear quarter panel is an extreme version being mated to a cliff/watson ( whoever ) B-post moulding , therefore the upper most half - where the door shut / side window profile is  , is the same part so what you are doing id overlapping the same part over the top of itself and moving the quarter panel forward at the top.
Placing a door skin in place may illustrate the problem by the door corner overlapping the quarter panel
 :)
Oooh , Red leather.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 10:28:48 AM »
Also it really helps to have the rear bumper and engine lid assembled with the quarters and the roof. The bumper and engine lid will establish your spacing and help set the angle of your quarter panels. This should get you close and then you can deal with warpage and things like that.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »
This is more or less what I am doing with my car. I have to look at my body again, but I believe my quarters have some miss alignment at the top as well. I don't know if that is due to the thickness of the fiberglass pushing the whole quarter forward at the flange or if it is supposed to be that way.  I have had to assemble and and re assemble my body on the chassis countless times in effort to get the body set and framing built. While there is no perfect way to do this, I believe the best approach is to have your frame stretched to the right wheelbase and have all suspension and drive train installed and adjusted then begin to assemble the complete body on top of the chassis with braces, clamps etc. Eventually you will figure out whats and what you need to do.

minuteman3282

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
OK! So I have took a step back and trying to approach it from a different angle. Instead of working with the roof first, I decided to just mock up the entire body and frame out for all the body parts and try to assemble it as a one piece body. Doing so I have found a few problems that are starting to show up. The roof panel and the rear quarter panel are not wanting to line up properly. I have included a few pics of what I'm having issues with. If anyone can hold my hand and help me understand what I am doing wrong or missing please do so. Thanks!

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 08:15:14 PM »
Thanks 76mx! I do remember talking to you over this, sorry I didn't put two and two together. BUT yeah just like you stated, everything went down like we had discussed previously. I know where my other parts went because I seen them for myself when I stopped into the mans shop and started talking to him about them. I asked where he got them and the answer was Cliff because he owed them to him and more panels were owed and never received buy him. So your saying he still has all the molds that he owes you for your work? If so I hate you got in the middle of all this and are left out in the cold with nothing to show for it. If I can help in some way let me know. I have no problem going and picking up your property for you if you wish. I do not mean any disrespect to you at all for any of this, it wasn't your battle or problem. That's why I did not put any name with my last post. Please don't think I'm putting any blame on you at all, I'm just stating the lies I was told. That is also why I reached out to you at the time to verify his statements about the merger.
No disrespect was ever perceived and I certainly do not put any blame whatsoever on any of you for me being the big looser. I returned to the fiberglass shop from Texas and they told me that Cliff had come last week to pick up all of his molds. I laughed and asked them what they said. Then they told me they said that they would help him load them. That was several years ago and my jaw is still on the floor. If someone has other questions about this whole episode I am glad to tell what I know, otherwise it was a long time ago and old news (even though my jaw is still on the floor). 

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 04:09:35 PM »
Check out Purples build he is doing a beautiful job building a murci with oem panels on a fiero. Maybe you can get some insight from his chassis.

http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=1667.360

minuteman3282

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 03:16:17 PM »
Ok to get back on track (but I do appreciate all the input and info).

I'm still having some issues getting things to line up. I removed the corners of the firewall and brought it forward to a straight up 90* position. The roof framing is not wanting to line up with my firewall with the fender in place as a reference.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:19:00 PM by minuteman3282 »

minuteman3282

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »
From my understanding John did receive his body because he or his son came with the local sheriff to pick it up the week before I made my visit.

minuteman3282

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 02:55:09 PM »
Thanks 76mx! I do remember talking to you over this, sorry I didn't put two and two together. BUT yeah just like you stated, everything went down like we had discussed previously. I know where my other parts went because I seen them for myself when I stopped into the mans shop and started talking to him about them. I asked where he got them and the answer was Cliff because he owed them to him and more panels were owed and never received buy him. So your saying he still has all the molds that he owes you for your work? If so I hate you got in the middle of all this and are left out in the cold with nothing to show for it. If I can help in some way let me know. I have no problem going and picking up your property for you if you wish. I do not mean any disrespect to you at all for any of this, it wasn't your battle or problem. That's why I did not put any name with my last post. Please don't think I'm putting any blame on you at all, I'm just stating the lies I was told. That is also why I reached out to you at the time to verify his statements about the merger.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 02:35:50 PM »

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 02:32:16 PM »
Are we sure that John never recieved a body? I recall both of them posting pictures of Johns car at one point which had a body on it?

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 02:17:18 PM »
The company that he was supposed to be "Merging" with was me, remember? He had written a letter in response to one of the lawsuits, which you provided me a copy of, that explained the merger. Like I said at the time, there was no "Merging" and that was all news to me. My deal with him was simple. I provided him with two Murcie bodies and other assorted Murcie parts to get him out of the two lawsuits with you and John. In exchange I got his Murcie molds, Countach interior molds, and other molds. No merger, a trade of pieces and parts, simple as that. I knew nothing about 640 or 670, I made parts from the molds provided. Once done and delivered to him, I had no control of where they went from there, and have no idea why you did not get all of your parts, especially since there were extras and all was delivered at the same time. I have just learned today that the second body went to 670Mike instead of the other man that had sued him. Why he still has all of the molds that I traded for is a whole other story. I do not know what he would blame me for, all I did was give him two Murcie bodies for free.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:27:11 PM by 76mx »

minuteman3282

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »
76mx----

I went to Cliffs' unannounced and picked up every panel I could get that day as well as my frame that he was suppose to be mounting the body to. I was able to get almost all of the panels except for the few that he had not made as of that time. A later conversation with Cliff ended with him telling me to go F*&K myself and I would not be getting the remaining panels from him. He stated he was out of the replica business and would not be making any more panels and had moved to SC for work. He put all the blame on another company he was "merging" with and left it at that. I talked to the company he was suppose to be "merging" with and they stated that was absolutely untrue.  Like I had mentioned before I had paid him in full for an LP670 OEM body, but only received an incomplete LP640 OEM body.

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone, it's much appreciated.