Author Topic: Reventon build  (Read 40114 times)

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
Re: Reventon build
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2013, 03:20:05 PM »
Does the car run properly at this stage of the build  ::beers

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
IMO any structural cut that is not strengthened in the end is a waste of time.  You can't cut for a stretch and put tin foil back in the gap.  Listen to the wisdom from those who have traveled down the replica road or really have the experience to do the job right.  I certainly wouldn't want to tackle a suspension modification after attaching the body.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

apsara

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Liked: 32
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-1
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2013, 12:12:45 PM »
true, skill set is a must if taking this on. But its not impossible, and yes stretching a car is easier than widening a car.  I personally wouldn't cut a car down the center and weld it back together.  Anything that gets cut creates stress points, avoiding any type of stress on a frame is key.  I'll post up a build thread later on in the following month to show how to do a stretch with out cutting into the main frame structure and widening the wheels at the same time.  The less you have to cut, the safer the end results will be. 

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2013, 09:47:54 AM »
apsara, you posted:
"it requires alot of time and a specialized frame machine to do that.  I don't think there is even a machine out there designed to do that." 

The builders here don't use a "specialized frame machine"  to lengthen their chassis.  This is usually home garage ingenuity at work and they turn out just fine.  You need to trust that builders will not make anything unsafe for their use.
Some builders make a complete home-built chassis and they probably don't use any specialized frame machine.  Widening a chassis will require the same skills as lengthening.  Done properly, it can offer its own advantages.  I would not suggest anyone try this without good skill sets and ability.

"Theres really no point in widening a car, all you really need to do is just make new longer control arms."

Anyone who makes new control arms better have good fabrication skills.  Without proper construction they could fail with disastrous results.

I appreciate your comments.  They come from someone who has solved their own construction problem the way they knew how and it works for you.

This hobby is all about innovation and solving problems.  Sometimes we have to think outside the box.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

apsara

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Liked: 32
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-1
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »
lance345,
It is a little too late for you with your build but for future builders using the MR2 look into widening the entire chassis.  Nobody thinks twice about stretching the chassis to correct the wheelbase.  This is done routinely.  I know it would take work but if the chassis is sliced front to rear down the center, held in proper alignment (just like it is done when stretching lengthwise) and widened, not only would it solve the location of the tires it would give more room at the rear for engine and drivetrain.
I say this without ever seeing a MR2 chassis and the amount of work involved but EVERYTHING is work on these builds.  I think the advantages would be worth it.
Maybe the next builder could investigate and lets us know the feasibility.
For now, I just throw out the concept.
lance345, you are doing a great job.  Keep going.

RT

it requires alot of time and a specialized frame machine to do that.  I don't think there is even a machine out there designed to do that.  Theres really no point in widening a car, all you really need to do is just make new longer control arms.  I did one for an mr2 build, made new control arms in the front.  Had to extend the lower control arms, extend the steering, replace the front shocks with a push rod setup and made a longer upper control arm, because the shocks are connected to the spindle and acts a upper control arm.  There is no upper control arm in the mr2.  Extending the control arms throws the pivot point out of wack if you use the orginal shocks.

For the rear was just extending the lower and up control arm and extending the drive shafts.  Doing this is less work than trying to slice a car down the center line.  Theres really no point in doing that, you'll weaken the frame even more.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »
Lance fine work on the rear section! Looks great ::headbang

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
lance345,
It is a little too late for you with your build but for future builders using the MR2 look into widening the entire chassis.  Nobody thinks twice about stretching the chassis to correct the wheelbase.  This is done routinely.  I know it would take work but if the chassis is sliced front to rear down the center, held in proper alignment (just like it is done when stretching lengthwise) and widened, not only would it solve the location of the tires it would give more room at the rear for engine and drivetrain.
I say this without ever seeing a MR2 chassis and the amount of work involved but EVERYTHING is work on these builds.  I think the advantages would be worth it.
Maybe the next builder could investigate and lets us know the feasibility.
For now, I just throw out the concept.
lance345, you are doing a great job.  Keep going.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

lance345

• Liked: 18
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2013, 12:41:54 AM »
First two pics are the sub structure I built in the rear. It's 1" 1/8 tubing, so pretty strong. The top rails will be where I actually bolt the bodykit down as they are directly underneath the lip of the bodykit's trunk opening.

Third pic is just showing that I'm going to completely rebuild the rear trunk. I only have the one piece up there now, but I hope to finish it tomorrow after I buy more sheetmetal.

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »
Lance, you can always go back and purchase wide track suspensions for the front if you're unsatisfied with the turning radius in the end. No need to factor that cost into your budget now. Push on and worry about the little details later on.

-Jayso
-Jayso

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »
Lance: You are not the first build on an MR2.  There must be other builders on the forums who can help you.  I wouldn't have cut the taillight housing to clear the frame rail.  You should have been able to trim it and box it in to achieve clearance.  What is the year of your MR2?  Your front suspension is another situation that I feel must be corrected even more.  You shouldn't use spacers to move your wheels outward.  The car will drive very radically causing an unsafe condition.  My $.02  Jim
Retired

Transcend

• Liked: 4
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2013, 02:10:59 AM »
This website has somewhat cheap coilovers.
www.racelandus.com

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • YOLO
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
Lance. How wide are the rear wheels and how wide are the front ones? If the car is really light it will cause minimal wear.

lance345

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »
Lambiero: The widening is all done with the wheels. I searched for a way to widen the wheelbase of the MR2, and couldn't find any at all. Maybe it exists, but I wasn't able to find it. So when I spoke with the wheel guy I told him we needed to have as much of a negative offset as possible. The rear wheels were made with a 7.5" outer lip and a 7" inner with a long (about 3") mounting pad. Without going out to measure I'd say the center of the wheel is about 3.5 inches outside of center, but I think I have to use the 2" spacer, so I'll be almost 6" outside center.

I read that this will cause a lot of wear on the bearings, but I will probably only put 1000mi on the car a year at most. Is there anything else having the wheels out this far will cause?

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »
Lance345:  How did you widen the track in the front and rear suspensions?  With your rear wheels mounted, how close is the center of your tire tread to the center of your rear wheel bearing?  Jim
Retired

lance345

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
Pics of the back trimmed. I took people's advice and trimmed to match the bodykit so the framing will be nicer.