Author Topic: How much of a donor car needs to remain  (Read 6548 times)

Neils88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: How much of a donor car needs to remain
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
I'm confused why people are complaining about the question. This is a forum for replica builders. Perfectly valid question that many readers/ potential builders will be wondering about. Ultimately details must come from a local DMV, but this should be the place where others can talk about their experiences and help point people in the right direction. The only bad question is an unasked question.

Footcutter

• Liked: 142
  • Member Rating Points: +11/-0
    • 3D car printing
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 11:50:01 AM »
I do not have a Fiero, nor am I a fool.  I just wanted to get others opinions.  Neils88 seems to have the correct advice.

Maybe you could have checked your DMV first if you wanted the "correct answers"?

I did.  Got a lot of "I don't know."  Don't think they deal with a ton of homebuilt cars here in Colorado.  I appreciate all the opinions and advice, other than I am a fool.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »
I do not have a Fiero, nor am I a fool.  I just wanted to get others opinions.  Neils88 seems to have the correct advice.

Maybe you could have checked your DMV first if you wanted the "correct answers"?
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »
Neil I have my registered as  KIT brand none, ( brand none= clean title)) in Ontario and at that time was no need for Emission test. anyway Ontario as of April 2019
any  cars need no test, only heave machinery  . and Hagerty classic insurance operates here too and my buddy has lambo pays like 700$ a year 55K value

Footcutter

• 3D car printing
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 01:39:53 PM »
so you want to register as FIERO? due to insurance cost? you are fool buddy. when even in small accident insurance will not pay for and you'll be charge as fraud . so you spend thousands of buckaroos on build and shy on less the thousand on insurance . I don'  get it. i'm sure every state has its own laws on registering ,so before you jump on building your show off KIT CAR, do some research first. Man I hear of all the years of horror stories about kit and insurance. think twice about Fiero registering. go by the law in your state!

Neils88

• Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
It's important to follow the rules for your state/ province/ country. Here in Ontario, assuming it is built on a Fiero spaceframe, you register with the Fiero VIN but identify it by the body kit name and manufacturer. Instead of Pontiac Fiero, mine gets labeled as INSP, VENT (since it is an Inspire Composites, Venta-R body). If no VIN were available, then it would be registered as "homebuilt" and they assign a VIN. (Used if you build using a tube frame chassis).
 Insurance is determined from a professional appraisal... and you need to insure with a company that handles kit cars, etc. Contact your local DMV (or whoever regulates it where you are) and check the procedures.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:07:17 AM by Neils88 »

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 09:29:02 AM »
so you want to register as FIERO? due to insurance cost? you are fool buddy. when even in small accident insurance will not pay for and you'll be charge as fraud . so you spend thousands of buckaroos on build and shy on less the thousand on insurance . I don'  get it. i'm sure every state has its own laws on registering ,so before you jump on building your show off KIT CAR, do some research first. Man I hear of all the years of horror stories about kit and insurance. think twice about Fiero registering. go by the law in your state!

Footcutter

• 3D car printing
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »
I was planning on cutting out the panel with the plate, and rivets, then welding it to the new chassis.

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 09:03:19 AM »
In Texas, they checked to make sure the original VIN number was in place with the factory rosetta rivets. I was able to remove a vent so the inspector could see it was in place. I would suggest you check with your local DMV before relocating or at least have access to see the original in place.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:09:29 PM »
In Michigan, if the replica doesn't look like a Fiero,  NO PLATES.

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

rodrieguz

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 77
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »
I removed the vin from the fiero and riveted it back to the dash  top , painted the area black and didn’t have any issues

Footcutter

• 3D car printing
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:39:33 PM »
Well in this case it is how much do I need to use.  Just the piece with the VIN plate welded to the new chassis?

rodrieguz

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 77
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:16:06 PM »
In my state as long as you kept the original vin in place it didn't matter.  google stretched fiero pics

Footcutter

• 3D car printing
How much of a donor car needs to remain
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
To simplify my build, I am wondering how much of a donor car is needed to keep the donor VIN for registering.  Anybody have experience in this?

Thanks