Author Topic: 3800 SC engine over heating  (Read 6746 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: 3800 SC engine over heating
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 10:57:30 AM »
At what temps in your cooling system are you calling "overheating"? and what are your accurate temps in your engine bay?

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

CCIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 96
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 09:25:53 AM »
to my opinion ,you can have 6 core rad  but its the air flow that is important . even some diablo kits with two rear rads over heat , you are using Fiero or G6 transmission or LP ?

Eddy!!!..... Yep you are absolutely correct my friend. Airflow not only for the radiators but also in the engine bay. There is hardly any air flow in the engine bay. I am getting fans installed to suck air in as well as to suck it out of the engine bay, hopefully the fans will keep the air moving ....
I have a SBC 350 with a 600 CFM carb hence I have the typical vapor lock issue.

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 05:04:47 AM »
to my opinion ,you can have 6 core rad  but its the air flow that is important . even some diablo kits with two rear rads over heat , you are using Fiero or G6 transmission or LP ?

CCIE

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »
On my IFG 60 replica with a v8 I have a 4 core large radiator upfront with a spal fan and its not enough.......

Jimbo

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
Yes I kept the one up front and so far no issues with cooling but like I said a 3 core aluminum rad with a high flow fan.

eddie

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 07:08:00 PM »
only one??

Jimbo

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 06:26:59 PM »
Ok thanks for the update. Since mine is registered as special construction I don't need to install any cats. I do have a new radiator 3 core with an electric fan that is supposed to have a higher CFM. Hoping that is enough.

CCIE

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
Still working through the issues. Cats was one of the issue. Rads and fan is another. More to follow since this is a back-burner project.

eddie

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 06:47:24 AM »
here is the ecm and headers

eddie

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 06:29:48 AM »
I used the Mustang 3.8 v6 headers with small mod on middle flange. need enlarged bolt on hole mounting , and used Mustang header gaskets. they are pointing down so the heat is lower. I have no issues car runing inside the garage and 90F heat. btw get Spal fans 12" 1630 cfm . the one that comes with Delsol rads are half of cfm. my engine is stock only smaller pulley and flashed chipped ecm. engine is 99 GTP but ecm is 97 or 98 due to you can opeb a little cover and replace chip. and for last I have all wiring notes witch wire is for what , ( two plugs did my own harness)

Jimbo

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 07:50:07 PM »
It's been a long time since the last post. Just wondering if you figured out the issue?  I'm finally working on my 3800 to get it ready to do an engine swap and wanted to know what you found so I don't have the same issues. I am replacing sensors as I go along cleaning it up painting and replacing common things that fail and gaskets that may leak. Ill attach a pic but it is still in pieces. I plan to put some headers on it any one have recommendations? I'm leaning towards ones like this. https://www.protuninglab.com/hds-gp97.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140848870378&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8pnu0u2j4gIV1UsNCh1aUA0ZEAQYASABEgLTKvD_BwE

nickmkk

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • Cloquet, MN
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 07:33:31 AM »
Is the engine a stock build or has it been modified and re-tuned?  If it's a timing or fuel issue then id assume it's either going to be a bad tune, bad ecu, or bad cam position sensor. Im assuming its a timing issue. If the ecu tells the plugs to fire too late when the exhaust valve is already open then the explosion is going to blow out into the exhaust.

Im not an expert though so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.  Also, I'd ceramic coat your headers once you figure it out.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:46:44 AM by nickmkk »

Jesse102

• Liked: 8
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
i would try taking out the cats might be the cuase

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 04:05:30 PM »
Murci-Me: Wouldn't the manifolds show excessive heat if the cat conv/exhaust  had a restriction?

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

CCIE

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »
My head is still spinning from "how did the water get into your fuel tank" but here goes.  What are you doing to get the manifolds/headers to glow?  What temps is your gauge showing on your dash?  Does the engine perform ok on the road?  Using an infrared gun ($10 on Ebay may not be exact but can be used for comparison), what are the temps at the exhaust ports, at the collectors, at the cat convertor, etc.  Check cooling hoses, radiators, etc. with gun also.  We NEED more data.  Pics would be helpful.

Jim.... Last year we had torrential rain and flash flooding in my area. My NAERC was parked in my driveway though it was fully covered I was worried. Unfortunately I have had many many issues with this car and slowly I have been trying to remedy them. I am a computer person, though I have knowledge of cars and learned a lot through the years, i am by no means a professional mechanic when it comes to cars, specially as complex these home built replicas are. I also lack patience and time to do deep mechanical work, its easier to get someone who is professional mechanic to take care of things that would take me a many hours, there are lots of professional mechanic out there but it seems there are lots of professional "Scam artist" in my area, anyway I had a mechanic look over the "not starting" issue and he told me that there is water in the gas tank and the tank needs to be dropped, cleaned, ect ect scam scam ripoff ripoff blaaa blaaa ect. he saw Lamborghini and many $$$$$$... I bought into it because of the torrential rain and the location of the gas fuel door facing up in the car as well as for its cheap quality. In the end from what I recall, it wasn't the "water in the tank" it was the fuel pressure regulator that was bad.

To ans your questions:
   What are you doing to get the manifolds/headers to glow? 
      It will glow just by idling. It will be red hot after driving even short distances
   What temps is your gauge showing on your dash?
      I dont trust the dash gauges yet but the temp shows under 200 (more to follow)
   Does the engine perform ok on the road? 
      Seems to be running fine but I have many other issues to deal with on this car
   Using an infrared gun ($10 on Ebay may not be exact but can be used for comparison), what are the temps at the exhaust ports, at the collectors, at the cat convertor, etc.  Check cooling hoses, radiators, etc. with gun also. 
      I will collect the data later this week once I have a bit of time and post

Jim thank you again for all the ideas and your vast knowledge in assisting me. I am looking forward to seeing your build again soon

CCIE
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:31:47 PM by CCIE »