Author Topic: 2020 M1L- C8 Corvette 8 Speed Transaxle  (Read 4467 times)

aeauto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: 2020 M1L- C8 Corvette 8 Speed Transaxle
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 11:58:24 PM »
Remember that this is a dual clutch transmission.  Quite a bit different from a conventional automatic so probably needs a substantially different program for the computer.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 10:58:18 AM »
i understand,i remember PCS,many conversations,900 to start work,did-not, we went to Arkansas got what we needed for 475.00 ready to go.
Usually when I learn that I have approached something from the wrong direction, I am naturally disappointed, but in this case I am quite happy. Could I please get the contact info for the $475 Arkansas people?

eddie

• Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 09:54:46 PM »
my wife 2017  Acura has 8 speed auto with paddle shift , lot new cars have similar transmissions, maybe due to 4 or 6 bangers with turbo.

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 08:08:21 PM »
i understand,i remember PCS,many conversations,900 to start work,did-not, we went to Arkansas got what we needed for 475.00 ready to go.
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

76mx

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »
I had a long conversation with the engineers at PCS (Powertrain Control Solutions) yesterday. The have well over half of the U.S. market for reprogramming and most of the other programmers are repackagers or private labels of them. They told me that they needed a market of at least 10,000 units before they will get interested in it, and to put that in perspective, the new eight speed in the F-150 has been out for three years and still the interest has not approached that number. If in the next years that market number is ever achieved, it will be at least another year to develop the product, putting it many years out at the soonest. I asked them about an independent hacker doing this and they told me maybe but not likely. GM goes to a great deal of effort to keep this from happening and that hacker would need very deep pockets because at least a dozen units will be fried before getting it right. I also confirmed that transplanting the entire drivetrain of engine, transaxle, and computer will not work either. That computer needs to know that the doors are locked and the gas cap is tight among hundreds of other things before it will start the car. It will still need to be reprogrammed and everything stated above about the market share, time, expense, and fried units applies to this as well.   

italianknightrider

• IKR
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 02:46:49 PM »
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

italianknightrider

• IKR
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »
i understand what you are saying 76mx, lets give the hackers time to figure out what sensors and other controls are required to run the unit stand-alone ,to use a computer from another 8 speed or maybe 10 speed by then ,from one of the manufactures who are using front wheel drive & rear wheel drive 8 speeds transmission ,we should give them some time to adapter a current production trans controller with modify shift points to the C8 transaxle & it,s gear ratio,s ,i have a lot of faith in the aftermarket community.lol i will be watching LKQ like no body,s business for a C8 Gbox and axles 

https://www.usshift.com/usq2.shtml?gclid=CjwKCAjw7anqBRALEiwAgvGgm_mxJvDVZjJ4gedyxngpl20Ru-nW9qFk1MEvyzxl4WCWyQ8J-MNJWBoCttkQAvD_BwE

https://www.motor1.com/news/362492/corvette-c8-engine-gearbox-explained/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:46:18 PM by italianknightrider »

76mx

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 05:57:00 PM »
Yes, I thought about that, it just stings to wait three years and then be told maybe in another five.

Bartman

• Liked: 23
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »
The good news is:  If this model is as popular as previous vettes and sells in similar numbers, depreciates as fast of previous models, in 5 years, there will be plenty of used transaxles and someone will have likely made an aftermarket controller by then.....

76mx

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 02:26:41 PM »
IKR, I don't want to rain on this but here comes a hurricane. Many years ago, when a news article was published about next year's mid engine Corvette and the new Tremec transaxle and how that transaxle would be a huge asset to the replica industry, I called my buds at Tremec and told them I wanted one. They told me they had seen the article too and did not know what it was talking about, that unit was at least three years still in development. Now three years later here it and the mid engine Corvette is, so last weekend at the Street Rod Nationals I met face to face with my buds at Tremec and told them again that I wanted one. They told me it was proprietary to Chevy and they could not and will not sell me one. I could buy one from Chevy...but...I need to give them the VIN Number of my 2020 Corvette to authorize the sale. Even if I did that, I have more problems. There is only one computer that manages the engine and transaxle, so one will not work without the other. I would need to order the transaxle AND that engine as a complete drivetrain unit...and...I need to give them the VIN Number of my 2020 Corvette to authorize the sale. 

italianknightrider

• IKR

italianknightrider

• IKR
2020 M1L- C8 Corvette 8 Speed Transaxle
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:11:03 PM »
M1L 8 Speed Transaxle

3.62 or 3.80

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ep1hY83yH3RWBBam9

General Motors has just been granted a patent for a new, compact, dual-clutch transmission featuring eight, nine, or 10 forward speeds.

Invented by Tejinder Singh and assigned to General Motors Technology Operations LLC, United States patent #10,309,489 seems primarily concerned with making a DCT with improved “packaging.” Technological wonders that they are, DCTs are also complicated mechanisms. As the name indicates, they include two clutches, two power input paths, two gears for every forward speed along with their synchronizers, plus three gears to implement reverse.

That's a lot of machinery to fit into one case. The patent attempts to create an efficient, responsive, and compact dual-clutch gearbox that takes up as little space as necessary.

Although the invention is described as a “transmission,” the drawings and claims include a differential on the output, so in today's parlance it could also be called a transaxle, incorporating the final drive in the transmission case.

Rumors regarding the transmission of the C8 Corvette are nothing new; in early April, a report surfaced suggesting that the new mid-engine sports car could get a dual-clutch, eight-speed automatic transmission from ZF. This unit, or variants of it, have been used in vehicles including the Porsche Panamera, Porsche 918 Spyder, and Bentley Continental GT.

Also Read: Chevy’s 2020 Corvette C8 May Have 8-Speed With Similarities To Porsche 918’s ‘Box

he patent doesn’t mention what gearbox manufacturer the new transmission would come from, but some suggest it could be made by Tremec instead of ZF.

It is widely believed that the C8 Corvette will be sold with a plethora of different engines, likely starting with a 6.2-liter naturally aspirated V8 and potentially including a twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter V8, among others. All units are expected to feature the same transmission and, to keep up with the current crop of supercars, it would only make sense for Chevrolet to equip the cars with a dual-clutch ‘box.

Chevrolet will unveil the all-new Corvette on July 18

IKR Quote:

If it,s not made by Tremec they better get busy making a 10 speed dual clutch Automatic capable of handling 1100 HP ,to get ahead of the game,lol other manufactures. Ladies & Gents this is the one part the Fiero & Tubular chassis manufactures were missing ,for a home built High HP set-up.This transaxle will open doors for all of us.Post any and all information you find on this thread about this transaxle,gear ratio,s, axle size diameter,wiring diagrams,etc.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:45:35 PM by italianknightrider »