Author Topic: Should I start this build?  (Read 6166 times)

Theoneabove

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 7
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Should I start this build?
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 01:25:36 AM »
You might want to start here. http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=2685.0
Great read! thanks for the info. I appreciate the help.

Neils88

• Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »
thank you for the input I trust your judgment you do excellent work! I think I will take everyone’s advice and plan on a different approach. I plan on watching, asking, and learning as much as I can from you guys so that when it’s time I can have something worth appreciating.

Great decision! (... and thank you for the kind comment) I think in the long run this will save you from a multitude of serious issues. These builds are a marathon not a sprint. Research and planning is essential... take your time with it and learn everything you can first about building methodologies and strategies.

Theoneabove

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
$5k is too much. IMHO.
that’s what I’m here for! What do you think the price for something like this should be? I’m new to this so I need a little guidance from some veterans, because I really do not know what to look for that may make this a deal breaker.

Thanks

I think the other comments outline my concerns nicely.  My big problem is, and this is my own personal hangup, is that it will always look odd.  I like putting on personal touches, and adding what I think is cool, but the proportions for these super/hyper cars is what makes them badass.  Again, it is what your personal taste is.  If I was inclined, maybe a couple hundred max.

Judging by the extremely dubious engineering shown in the pics, I would be skeptical of the condition of anything in that build (... and I apologize for being negative about anyone else's build...). I wouldn't trust that you could pull anything of value out of it to justify spending any time or money on it.
thank you for the input I trust your judgment you do excellent work! I think I will take everyone’s advice and plan on a different approach. I plan on watching, asking, and learning as much as I can from you guys so that when it’s time I can have something worth appreciating.

Neils88

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »
$5k is too much. IMHO.
that’s what I’m here for! What do you think the price for something like this should be? I’m new to this so I need a little guidance from some veterans, because I really do not know what to look for that may make this a deal breaker.

Thanks

I think the other comments outline my concerns nicely.  My big problem is, and this is my own personal hangup, is that it will always look odd.  I like putting on personal touches, and adding what I think is cool, but the proportions for these super/hyper cars is what makes them badass.  Again, it is what your personal taste is.  If I was inclined, maybe a couple hundred max.

Judging by the extremely dubious engineering shown in the pics, I would be skeptical of the condition of anything in that build (... and I apologize for being negative about anyone else's build...). I wouldn't trust that you could pull anything of value out of it to justify spending any time or money on it.

Footcutter

• Liked: 142
  • Member Rating Points: +11/-0
    • 3D car printing
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 10:32:15 AM »
$5k is too much. IMHO.

Thanks

Theoneabove

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »
Let me chime in.  With a job, 2 kids and little patience"
my patience level is pretty high.. has to be when you are the middleman in million dollar real estate transactions.. sheesh one bedroom condos are selling for half a million, and especially with 2 kids ages 3 and 6. Im like a monk over here

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 08:41:07 AM »
You might want to start here. http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=2685.0

diablodoc

• Liked: 28
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
Let me chime in.  With a job, 2 kids and little patience this is not something you want to tackle.  I have been working on my Diablo replica for 8 years now.  The first five I was working, the last three (after retirement) I've worked on it almost every day and I probably have another 4-5 years to go.  I've rebuilt/modified cars as a hobby since I was old enough to drive but this is the first car I've built from scratch.  It is difficult to convey to someone just how much work is involved in one of these projects and how much of a money-pit they are.  I have close to $40k invested in my car so far (parts only, no labor included) and that doesn't include paint nor interior upholstery which are expensive items.  My advice to you would be to find something that is 3/4 done and done well (hard to find) and finish it out.  Or, if you insist on doing a complete build, look into Factory Five.  They have complete kits and are much easier to build.  As one of the forum members says in his tag line "It's not enough want to own a car, you have to want to build a car."

