Replica?
6 (50%)
Factory?
4 (33.3%)
Modified Factory?
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: December 29, 2012, 06:33:48 PM

Author Topic: Challenge #1 Countach Roadster?  (Read 3800 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: Challenge #1 Countach Roadster?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »
This Countach is real and it's red. (Chris, you said we had until Dec. 29th) I win!! ::headbang ::headbang ::headbang

Jim

Tusabes let the cat out of the bag so I figured I'd end it early.   ::toothy  No problem and next time we should probably lock the thread and only leave it open for voting until after the poll has ended.

It's a pretty cool car with some interesting history and without knowing the background on it I would've thought it was a replica. 

Does someone want to take a shot at finding the next challenge?  Remember that it can be parts or an entire car.

Chris

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »
This Countach is real and it's red. (Chris, you said we had until Dec. 29th) I win!! ::headbang ::headbang ::headbang

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »
Looking at the interior I thought it was real, surprised so many thought it wasn't  ::scratch

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 08:42:12 AM »
Good Challenge and interesting documentation on this car! ::beers

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:04:34 AM »
Ok, here is the full story on this very rare and unusual "modified factory" car.

Autodrome - Collection Lamborghini proudly presents a mythical automobile, that many believed destroyed or lost : the Countach LP400 Spider "Mardikian", named after the American engineer and importer who launched this exciting and provocative project.

Al Mardikian, a Californian distributor of the most beautful and rare European exotics, was surrounded by a spicy reputation, due to the fact that some of the extraordinary cars that he offered to his whealthy clients were not "fully" compliant with Federal regulations

Mardikian inspired the first scenes of "Rain Man", when Tom Cruise unsuccessfully tries to clear the US customs for a bunch of Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari... In addition, Mardikian created some of the the "Miami Vice" very special sports cars, that remain worldwide famous.

This LP400 SPider is mentionned and pictured in most books relating the history of Lamborghini, and all enthusiasts know this over-outrageous version of the iconic Countach LP400. It's one of the very few open-top classic Lamborghini, all of which are extremely sought-after by collectors (Miura Roadster Bertone, Miura SVJ Spider, Touring 400GT spider).

This Countach LP400 #1120262 was delivered on June 14th, 1977. It belonged for many years to Rod Stewart, a well-known super car owner - he owned two Miuras. The car was ordered in RHD as indicated in the factory documents ; however, since Rod Stewart was based in the USA at the end of the seventies, the car was then put in LHD configuration.

First driven in Hollywood and surroundings, this car was re-imported into Europe (London) where it remained until 2002, with the English registration RMK 651 R (R stands for registrations made between August 1976 and July 1977). It remained very probably unused or scarcely driven during many years, before being purchased by the second and last owner, a man who launched a complete restoration of the engine 3000 km ago.

This automobile is still absolutely authentic, with its period open top and removable roof, completed by detachable side windows enabling an integral "Roadster" configuration.

The famous sleek shapes of the wheel arches have also remained original : it's a magnificent aesthetical compromise between the pure original shape of the LP400 and the heavier LP400S style, which included a visible separation between the wheelarch itself and the extension. The wheels are the same as on the Bravo and on the very rare LP400S "low body".

Mardikian had not only created a Spider LP400 but has also modernised it, borrowing the bigger wheels and outrageous wing of the LP400S. The futur owner could easily, whilst keeping the authentich "Mardikian Spider" modification, restore the bodywork to the "narrow" body of the original LP400 "periscopica", from which this Spider was born. The result could be one of the most beautiful car ever.

The odometer show only 11.800 miles, very probably true, taking into account the number of cars in the garage of the famous owner. Its original condition with some patina, makes it very precious and desirable for any collector.

This automobile exceptional automobile is is effect a remarkable piece of History in the Lamborghini saga: Ferruccio and his Team have always challenge all existing rules with outrageous cars. In the sixties and seventies, each Lamborghini model was a revolution...

In addition, it offers all the exciting specifications of the earliest Countach: 375 BHP, only 1065 kg and 315 kmh (195 mph), thanks to the generous 45 mm Weber - limited to 40 mm for the LP400S in order to "detune" the engine for the average driver...

Classic Lamborghini are extremely rare in Spider : after only two "open" 350 GT presented by Touring, the only known examples were the Roadster Miura (Bertone, 1968), the Miura SVJ Spider (Geneva 1981), and the Pregunta (1998). The LP400 Spider is therefore the very last classic Lamborghini Spider, and even though it was not officially presented by the firm, it has become a highly fascinating and sought-after collector Lamborghini.

Thanks for playing...   ::thumbup

Chris

Tusabes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 03:43:40 AM »
A modified factory

They took the real car
Converted by Albert mardikian to a targa

He also built the Miami vice Daytona with mcburnie

Google search for mardikian countach and you'll see the images

What do I win? ;)

The more important question is do you know if its for sale ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:48:12 AM by Tusabes »

rodrieguz

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 77
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
This looks to be a factory car to me, it may be a one concept or converted to a targa top

DiabloRoadsterJC

• Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:37:44 PM »
I vote replica. No factory targa top to my knowledge, and definitely no fender flares molded one piece into body. Fake or Factory........ FAKE !

Murci-Me

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:11:06 PM »
I voted replica!

No Bull

• Administrator
Challenge #1 Countach Roadster?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »
Come on guys and play along.  The rules are simple, post something that you think can stump the other members.  Feel free to post a picture of a part or complete car and be sure to post a follow-up a couple days later that discloses the true origin. 

If you post a challenge, please start it in a new thread so it's not mixed up with another one.  You can enable the polling feature by selecting it instead of "new thread". 

I'll start the game and post the first one.

Faked or Factory?

Chris