Author Topic: Cable shifter  (Read 1857 times)

aeauto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Cable shifter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 09:03:09 AM »
You will just have to check and see if when you move the lever sideways through the neutral gate that it moves the cable correctly to rotate the shifter shaft in the transmission the right direction to select the correct gear gates.  You may need to modify the transmission linkage to make it work right.  The short shifter kit makes it a little harder to shift the gears as it changes the leverage on the shifter.

dwafford

• Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »
Thanks, guys, for the good feedback.  I should have provided a little more information.  I already have the bracket to mount to the tail of the transmission, and I understand that I'll have to either find or have custom-made cables due to the distance from the shifter to the tail of the car.  My concern was whether the Porsche shifter would engage the gears properly - I think it's originally installed on a 6-speed tranny, and my G50 is a 5-speed - and whether it could be properly adjusted to hit those gear points correctly within the confines of the Lambo shifter gate.  The shift rod is flattened, as opposed to the round Lambo shaft, but fortunately it's bolt-in, so I can change that.  I thought that if this shifter would work at all, then perhaps I would also have to make other mods to get everything working together smoothly.  And by the way, the shifter that I'm thinking of buying has already had the short-shifter kit installed, which I think is good - the shift lever from the factory was pretty long.  Thanks again for good feedback.

aeauto

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »
The 911 is rear engine with the tail of the transmission in front of the rear axle.  When used with a V8 in a mid-engine position the tail is to the rear of the axle so the cables will be much too short.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
I got a used 911/996 6speed shifter assembly and cables off eBay for $72. Looks like most of them are the same for different Porsche models. The cables are about 46 1/2" end to end. Make sure they will be long enough if you go that route.

aeauto

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
You can probably use the Boxster shifter but you will have to fabricate the linkage at the transmission and make some adapters to fit the cables to the shifter.  Factory Five sells a cable shifter for the GTM that would work for you.  I think it is made by Brandwood.

dwafford

• Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Cable shifter
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
I'm running a Porsche G50 transmission behind a Chevy V-8.  I'm thinking of trying the Porsche Boxster cable shifter.  Anyone have any experience with this, or with any other cable shifter on a Porsche transmission?  Thanks for any advice.