Theoneabove

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »
Been in your shoes (as we all have)  And my first buy (7k) didn’t work out well for me at all!I had no idea what to look for, I didn’t know what questions to ask!  Do urself a favor, save an additional 5k-10k and buy an incomplete build in better condition with a better start of craftmenship and attention to detail.. #Thatisall #Goodluck ::headbang
I have another option in mind. really just wanted to see what everyones thoughts were on this one before I go the other route. I've learned to always do you due diligence on something that you want to buy, which is why I asked all of you. I really appreciate the input!

minihawn

• Liked: 84
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »
Been in your shoes (as we all have)  And my first buy (7k) didn’t work out well for me at all!I had no idea what to look for, I didn’t know what questions to ask!  Do urself a favor, save an additional 5k-10k and buy an incomplete build in better condition with a better start of craftmenship and attention to detail.. #Thatisall #Goodluck ::headbang
Fate has no choice

Theoneabove

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 07:21:31 PM »
TheOne, in the title of this thread you ask us if you should start this build. Ordinarily, I would say that since you have not told us anything about your builder skills, experience, assets, patience, and budget, it would be impossible to answer that question. However, I think I can answer NO with absolute certainty. Why? Because anyone that had all of those required skills would see this for the "Cobbled up piece of crap that will never be a car no matter how much time and money gets thrown at it" that it is and would have never given it a second look, or need to ask advice, no matter what the asking price is.
My builder skills generallly are in the home building department, but I figure if I can build a house why not try this? While working in the construction industry I also hold my Real estate Brokers license here in California. Assets aren’t really an issue but my patience is what’s the problem, because one I have 2 kids and on top of that, I sometimes seem to see value in things others may not, which I guess for this hobby is something that you should run from. You are absolutely correct that I don’t know what to look for, which is why I asked the question. I apologize if this seemed like a stupid question, but this forum piqued my interest so I started searching and found the car and figured I’d run it by the professionals and get their input before I pulled the trigger. I figured I’d get some good responses that would help make my decision because a lot of the people here seem to know what they are talking about. If I didn’t ask here it would be like me advising someone to sell their home without a Realtor.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »
TheOne, in the title of this thread you ask us if you should start this build. Ordinarily, I would say that since you have not told us anything about your builder skills, experience, assets, patience, and budget, it would be impossible to answer that question. However, I think I can answer NO with absolute certainty. Why? Because anyone that had all of those required skills would see this for the "Cobbled up piece of crap that will never be a car no matter how much time and money gets thrown at it" that it is and would have never given it a second look, or need to ask advice, no matter what the asking price is. 

Neils88

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 12:13:45 PM »
...but doesn't every build need MORE MONEY?  How deep are your pockets? ...

Yup...I haven't touched my build in 3 months yet still managed to spend another $1000 on it last week...  :'(

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »
I thought that the body looked like a KitcarInc designed for a Camaro/Firebird chassis.  If the wheelbase is shorter than the required 106.3" and you want it to look reasonably close to a replica, you will need to lengthen the chassis.  Be sure that the wheelbase matches the quality body kit that you purchase.  Forget about that old body.  I'm seeing a custom chassis in your posted pics with corvette suspension.  Have it inspected by a certified welder prior to purchase and get his thoughts on the quality of the welds and if needed the lengthening of the chassis.  Some of the A-frame mounts look weak.  Engine and transmission condition may mean more money but doesn't every build need MORE MONEY?  How deep are your pockets?  Only 3% ever finish a replica.  Are you married?  Kids?  Got a mortgage?  How old are you?  Buy Excedrin stock.

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Neils88

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 11:57:46 AM »
IMHO this $5K purchase might set you on a path that you can't recover from.  You could sink a lot of money into it trying to correct the issues and bring it up to a standard that you are happy with.  I'd spend the $5K on a good condition Fiero that is up and running with a 3800sc, a 4.9 or some other swap that you are happy with.  Use that as your starting point.  Or better yet, buying a good condition running Fiero and do the engine swap yourself so that you learn everything mechanical/electrical about the car first.  You won't sink a lot of money into it, and at the end you have an asset that you could still enjoy if you suddenly decide you can't commit the time and effort that you originally thought you could.  If at that point, you are ready for the full project then that would be the point where you could source a lambo body.  Aim for something that has been closely matched to oem spec...you can then purchase oem parts such as trim, glass, lights, etc rather than trying to duplicate everything.  Many of the oem trim parts are actually very cheap from places like Eurospares.  But that won't help you if they don't have a hope of fitting.  The biggest part of this project is learning to be smart...not speedy.   ::thumbup