Author Topic: Aventador monocoque  (Read 9576 times)

ardillo lambo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 9
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Aventador monocoque
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »
Wayne you said it incorrectly...you are not  "Hard Headed" you cross that line already. You remain me flat earthers.
You know how much expertise and wisdom this guys have?  you are ignoring there advice. That chupacabra chassis is light, strong and affordable. If the chupacabra chassis were available when I started mine, for sure I'll ordered one from 76
Why insisting on doing a replica with a monocoque out of fiberglass that is not safe. Do you have an idea how much completing a replica will cost....I guess you don't.
My friend if you have $30k to spend on a damage monocoque and you are willing to pay big bucks to repair and do molds and all that sort of things....why you don't buy a used Avantador.

Did you check the grab cab file?, how you now  is incorrect, if is incorrect, did you know can be scale it to be accurate.

...And remember at the end of the day the monocoque won't be seen by anybody.

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
I know that structural composite layup is a very exacting science, and the skill required to do it correctly is a rarity and therefore EXPENSIVE.  I do understand the thought process though.  But the high cost of the autoclave access.... it is painfully expensive.  Either way, keep us posted.  I would like to point you in the direction of 76mx, he has worked out a phenomenal chassis that has a TON of flexibility built into it that will allow you to get a million miles down the road and save a TON of budget

wayne

• Liked: 28
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 07:08:35 AM »
Minihawn I did reply to Adrian in the same post just farther down on the post.

minihawn

• Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 06:55:03 AM »
I offer no expertise here at all, but allow me to chime in just for a moment. AB, it doesn’t seem that he answered your question. Or am I mistaken?
Fate has no choice

wayne

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »
76mx thanks for trying to help me find a solution but I’m already a step ahead of you. I have offered cash to hire someone to take a 3d scan of it and they would not allow me to. I even asked if I could take a walk around video of it and they would not allow it. I even took it one step farther and asked if I could take pictures of it to have stitched together and I got the same answer that they would not allow it. I did offer money to do each of the above so I am still looking for other options.
Adrian Burton I am not disputing that fg will not be strong enough by itself as I realize there will have to be some kind of frame built but I figured I could take things one step at a time as I know it’s going to be a huge step just to find a monocoque that either someone will allow me to make molds of or one that i can buy. I figured that getting one that’s damaged but at least half of it is in good condition so I can make some molds would be the first step.

AdrianBurton

• Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 10:26:50 PM »
I can guarantee that FG will not be strong enough, especially if you intend to occupy the same envelope.  Even carbon fiber must be oriented correctly, have the properly balanced resin to cloth, and lets not forget the autoclave.  I am not questioning your financial resources, but if I were to ever consider that kind of expense it would be on a uniquely designed auto

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 08:45:10 PM »
Wayne, there is still a lot I do not understand about your project but here are some things I am pretty sure of. 01 is right about the legality. Build all you want for yourself, but when you sell them it crosses the line. Finding investors for a business plan that is not legal might be tough, but I do not think you will need to worry about that, I think the market for people wanting a fiberglass replica monocoque tub to bolt real clips onto is absolutely zero. I do not think you could copy the tub in fiberglass and have it strong enough to work like the composite tub without massive modifications, which kind of defeats the whole original idea. Having said all of that, there is still a much easier way to accomplish this. Tell the chassis that you have found that you are not interested in buying it, but would pay $1,000 for someone to look at it for an afternoon. Contact their local white light 3D scan service (yes not only do they exist, they are plentiful) and have it scanned, should be about $2,000. Spend another $1,000 to clean up the scan and prep it for plug cutting. Spend $2,000 to cut the plug. $6,000 max and you are at the same point without investors and without well over $30,000 spent. Before you do it either way, I would first spend some money on some engineering and see if a fiberglass tub is strong enough to support a car, let alone strong enough to replace a composite tub using only it's dimensions. I just do not think so, fiberglass is not much of a structural element, and selling tubs that break in half is not much of a business plan.   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:01:40 PM by 76mx »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »
Wayne:  After you purchase and repair this (?) monocoque when you find one after you find investors willing to "give" you their hard earned money and you somehow get someone to make some molds of "all" of the panels that are required for this Aventador (plus all of the thousands of other parts required), there will be a "knock, knock" at your front door.  You will be greeted by two lawyers from the AUDI AG corporation, EU.  They will explain the "NO, NO" of what you have worked so hard to accomplish.  They frown on people reproducing exact replacement parts for monetary gain as with your deal with your "investors".
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:24:41 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

wayne

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:16:07 AM »
76mx I have looked at some of them on Grabcad but I’m not sure if the models they have would be to the correct dimensions plus I like the idea of being able to pull a mold where I can get all of the bolt holes for everything that bolts to the monocoque so that’s why I am wanting to find one. If it’s damaged then I most likely will just use it to make molds so as long as at least half of it is in good enough shape that would work for me. I know I’m hard headed but I really like the idea of being able to make it as close to OE as possible. I would even pay for a 3d model from an OE monocoque if I could find one. I have tried to find a company or individual that could make a negative mold but when I have talked to company’s about it they tell me it would cost more for them to do than buying a used monocoque. If you would happen to know of anyone that can help me get what I’m looking for for less than what I have found then I would be great full for the help.

76mx

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
Thanks Wayne, I understand that part now but am still confused. Five seconds on Grabcad found a free Cad model of an Aventador chassis. Why not use that to cut a plug (or even cut a negative and go straight to cutting the mold and eliminate the plug step entirely) instead of purchasing a thirty thousand dollar plus monocoque to do the same thing? Especially one that has to be repaired first.

wayne

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 04:15:51 AM »
In return I could build a replica out of fiberglass for them. I would arrange the pickup and also pay for the shipping so for their part of the payment they would receive an exact copy of the monocoque made from fiberglass. The replica would have to have some kind of frame built buy someone but all the mounting locations and screw holes etc would be there if they would choose to mount factory parts with little fabrication required for mounting factory parts.

76mx

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
I guess that I am missing something. If you do find someone to buy the monocoque with you, do they keep it on the even days and you on the odd ones?

wayne

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply but I would like to build my replica as close as I can make it so that’s why I am looking for the monocoque. I do have some other parts that I have accumulated and I have been able to score some pretty good prices on what I have already bought so that’s why I am looking for the real monocoque. I have soured a monocoque and am looking for someone else that is looking to do the same thing I am. Thanks

76mx

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »
Thanks 01, Wayne if you do not need to have the original monocoque, my aluminum composite monocoque chassis is available in a 104" (Aventador) wheelbase. This is the same style that I use as a 98.5" Countach and Chupacabra Chassis. $7,000USD for a bare chassis, $9,000USD with the four corners hung. If you happen to be at the NSRA Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, Kentucky on August 2-5, both sizes will be on display in the Steel-It booth at the Trade Show. 

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
Wouldn't your budget end up more costly than an OEM Aventador on the used exotic car market?  Have you decided how you are going to license this vehicle after repairing a monocoque chassis designed out of 98% carbon fiber?  How soon would my investment of $50K return $100K to my bank?  Once drivable, wouldn't the car be 15 years old or more?  Sell your used parts and purchase the Chupacabra from 76mx and have more fun sooner.
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired