Author Topic: Reventon build  (Read 39681 times)

Matty99dun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 22
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: Reventon build
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48:40 AM »
Keep in mind the relationship of the tire center of tread in relation to the center of your wheel bearing.  This is usually not mentioned in the same post as using wheel spacers/adapters.  When your tire center moves outward, you change your geometry and bearing load.  Try to get a happy medium and achieve good handling. ::thumbup

Jim
I wanted to add a comment on the rim/spacer view.
having rims with a massive deep dish causes more load on the wheel bearing than a hub centric spacer does, during corning the weight and the force  is transferred to the outer edge of the rim putting all the strain on the bearing, when the Lambo rims are used with a spacer the outer edge is reduced so this strain is also reduced, that's why the genuine 335 wide rims don't have a large offset, a deep dish rim it looks better.. I agree, but its not a better solution over a hub centric spacer

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2015, 07:59:21 AM »
Good work, the sides are really taking shape now!
Pedro

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2015, 12:02:57 AM »
Looks good. Keep it up!!!

lance345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »
First pic - random pic of carbon fiber on my hood. I got all ready and my epoxy had turned to a weird slush... I have to buy some new stuff apparently. I guess also to solve any mysteries later on of if the stuff I claim to have carbon fiber'ed are real or vinyl. Yes I will be doing some vinyl - probably interior, maybe the whole car after paint down the road, I don't know for sure I've just never done it and want to learn - but I will be doing real carbon fiber on quite a bit of the car.

Pic two - Just a pic from the front of the car. Why not.

lance345

« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2015, 10:57:50 PM »
First pic - Gap left from the way I fiberglassed the outside and the inside of the window frame.

Second pic - My solution to the first pic.

Third pic - Just finished the very rough glassing of the inside of the passenger door. Driver's door is a little further along, but not much. This door will need one more layer of long strand, then they both need some short strand work before they are painted.

Fourth pic - the door card just sitting on the door. It needs to be trimmed obviously, then I have no clue what to do. I would love to get the cards upholstered but I don't know how, and there is no one in my city that will do it. I'll figure something out. When in doubt, I carbon fiber it!

lance345

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2015, 10:51:14 PM »
First two pics - Just showing progress on the windshield surround. This was done a long time ago, but I haven't put up a pic in about a year. I glued Styrofoam blocks to the metal frame I made, then wrapped that in fiberglass. I used long strand fiberglass filler to shape it more, and the pink is regular body filler. I have a bit more to do; I don't like the curve up in each corner, and the doors have created a bit more work (see one post back) so I'll have a bit more bodywork for the frame but then it'll be wrapped in carbon fiber.

Third pic - I filled in the gap between the kit and the body of the car with fiberglass. Same as everything else really - I glued cardboard in place, then glassed over it. The other side is actually done and painted black, but the door is on so I couldn't get a good pic. Looks good when the door is open though, hides that all-telling gap.

lance345

« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2015, 10:44:22 PM »
First Pic - I had to cut off the top of the door and remake it. No matter how I tried i couldn't get the skin on the door and the top of that part of the door to both line up. I put the skin on the door so the back of the door lines up with the quarter, and remade the part in the pic. I used a hot glue gun to glue cardboard to the back of the door, then also down to the window frame. I then fiberglassed it and when dry just cut the hot glue. Worked pretty well for what I needed.

Second pic - Just a pic of the back of the car for fun. I have the taillights done, and wired in. I had to make mesh grills. Every time I see some on Ebay they won't ship to me  :(  but eventually I'll find some. In the meantime I made my own that I'm sure will give the hardcore replica guys a heart attack, but I wasn't going to put nothing there, or hold up the whole build over it. One day...one day...

Third pic - Rocker finally attached without a 2x4 holding it together. For those that don't want to read all the way back CKI cut my kit in half to save me shipping charges. You'd be surprised how hard it was to get those to line up nice again. I don't think there was possibly another way for it to twist unless Hawking has discovered another dimension or something.

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2015, 01:52:04 AM »
I can't read good! Pics please!!!  ;)
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2015, 12:46:34 AM »
Oh yes, pics are worth 1000 words. The devil is in the details. Just take it one step at a time. Keep it up.

lance345

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2015, 10:08:10 PM »
I was lazy and didn't take any pictures. I'll take some tomorrow. I'm into the little details now so the appearance of the car won't change much until I do the bodywork and paint. So do people even care about pictures?

I did write up a full list of EVERYTHING that needs to get done. I actually have it to the point now that it will pass a safety inspection, but the list is only 30ish things left to do. May sound like a lot, but people that have finished their project I hope would agree that THERE IS LIGHT DOWN THAT THEM THERE TUNNEL! With a bit of luck and my wife toughing it out with baby all day a few more times I'll be driving soon.

Hope everyone else is doing well and making progress.

lance345

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2015, 11:30:20 PM »
Hello all. I've spent quite a few hours here and there working on the car. This weekend is nice and warm here so I'm hoping to do some fiberglassing and carbon fiber, then putting up some pics of progress.

I'm hoping after this weekend I'll be onto interior, then bodywork. For the interior unfortunately the CKI stuff will not work at all. The dash is a normal North American driver side, and my car is a Japanese "RHD". So I'll be making about half new interior components and leaving the dash/center console for now. This has been the plan for a long time. After I drive it a bit I have some things I'd like to still do, but it's been long enough. Time to enjoy all the fruits of my labor.

The sheer size of the project starts to wear on me. Maybe that's why there are so many unfinished cars. I can only enjoy the car maybe 6 months a year, so I'm really hoping to enjoy this summer, then over winter start getting into the finer detail points.

If Texas is still on here, thank you for the advice on the windshield. I got the frame all done and I'm glad I didn't seal it in. I decided instead of doing the frame gloss black I'm wrapping it in carbon fiber. Same with the front hood, engine cover, rear trunk lid, and rockers. I think it'll look really good with the reventon color.

Texas

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 39
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
Hey Lance, it's really looking good but don't get in a big hurry to get that windshield in permanently as that is one of the easiest things to put in place. It will only cause you headaches and there is a good chance you will break it before your done. Windshield are mounted after paint in almost all cases. I would think you still have to make the outer posts before you call it good. Here is a pic I took of the oem windshield post inside edge where the door seals.  ::beers

lance345

« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2014, 06:24:06 PM »
Thanks IKR. That little scoop in the engine bay answers a lot of questions for how to hide the gap between the sail panel and the seat humps.

Quick update. It's not a lot done but I cut the doors, mocked up the windshield, created the rest of the interior filler panels under the windshield, and glassed up the sail panels so they are pretty strong. I hope to have the windshield actually on for good by the end of the week. I'm just taking my time and making sure I didn't forget anything before it's on. It makes it much harder to get to some areas.

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »
use this as a reference

We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

lance345

« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
Progress pic of the car in general.
Showing my recreation of the sail panel/batwing area. The CKI kit seems to be modeled after the spyder pic I see on the internet, but I wanted to do it like the roadsters. That metal bar is giving me the curve I need since it is much more vertical at the front and then tucks under the batwings. I made a big sheet of fiberglass only 1 layer thick so it is very flexible, and now I'll layer it up to strengthen, properly attach it to the body from the underside, and fiberglass a reinforcement behind so if people use it to get in or out of the car it won't break.
Third pic is just showing my estimate of the opening that is there, and the drop to create that little channel. It's just glued roughly in place so I can fiberglass on the car.

As soon as the sail panels are all done I'll be cutting out the parts of the door I don't need and then putting the windshield on. I guess then it's technically a car again, but still lots to do.