Author Topic: My submerged 1988 Fiero GT/ input on my replacement donor Fiero.  (Read 3130 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: My submerged 1988 Fiero GT/ input on my replacement donor Fiero.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
Right on, Chris.  My build was on a rusty Michigan Fiero.  I found that the center of the worst rust occurred under the bucket seats on the floor pan.  With that in mind, I checked the front suspension areas and found minimal surface rust around the spot welds which cleaned up with a brillo disc.  Eastwood's rust encapsulator was applied after clean up.  With the surround framework and the roll cage tubing, the chassis is sound in my opinion.  Structural areas on the front end have been braced along with the X-brace under the floor pan.  I think that everyone on this forum will agree that a few $K saved at the onset will definitely be spent to add the oem pieces that make an excellent replica in the end.  Hey, only my $0.02,  Like has been said, a SC 3.8L already installed is very tempting.  ::thumbup    Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:47:34 AM »
The big concerns with buying a water damaged car could be reduced or even eliminated (at the right price) if only the frame was used.  Normal (non-salt) water would not scare me if I was only using the frame and stretching it anyhow.  The electrical and drive train are the areas to worry about if any water was involved.  I would make sure I spent a couple hours with a power washer blasting every crack and crevice and then dry it completely out.

Now on the other hand, if I could use the insurance check with anything I could get from the Fiero and buy a Fiero with a 3800SC in it already.. no brainer and you'd be much further ahead in my personal opinion. 

The key to buying a donor is to buy as rust free as possible.  For us up North, spending a little extra and buying a car that has never left AZ, Nevada, Texas, California or New Mexico is money in the bank and more time left to focus on the body and other parts of the build.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:44:49 PM by No Bull »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
I guess that I need more info.  What were the concerns with using the water damaged Fiero?  Were you going to stretch the Fiero to build your chassis?  Were you going to use the oem engine?  Surely the CPU and the engine wiring will need replacing if you are going to swap in a new engine.  The taillight harness would have to be redesigned anyway along with the front harness and the dash harness.  You will only be left with the heater harness if you stay with the oem Fiero heater/AC unit.  I'm not seeing any problem with structural integrity with the metal.  These bodies were completely submerged in rust preventative solution during assembly at the factory.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Blue knight

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:30:39 AM »
Do you want to buy my submerged fiero? I paid 3,500

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:45:09 AM »
go with the SC3800. How much for that donor?

Blue knight

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
My submerged 1988 Fiero GT/ input on my replacement donor Fiero.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
To all who responded to my thread recently, I am profoundly grateful for the kind words of encouragement and your concern for our well being, as well as, the offers of assistance from complete strangers has been amazing. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I would like to report that progress in the rebuilding process is steadfast and I can honestly say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

As I am trying to have a sense of normalcy, I heeded to your advice not to use the submerged Fiero that I lost and confirmed with pro shops in my area not use the vehicle as donor for obvious reasons. And so, I am looking at three Fieros:

First is a, 1987 Fiero gt with a 3.8l supercharged swap out of a Pontiac Grand Prix 10,000 on the motor.
The Engine
3.4 pulley
Cold intake
custom headers
Custom tune
315HP
320 torque

Fiero number2, is a 88 Pontiac fiero with a strong SBC 350.

ENGINE
350 4 bolt block
Aluminum heads with 64cc chambers and 210 runnners
Single plane Intake (the heads and intake were port matched and opened up to a 1206 felpro, just the machine work cost me $500 on top of the price of the heads and intake)
Hydraulic flat tappet cam with 488/510 lift 234/244 duration installed advanced 4 degrees with a double roller timing set
Holly 750 double pumper carb
1.6 full roller rockers
hardened push rods with correct length for valve train (+100)

TRANSMISSION
5 speed manual
SPEC stage 4 plus clutch rated for 600ft/lb $500
Aluminum flywheel $500

FIERO
Racing seats
Tires and wheels on the car now are 19" rears and 17" fronts the offset and tire size is a perfect
Scoop installed on the decklid to clear the intake
Aluminum 4 core radiation
Custom exhaust with headers and thrush welded mufflers (sounds amazing)
Ceramic pads and cross drilled and slotted rotors (rears still need to be installed)
Short throw shifter
new suspension up front

Third fiero is a 1988 GT model with stock trans and engine.

So please me help out with making the right choice. I have an idea which fiero I want for my Reventon build but I need some input from you guys. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:11:45 PM by Blue knight »