Author Topic: Aventador cross sections  (Read 4605 times)

wayne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Aventador cross sections
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 08:49:27 AM »
Hey everyone its been a while from my last post but i have a set of brand new original door windows that i picked up for my future build and an OE front bumper with more parts to come soon. I will possibly be splashing some parts in the future if anyone is interested.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
Or you could just buy this chassis, $8,000.

wayne

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 04:07:59 PM »
Neil thanks for the info about the frames and monocoque. I am glad to get another option on what I am thinking about trying to achieve and that I'm not just crazy for wanting to try something a little different. Really I guess time will tell once I get into my project to see if there is a way to do what I would like to do. This is another reason in my earlier post about removing the firewall because I am not sure if I will be able to graft on the real front frame from a real Aventador.  The engine I am thinking about is a 5.3 from a Grand Prix GXP so I would probably use a lot of the wiring and options that the GP was born with.

Neils88

• Liked: 134
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »
A number of people have removed the rear framing of the Fiero spaceframe and rebuilt a tubeframe support for the rear suspension, so it is definitely doable.  The front ends up getting largely removed to fit the panels, though what is left over should support the Lambo suspension style pretty easily.  Personally, I think the cabin framing should be constructed using metal (think roll bar support) with the panels applied overtop.  The monocoque would really need to be engineered by...well...an engineer... and then integrating it with a Fiero spaceframe would really defeat the purpose.  Again...I'd need to see pics of the product to truly assess it.

One thing to consider with respect to the rear suspension...  If you are basing this on a Fiero, you will likely have to move the engine forward slightly from stock location (you have lots of room since it's about 12" longer after creating new rear framing or stretching the existing framing).  This isn't a concern with a longitudinal engine/transaxle configuration, but could be a problem if you are using a transverse setup.  It's tougher to move the transverse setup forward and it would likely end up in the way of your suspension design.

wayne

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
76MX I checked out Duraflex racing and I also have sent them an email to see if they are making the Aventador. I have some options as for what I am trying to do. I don't mind making a buck to build my replica but the only thing is that it will not be very accurate. The next thing was to have a buck made from foam so i can pull some parts off of that. I would really like to build a suspension front and rear like the real Aventador but I don't wanna put the the cart before the horse, just telling you what I am thinking about for the future. The fact that I would like a suspension like the real Aventador is why I was thinking of trying to build a monocoque for the front and rear suspension to mount to which means a lot of metal and bracing and time and money to try to pull this off. See I know your thinking this guy has no idea what he's talking about but I have an idea in my head and I'm pretty hard headed and when I set my mind to something it doesn't matter if it takes me a week or 5 years. This is something that I am going to do but I just wanted to bounce this off of the members here that have already built or are building a replica because the more I can talk about it with different people then I feel like I can make better decisions on my build. I just started to buy parts so I am going to build a car. Thanks again for your help and keep it coming.

76mx

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »
Wayne, what is it exactly that you are trying to do? If it is to build a buck, you can spend a great deal of time and money and trial and error to do that, then spend a great deal of time and money and trial and error to build the molds, then spend a great deal of time and money and trial and error to build a body, and you can reinvent the wheel that way. If it is to have molds like you say in #8, if I understand correctly Inspire has sold his molds but he had to have had a buck to build them in the first place which he may still have. If so, he could make another mold then you could make your body. I do not know how many cars you intend to build, but amortizing the cost of that mold for only one body makes this route cost at least twice as much as it should. If it is your intention to have a Aventador body, cut out all of the other steps and duplicated expenses and just go get one from duraflex-racing.com. The fringe benefit of this way, and this is another huge cost consideration, is that unlike all of the other options a readily available $200 windshield works with it. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:46:59 PM by 76mx »

wayne

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 12:18:17 PM »
I agree 100% on the safety of the car, it was just a thought about the firewall as I thought it would be in the wrong location. I am a newbie here and wanted to know thoughts and comments so keep the comments coming. I will definitely take what you said into consideration on the firewall though. Thank you. Can someone tell me how to past pictures here?

Neils88

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 12:10:22 PM »
The firewall for the Fiero is almost exactly where you want it for the Aventador.  You'll find that you end up doing major surgery on the Fiero spaceframe one way or another...I think I only have about half of the original structure left now.  I'd have to see pics of the part he's suggesting to have any real opinion on it.  Whatever way you go, you need to assess the safety of the structure and be prepared to engineer accordingly.

wayne

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »
Hey I have actually talked to Nate at Inspire Composites and got some quotes from him and I may wind up getting some molds from him. Here's another question for you guys. Nate @ Inspire quoted me a very good price for a monocoque that I am really thinking about buying and I wanted to ask you guys your thoughts of building a complete monocoque out of fiberglass and using a Fiero basically for just the floor pan and the Vin number for titling purposes. I know that the firewall will need some major mods so my thought was to not even use the firewall as I don't think it will be in the right place anyway. Any thoughts on this guys? Thanks

Neils88

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 11:46:45 AM »
If you are still set on this (hey...it's your money  ::toothy) look up Inspire Composites online.  (He's on many of the boards as well...where he hasn't been banned).  Nate can produce bucks, molds, etc...and should be able to get you the files you want (likely at a price).  I got my Aventador panels from him a few years ago.

76mx

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »
I will slice it every two inches and send you the files for $1,000. Not even a drop in the bucket compared to what you are about to spend.

Neils88

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
Those few that are successful are usually fanatics of the build process.  The end result (i.e. a finished car) can't be the focus.  If you are just eager to get it together and driving, then walk away now and find a realistic project.  Copious amounts of skill and money are critical as well....

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:37:59 AM »
Hello, Wayne

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/member.php?u=49545. (Danaumer) has cross section prints for sale.

Do you plan on building the complete Aventador replica yourself?  If you already had a complete body, you are looking at a 97% failure rate of completion.  If you are going to make your own body, you are probably looking at a failure rate of 99.5% est.  These are hard facts.  Realistically, if you are 20-30 years old, you will be years ahead if you saved up and purchased a body as they are out there to purchase right now.  I don't see any advantage to making your own buck, making molds, producing your own body.  Still, your budget will be $35K-$60K depending on your expertise in fabrication, electrical, mechanical, welding, and a whole semi load of engineering knowledge, housing mortgaging, and marriage counseling.  It's a rough road.

What ever you decide, I wish you the best with your endeavor. 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:40:32 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

wayne

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 07:20:46 AM »
Thanks. I have actually looked on GrabCAD but I do not know hot to get the slices from GrabCAD. I have been trying to familiarize myself with Tinkervad to get the slices but have been unsuccessful so far.

76mx

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
Grabcad.com

There are over 100 to choose from.