Author Topic: Aftermarket source for oem size window glass  (Read 8170 times)

88.5countach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 56
  • Member Rating Points: +11/-0
    • 88.5 Countach's Website (Lamborghini Countach Replica)
Re: Aftermarket source for oem size window glass
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »
Wow that is some build, will certainly be watching.

Simple Man

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 08:57:39 AM »
Just received an email and the glass is tempered.

Simple Man

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 07:56:16 AM »
Probably laminated glass, not tempered.

Good question! PP invoice hasn't been paid yet, and I would want tempered.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 10:56:38 PM »
Probably laminated glass, not tempered.

Simple Man

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 02:09:09 PM »
FGP has an aftermarket glass.

I let you all know how this transaction goes when I get the windows.

Thanks to all who commented, much appreciated!!

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 10:48:13 AM »
Mike
This is EXACTLY why yours and voices like yours are needed to correct the bad info

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 09:55:49 PM »
I originally offered custom tempered glass for the G28 door windows. I had it made by a place in Ohio that was willing to sell me small quantities after the $1500 setup charge for the forms. I originally ordered 10 sets and sold them off quickly (back when everybody was building G28's). The place notified me a few years back that they would no longer be able to supply me with small orders (under 500 pieces), so if I needed more I had to order right away before the deadline. I offered to do a group buy to cut the cost down but hardly anybody wanted them (1 person). So now, they will no longer make the glass for me unless I order 500 pieces.
There is no way OEM Murcielago glass will fit a G28 door without modifications. OEM glass is almost 2" shorter in length than the G28 window opening, and about 1-1/2" taller. The problem lies with the mirror mount area on the G28 door. Its about 2" smaller than the OEM mirror mount area, which is why OEM mirrors don't fit the G28 door unless they too are modified to accept it.
Yes, you can put OEM glass in a G28 door but you have to modify the door by lengthening the mirror mount area (then use either OEM mirrors or modified G28 mirrors). Since OEM glass is taller than the window opening on a G28, it wont retract all the way down into the door. I have G28 glass in my door and when the window is down as far as it will go, it sticks up about 2" above the window sill. If you use OEM glass which is 2" taller than G28 glass, it will sit up about 4" above the sill when fully retracted into the door as far as it will go down.
And BTW, whoever is saying that Saturn door glass will fit the G28 is dead WRONG. The geometry of the Saturn glass has a forward raked front and rear edge going from the top to the bottom. The Murcielago (OEM or G28) has a near 90 degrees vertical front and rear edge. Unless you want to change the shape of your window opening to have a slanted front and rear edge there is no way to make it work.
Part of the reason I seldom come on these forums anymore is because of all the misinformation and bad advice I see being given to builders by people who have no clue what the facts are or have any experience in the area they are speaking about.

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »
I can do $1,800 for a pair of OEM windows, but without knowing their price, it still looks to me like the FGP windows would be the better deal (even with shipping), and they fit the G28. What is the minimum FGP production run and how much are they? Anyone? For me to have my windshield source make them, there is a minimum production of 10 pairs but the cost would go way way down. I have no desire to sit on 9 pairs, but on the other hand, I am willing to sell one set of them at $1,800 and pocket the other nine pairs.

Simple Man

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »
Let me try to understand all of this. G28 glass is different from Murcie glass? OEM seemed to fit in my G28 but this discussion as well as an email from SM seems to say differently. The group buy was for the different G28 glass? Not that it matters since it is all spoken for but I am still curious. Any glass that I can access would be OEM shape rather than G28, is this acceptable? I have looked at receipts, they are several years old, but apparently my Lambo dealer treats me better than CCIE's dealer. If I can get OEM glass at my target $900, is this acceptable? And if you do not mind my asking, what was the price of the FGP glass?

Yes if you have a source for OEM side glass that would be great!!  How far down will an OEM window roll down into a G28 door?

This is my understanding in talking to MM over the last few months.

OEM glass is about 1-1/2" narrower.  The G28 door (glass opening) can be modified to be smaller/ narrower by increasing the side mirror mounting point to OEM size mounting points.

The group buy was for G28 glass not OEM that fell through, and G28 at this time is not a viable option. this is from the seller of the car and he was refunded his $'s

The car that I have has working saturn windows but it is kinda funky with the angle being off and no window channel. (see attached picture)

That is what my understanding is,

Thanks!!

76mx

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »
Let me try to understand all of this. G28 glass is different from Murcie glass? OEM seemed to fit in my G28 but this discussion as well as an email from SM seems to say differently. The group buy was for the different G28 glass? Not that it matters since it is all spoken for but I am still curious. Any glass that I can access would be OEM shape rather than G28, is this acceptable? I have looked at receipts, they are several years old, but apparently my Lambo dealer treats me better than CCIE's dealer. If I can get OEM glass at my target $900, is this acceptable? And if you do not mind my asking, what was the price of the FGP glass?

Simple Man

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 06:22:03 PM »
Are you referring to the group buy I had awhile back? It did happen but all that was ordered was enough to fulfill those interested at that time. I think 6 sets were ordered total and if I had ordered any more it would have been an added shipping cost similar to what you would get if you contacted them individually. Not sure that helps.

No this group buy was for G28 side glass not OEM sized glass.

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »
Are you referring to the group buy I had awhile back? It did happen but all that was ordered was enough to fulfill those interested at that time. I think 6 sets were ordered total and if I had ordered any more it would have been an added shipping cost similar to what you would get if you contacted them individually. Not sure that helps.
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

Simple Man

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »

[/quote]

So didn't the group buy happen? Isn't there side glass available from it instead of me?
[/quote]

My understanding, from a person who wanted a set,  is that it didnt happen and he was refunded his $'s.

76mx

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »
I can produce side glass and the prices will be in line with my $900 windshields. If you wanted actual OE glass, I sold a complete set a few months ago, still in the Lambo packing, for the price of an OE windshield. I threw in a Triangle G body and a complete NAERC frame along with it.

I could use the passenger and driver side door  glass for a murcielago.

That would be great!

So didn't the group buy happen? Isn't there side glass available from it instead of me?

Simple Man

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 10:18:22 AM »
I can produce side glass and the prices will be in line with my $900 windshields. If you wanted actual OE glass, I sold a complete set a few months ago, still in the Lambo packing, for the price of an OE windshield. I threw in a Triangle G body and a complete NAERC frame along with it.

I could use the passenger and driver side door  glass for a murcielago.

That would be great!