Author Topic: Hinges?  (Read 2982 times)

lance345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Hinges?
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 07:04:35 PM »
Right after I posted up this thread LamboJayso posted up some hinges for sale in the "Modified parts for sale" section. I went with those and he was easy to deal with. Very prompt replies. I'll be looking into how to give a +1 trade count as soon as I get them, which should be soon  :)

For me the price couldn't be beat locally. Here in Alberta anything to do with trades is crazy expensive. I know, I worked on cars and made a killing  ::thumbup

dratts

• Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
I might as well use the hinges I have and just modify them.  Any advice on what bearings and shaft I should use?  I read the thread where someone used what looked like pillow blocks for bearings, but I wouldn't be able to use something like that on my hinges.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »
Someone a while back offered a set plus the parts to assemble a few more.  I pmed but got no reply.  I bought my murci with the doors already mounted.  Since I don't know how the frame mounting for the hinges was done I'm a little bit shy to order Anyones hinges for fear that my frame mounts might be different.  My hinges have no bushings and I'm leaning towards bronze bushings with a precision fit.  Maybe I should just remove my hinges and install tight fitting bronze bushings with zerk fittings.  I have a triangle G G28 body on a Fiero chassis.

Personally I would skip even the bronze bushings for roller / needle bearings.  Think of the weight of the doors and how all this weight is constantly pushing down on this hinge point and the number of times your doors open and close and I think you'll see how even bronze will pick up some slop after a while and need to be replaced.

Just my 2 cents  ::thumbup

Chris

dratts

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »
Someone a while back offered a set plus the parts to assemble a few more.  I pmed but got no reply.  I bought my murci with the doors already mounted.  Since I don't know how the frame mounting for the hinges was done I'm a little bit shy to order Anyones hinges for fear that my frame mounts might be different.  My hinges have no bushings and I'm leaning towards bronze bushings with a precision fit.  Maybe I should just remove my hinges and install tight fitting bronze bushings with zerk fittings.  I have a triangle G G28 body on a Fiero chassis.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:58:37 AM by dratts »

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
Hey all,

I'm happy to say I'll be starting the build soon, and I'm trying to get everything lined up. Hinges have, however, eluded me greatly. Is it best to use the plans from here and have them machined? Or does someone on here make them or know a source for the oem look ones?

Any help would be appreciated.

See thread:
http://lamboclone.com/index.php?topic=481.msg5731;topicseen#msg5731
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:25:35 PM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
Look in the "How To Tips" section under "Doors".  There is a ton of information there on quality hinges.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

dratts

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:02:43 AM »
I've been trying to keep up with the hinge issue.  There is such leverage on these hinges.  My G28 has more wobble from side to side than I like, but with the leverage involved I'm not sure that ANY scissor door won't have the same issues.  Any opinions on what would be the best bearings?  I was thinking needle bearings, but perhaps the major benefit there would be friction minimalizing and mostly I just want minimal side movement.  Wider hinges and beefier frame for mounting them?

lance345

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Hinges?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:52:46 AM »
Hey all,

I'm happy to say I'll be starting the build soon, and I'm trying to get everything lined up. Hinges have, however, eluded me greatly. Is it best to use the plans from here and have them machined? Or does someone on here make them or know a source for the oem look ones?

Any help would be appreciated.