Author Topic: Front Engine Lambos  (Read 5101 times)

armyman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 6
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
Re: Front Engine Lambos
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »
Dropping a firebird/camaro engine from the bottom is not much different than dropping a Fiero engine, but either way I don't like the look of a front engine Lambo.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
Doesn't look worth the trouble at all
even if it were possible I don't see many being interested
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:50:07 AM by Tallon »

Tusabes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »
There is about six inches of room to reposition the windshield forward and lower before blocking the engine compartment .

You lose the factory wiper position but it brings the windshield farther forward and lower to look like the lambo ,

see ronin video here at 1:55

and it doesn't intrude into the engine compartments at all

In terms of that overlay view , the high side view mirror fender area is all hollow plastic in the camaro , to blend into the mirror profile , and will not interfere once the camaro fenders are removed
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:17:47 AM by Tusabes »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
Anyone ever try to pull a Camaro/Firebird engine out the bottom for repair?  Better rethink skinning a Camaro with a repositioned windshield.  However, if you had a removable windshield and front clip that might eliminate my concern.

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:02:23 AM »
I thought that this model fuse put this to rest a long time ago.  You can clearly see the differences and where the GM F body will not clear the body.  This is more than cosmetic and it's a matter of where and how the firewall and engine sits in the frame.  As said before, this would be like trying to putting the skin of a lion on the body of an elephant and it's the places where it won't cover that end up making the car look bad.  If you are looking at saving $5,000 by going this route and it's the major reason for doing so, some friendly advice is to rethink building a Lamborghini replica because $5,000 doesn't get you very far in this hobby (personal experience has proven this about $30,000 ago).  I continue to read about "stretched Fiero's" becoming a safety concern and I can only suspect these comments are made from a lack of knowing what's involved to do this correctly.  I cannot recall a singe story of someone having a frame break apart on them and we need to remember that most automobile frames are simple pressed stampings welded together to create a box.  Most all of the stretch jobs that I've seen are actually on the side of "overbuilt" when compared with what GM used then or even uses today.

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:08:11 AM by No Bull »

Tusabes

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:53:21 AM »
I think the whole idea of using a front engine car with the correct or "close enough" wheelbase is less time work and money !! Not more.

- no drivetrain swap since OEM ls 1 is sufficient . That saved $5-10k right there.
- no stretch so the car is much much safer

Murci-Me

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:00:40 AM »
I think the whole point of these cars are the mid engine design though, and a big reason people build them. I'm sure with alot of work, you could build a front engine Lambo replica, but what would be the point? Why would you want to go through all that extra time, work and money just so you can have a LS1 and 6 speed in the front?

Tusabes

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 02:32:46 AM »

Build it on a camaro convertible chassis

I'm confident it can be done by lowering the windshield to sit farther forward and lower (ronin tried this ) and eliminate the pregnant front end look

You could also avoid a chassis stretch and drivetrain swap that way as it will have a ls1 and six speed

Seriously? Keeping the engine in front? What would you put in the back, a rumble seat?
[/quote]
Just the radiators moved to the rear and a nice huge luggage area under the rear engine cover.  AD posted pics of a Sebring bodied lp640 that did not look pregnant and had the engine in front - with the sloped fenders of the aventador providing more room for the Camaro shock towers, I'm confident that moving the windshield and relocating radiators to the back can fix the front end , eliminate the stretch and power train swap issues

If I had the mechanical skills id try it but I don't

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 10:58:40 PM »
Aventedor coupe. I guess im too late.

Murci-Me

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »
I will not be building it for any donor, I hate using donors.  So much crap that you have to cut off and rework to get the body to sit right and alot of things need to be relocated to make it work.  I'll be building a tube chassis for it, maybe an all aluminum one or just dom tube haven't decided yet.

That would be an excellent build  ;)

I'm confident it can be done by lowering the windshield to sit farther forward and lower (ronin tried this ) and eliminate the pregnant front end look

You could also avoid a chassis stretch and drivetrain swap that way as it will have a ls1 and six speed

Seriously? Keeping the engine in front? What would you put in the back, a rumble seat?

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »

Ronin did a lot talking about doing this yet we've never seen anything proving that he actually started or finished anything.  The guy seemed to suffer for the "littles"  (little money, little toolbox, little time, little experience, little maturity, little patience and little respect for anyone who tried to really help him).   

The only example that I'm aware of is the CarKit project that looks completely out of proportion in my personal opinion.

exzi

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
  First off I'm no newb to the kitcar industry,

can show your past work KitCar?
I apologize for my English, I use a translator

apsara

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Liked: 32
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:15:37 AM »
I will not be building it for any donor, I hate using donors.  So much crap that you have to cut off and rework to get the body to sit right and alot of things need to be relocated to make it work.  I'll be building a tube chassis for it, maybe an all aluminum one or just dom tube haven't decided yet.

apsara

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Liked: 32
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
The steel welding line is what carries the voltage through the whip though, if you change it to teflon you would also have to create a new path for the voltage.
The spool gun works because its a short distance between the Alum wire spool and the welding point, the wire doesnt have to be pushed very far through the tube, which remains straight and doesnt allow the Alum wire to bend causing kinks and jams. Most whips are 6+ feet long though, and are able to bend and flex like a water hose. Pushing Alum wire from behind through 6 feet of bent and twisting teflon tubing is a recipe for disaster though, the wire is not rigid enough to hold straight for that distance without jamming. I hope for your sake it works though, put a video up on YouTube when you get the thing going. You are not the first person to try this though, and I think if it were possible welder manufacturers would offer an Aluminum ready whip to fit in place of the steel one.
Kinda makes you wonder why they went through all that work designing the spool gun when all they had to do is replace the guide tube on their existing steel whips LOL!

Here are some examples of people already made it work.  The only draw back with this method is that the wire tends to move around alot, you get a lot of walking when trying to get your pool going.  might be the reason why manufactures didn't go with this method, but it can be done.
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=18489
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWmHYlFxK4Y

Tusabes

Front Engine Lambos
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:10:49 AM »