The Forum > New Member Introductions & Bio's

Long time researcher

<< < (6/6)

diablodoc:
There are many roads to success when building a Lambo replica, but none of them are quick and easy.  Most require an adequate work space (for the next 10 years), good basic skills, a LOT of time and a minimum of $40k (that may be optimistic as parts are getting very hard to come by).  If you don't have all of these things, save yourself a lot of time and heartache and just buy a completed replica from someone who has done a good job but just wants to move on to the next project.

Neils88:
Welcome to the forum!

You are correct that there are many kit car scams out there, so you definitely want to tread carefully whichever route you take.  The first step is lots of research on this and other similar forums.  Get to know the people...you'll learn quickly who the best contacts are.

Next be clear on the time, skill, effort and cost should you decide to jump down this rabbit hole.  I always tell people that those who are successful in their builds almost always have done so since they are passionate about the build process, not the end goal.  You will be committing 3000+ hours...most people don't grasp what this level of effort involves.  If the thought of putting 20+ hours a week into a single project for the next 6 or 7 years scares you, then consider investing in a project that is already complete or nearing completion.  If you think $50K+ on a car is too much...then you definitely need to reconsider...   ::toothy  People who tell you that you can do it for less are probably trying to sell you something.

I also recommend keeping a build thread on one of the forums.  I've found that documenting everything is great for future reference and helps keep me on track.

Best of luck!

Vanorin287:
Ever since I was in high school I've been lurking the forums, reading build diaries, and just seeing what the art of the possible was. It's come a long way in the last 6-7 years!

Becoming a big boy now, and saving some money to build the dream car. Tried to keep up with known builders or websites, but they all seem to come and go or are complete scams (according to some people?). Not sure if it's competition that's trying to hurt their business or people are actually getting away with stealing $20,000 - $80,000!!!

Trying to save enough money to buy the required parts for a solid kit. Although, I may not have space to start a build at home, I'd be willing to pay someone or even take off work to help build one.

Seems like now tubular chassis are popular instead of the Fiero stretched frames. Here's what I was thinking would be a modest build:

* Tubular chassis (whichever has the best/correct dimensions)

* Accurate body kit + interior -- I am not set on any particular model, just one that would be the most accurate, easy parts to get

* A Toyota V6 or possibly an older Merc. V12 -- the Toyota's seem straight forward, while the Merc. V12's may have some ECU/electrical issues?
The primary goal is to get something that looks proportional with reliable internals, somewhat easy to replace parts & maintain the car.

My background is in engineering, and I've had access to some great tools at school. Being an alum I could probably still use the mechanical engineering department's tools.

Looking forward to hopefully starting a build and meeting new people!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version