Author Topic: Taking the plunge  (Read 1327 times)

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
Re: Taking the plunge
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:12:50 AM »
Welcome, you have a great plan. The worst feeling is getting started on a project and run out of parts or money to finnish it. Take your time and find a good quality body that has good thick fiberglass coating... And feel free to ask any and all questions and start a build thread  ::thumbup

Dustin

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »
This site caught my attention because there are many new posts every day. Some of the other sites have sporadic updates, but the members of this site are here all the time.

You've nailed the best thing about this site! 

We are a community of members across the world that are building our dreams.   I'm very thankful for everyone that shares their stories and tips and makes the journey for the next guy a little easier.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:54:38 PM by No Bull »

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
Welcome to the site.

We can use more Diablo and Countach builders here and I'm looking forward to seeing your build diary once you've selected your project.

Chris

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »
I bought my body from John and I'm currently building a chassis for it.  It's tough to decide who to go with, hopefully you will find a body soon.  Either way you go the NAERC chassis can be adapted to fit both the Murcielago and the Diablo.
Pedro

gtxdon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
I've looked into a few of the manufacturers but it seems like Audi has squashed a lot of them. There's nothing local or even remotly close to Chicago. Seems to be a pretty wide gap in quality also. I looked at a couple of bodies that guys are trying to get rid of around here, but they were pretty beat up. One had the front bumper cut off. The bumper was cracked in a couple of places and part of it was missing. both front fenders were broken off about two thirds of the way up and the front bonnet was missing. The guy didn't know the manufacturer as he bought it from someone else, so I'm not sure if other aftermatket stuff could be adapted to complete the body. The 'glass work on the rest looked good though.
 The other body was cracked down the roof and part of the windshield pillar was missing. It looked like a chop gun job and was really wobbly. Jim Dinner suggested TRP and I've heard that John Watson has a high quality Mercie body, but I like the Diablo a lot. I'm still sorting through the chassis options right now, so I'm keeping my choices open on the body.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
Welcome! sounds like you have a good plan.  Did you get or do you know where you are going to get the body? ::wave
Pedro

gtxdon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Taking the plunge
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »
Hey Everyone,
 My name is Don. This site caught my attention because there are many new posts every day. Some of the other sites have sporadic updates, but the members of this site are here all the time.
 This is my first scratch built project. I'm an old school hot rodder and have finished my own frame up restos and been involved in many others with friends. My experience with kit cars includes a couple of classic 'vette and T'bird builds, but they were pretty basic compared to what it takes to replicate a Lamborghini. Fortunatly through the many years of working on some old muscle and rods, I have acquired a lot of experience that should help me complete this project. Also I have made a lot of friends that are willing to chip in with the skills that I know I should leave to the experts. We have done a lot of favors for each other over the years so the barter system is in full play. I'll assemble your motor and install it, you finish weld my frame.
 I live outside Chicago so resources for the most part are plentiful. I'm going with a tube chassis, V12, Audi trans. The Diablo 6.0 is my body of choice. I'll be spending the majority of the winter collecting parts and basic materials and look to launch the project in spring.
 I look forward to following your builds, and picking up tips and tricks as I prepare to jump into the deep end of the pool.