Author Topic: Help with wiring door poppers  (Read 6097 times)

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: Help with wiring door poppers
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:44:26 PM »
Hey JDinner,

I tried condition 2 and it worked!!  Yay!!  I had the button wire going directly to the Solenoid wire when it should have been wired to 86 on the relay harness along with the FOB wire.  Also I read up on relays with this article
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Using-Relays/A_112716/article.html
and it helped me out a bit to understanding relays  ::beers  Thanks again Fieroking and Jdinner.

notnilc20

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:03:50 PM »
Wow, thanks FieroKing and Jdinner. 

For the FOB side, it has the computer that is connected to a Relay that connects directly to the passenger side Popper solenoid.  But like you mentioned, the interior side button is connected to a constant 12V and when you push it, it connects this 12V to the Popper solenoid.  Maybe, I need another relay between this button and popper solenoid? 

Also, Jdinner, your explanation of condition 2 might be the way I need to go.  Thanks for both of your time and consideration.  I'll be trying these ideas next time out.

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:27:04 AM »
Re-reading it appears you only want the solenoid to move one direction.

Condition 1;
The FOB sends out a negative signal.
The interior switch sends out a negative signal.
30 - 12V+ constant
87A- not used
87 - solenoid wire 1
85 - 12V+ constant
86 - FOB wire and interior switch wire BOTH.
Solenoid wire 2 - ground.

Condition 2;
The FOB sends out a positive signal.
The interior switch sends out a positive signal.
30 - 12V+ constant
87A- not used
87 - solenoid wire 1
85 - ground
86 - FOB wire and interior switch wire BOTH.

Condition 3;
The FOB sends out a negative signal.
The interior switch sends out a positive signal.
TWO RELAYS WILL BE REQUIRED
Relay 1
30 - 12V+ constant
87A- not used
87 - solenoid wire 1
85 - 12V+ constant
86 - FOB wire
Relay 2
30 - 12V+ constant
87A- not used
87 - solenoid wire 1 Tee'd with relay 1
85 - ground
86 - interior switch wire

Condition 4
The FOB sends out a positive signal.
The interior switch sends out a negative signal.
TWO RELAYS WILL BE REQUIRED
Relay 1
30 - 12V+ constant
87A- not used
87 - solenoid wire 1
85 - ground
86 - FOB wire
Relay 2
30 - 12V+ constant
87A- not used
87 - solenoid wire 1 Tee'd with relay 1
85 - 12V+ constant
86 - interior switch wire

That should cover everything possible.
The relay types are labelled so 87A is normally closed (NC) and 87 is normally open (NO)
Not the crap ones that have 87 and 87a wired together.

jdinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 06:11:50 AM »
Where the diagram says "left and right solenoids 1" and "left and right solenoids 2" - These are the two solenoids wired together so a central locking/unlocking system can used.
Lets say you have a red and blue wire on your solenoids. Wire the two red together and the two blue together. Connect the two blue to the 30 terminal on the left relay. Connect the two red to the 30 terminal on the right relay.
Wire the 85's and the 87's to a positive power source. Wire the 87a's to ground.
Now whenever you touch ONE OF THE 86 terminals to a ground you will get movement. Connect the other 86 to ground it will move the other direction. DO NOT connect both 86's to ground at the same time.

Fieroking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
    • Fieroking Customs
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:13:17 AM »
From reading your explanation I think the problem is that neither power source can provide enough power (amperage) for the solenoid to function correctly. I would recommend that you put a relay in the circuit with either wire A or B able to close the relay. With the relay activated power could flow through the contact (30 amp relay) straight to the solenoid which would then have enough amperage to function. Switches and the FOB computer can not carry enough amperage to allow a solenoid to function.

Joe Sokol
Joe Sokol
sokolja@roadrunner.com
WWW.FIEROKING.COM

notnilc20

Help with wiring door poppers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:25:23 PM »
Hi there,

OK, in the diagram ex01 the (O) is the popper and wire (a) is the wire that is used to activate the Popper from the computer when you push the button on the FOB.  Wire (b) is connected to a button that is used to open the car from the interior.  However, wire (a) and wire (b) are connected at the (O) the popper and I think what it's doing is when I activate the FOB, the power is going from (a) and partially to (O) and partially travelling down (b) and visa-versa thus causing a division in the power and the popper is not activating fully.  which is what the broken arrows are depicting.  Is this what is happening you think?

What I'm wondering is if I can do what is in ex02.  Where there is some kind of a 2 into 1 junction box of some sort where the  (a) and (b) can junction to go to (O) without connecting to eachother (a)(b).

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say here.  thanks and help is appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:19:06 AM by notnilc20 »