Author Topic: Carbon fiber chassis  (Read 1698 times)

apsara

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Liked: 32
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-1
Re: Carbon fiber chassis
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »
I haven't started on it, couldn't find enough information.  I've already contracted an autoclave to do the post curing at a local air plane manufacture.  The 60 layers is for the rear firewall and the front supports where the most stress happens.  I already have an engineer working on the chassis, won't be for a few months till the cad files are ready for machining.  I hope to get it done this year and get it ready for the big boys toy show for next year

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
Re: Carbon fiber chassis
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:31:25 AM »
How's the chassis coming along?
60 layers? We don't use that many layers in single F-22 part, or any aircraft for that matter. You need honeycomb core between layers and ribs on the exterior of the surfaces. I'd suggest having an engineer draw it up and then run the design through a stress check. It's a bit more complicated than saying "that looks good enough". You may search through GT40 forums because some people have attempted the carbon chassis, though I'm not sure if any succeeded.

apsara

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Liked: 32
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-1
Carbon fiber chassis
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »
Just wondering, does anyone out there work in F1? I'm trying to build a carbon chassis and want to know which type of carbon fiber material is used.  I know 2k twill is a no no, cause it is just made for cosmetic and not so much for strength.  And how thick to build it up? I know that certain spots require at least 60 layers and some 25-30 layers of carbon.