The Forum > New Member Introductions & Bio's

Long time researcher

<< < (5/6) > >>

76mx:
Vanorin,
   You may not have all of your research done, but you are already approaching this more level headed than most. Because of that, I am interested, but be aware that I am already pretty buried in Chupacabra business. All of my builds are done the way you requested, I will only write a build order when face to face and at the end of that conference, you will have a document that lists everything, down to what gearshift knob. I am curious where you are located, but like 01 said, I would charge extra for you to come and watch. Final thing, if you want an Aventador, it would be very helpful to know by the end of next week, I am going to Mexico and bringing a load of them back.

Charley Strickland 

Vanorin287:
lambobuilder --

Great read. I've read through it a few times before also, and because of that I am trying to stay level headed going into a project like this.

My goal is not to build some crazy 600 AWD HP beast that smokes people, looks 100% accurate and also has the newest self-driving Tesla technology....

To narrow it down, what's important for me personally is:
1. Appearance -- being an attention to detail person, which kit / builds have been done enough times that now it's quite close in terms of aesthetics to the real thing.

2. Maintainability -- after it's built, how easy is it to maintain? Not just talking oil changes, but sensors, scheduled maintenance, etc... That's also the reason why I want to shy away from using advertised "twin-turbo" setups, and often OLD muscle car engines/trannies. It's getting harder to find a lot of those replacement parts, if something DOES break, and I know for sure things will break.

It's been my dream to drive a Lamborghini since I was 10. Sure, maybe if I saved for 30 years I could afford the real thing, but I am willing to put in work now (before family, kids, etc...).

01Lambiero --

Yup, you are right. What would you think would be the best steps before going into the replica world? Would it make sense to go visit people who have builds to see what they are like, and how they drive? Are they even willing to have a stranger over?  ::salute ::salute

Not married, no kids, I just work and have no life. This is something that I can truly devote some time to, even 40+ hours a week if needed. A personality fault really, I tend to either do things 100% and the right way, or not do it at all.

In terms of parts, we are talking about the internals right? There doesn't seem to be a reason for having OEM internal parts, unless they are really needed. Due to my ignorance, not even sure what comes with the body/interior kits. All I see are these cool builds on youtube or forum posts.

Thanks for putting it into perspective, really appreciate it. From reading the forums, it makes sense to a) find a finished or semi finished build or b) find a reputable builder who's willing to sit down and discuss some details, explain the process.

It seems like any builder found through Google or youtube are full of it, or they are just really busy and don't want to take on new projects.

Thanks for the honest response.

lambobuilder:
Check out the "Advice to Newbies" section. You will also find links to my three part series "So you want to build a kit car?"
http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=2685.0

01Lambiero:
I think all of your questions have already been answered on this forum.  If you find a reliable builder, he won't let you come to his shop and help him.  His shop will not be located in your locale.  Your body can be built in Mexico.  No two chassis' are the same.  Have you ever seen a Toyota powered replica?  What area of expertise do you feel you are qualified in?  Welding, fabrication, mechanical, electrical, paint, body work, etc?  How big is your mortgage payment?   Are you married?  How many kids do you have?  Do you feel that you need OEM parts or can you make your own parts?  Do you own a mig or tig welder, drill press, lathe, or end mill?  These are all part or will be part of your replica build.  There is an unseen cost in every build diary that each of us don't talk about and it's "sacrifice".  The price is costly.

Vanorin287:
Neils88 --

I don't mind putting in 20+ hrs a week on a project like this. After going through various build dairies and just following what people have done, building one from zero to finish takes a lot of work. $50,000+ seems reasonable, for a Lamborghini...

How much do parts usually run? If I had to create a budget of $X what would be a good ballpark for the kit, engine, trans, suspension, and pretty much the mechanical portion of it all?

diablodoc --

Which parts are hard to come by?

Your advice seems reasonable; only downside is finding someone who's reliable. Did some research on a few builders -- robslp640, kitcarinc, superreplicas, etc.. they all seem like bad scams.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version