Author Topic: Reventon build  (Read 39877 times)

lance345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Reventon build
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2013, 10:52:34 PM »
Headlights and signal lights all done in the front, and the front clip is all mocked up to be final attached. I really like the HID kit I got from retrofit inc. Took me about 20mins to wire everything and worked first shot. I have some tweaking and finishing to do, but it all works.

I hope to squeeze out the tail lights this week and do the final kit attach on the weekend. Then doors (no glass for now, I hope to down the road) and then windshield and finally the wiper. After that bodywork and paint to hopefully have it inspected and on the road by the end of the month-ish. Again, I won't be close to done, but working on a driving car is substantially more motivating to me than a non moving one. Just me, but I like to get a bit of enjoyment, then put in a bit of work. It's like rewarding yourself as you go I guess.

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • YOLO
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2013, 08:33:18 PM »
Great work lance! Keep it up brother - you're getting much closer to the finish line (:

Speaking of mounting (which I am doing this week) I now see that the MR2 actually offers several planes of contact with native screw points that mount without extra bracing. Mounts it nicely, but a few more lines of contact meed fabrication. That is an awesome find I hope your Rev kit has those planes & points available too.

My catalog will leave instructions of a little different trimming to accommodate for those bat wings lol we should have left that metal and bent it up & flat and the wings panel will just sit on them

Great work on the headlight. I think I'm using a drilled panel to mount my 3 bulbs on it (-adjustable too).

It's been over 100 degrees here for over 10 days now I can't get much done lol glad you are working on yours! Not sure what's up with the rest of the builds x_O
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:39:14 PM by am33r »

lance345

« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »
Haven't worked on the car much, and haven't taken many pics as I did. Been super busy and I'm getting less and less time. I'm determined to get the car on the road this summer though, and then finish it over winter. Here's hoping.

Anyway, first pic is from the inside of the headlight. There are 2 clamps holding it in place while it dried, but it's a bracket I made to hold the projectors I bought. The projectors are too long, so installing them the way they are designed to be installed puts them too far forward and the lexan headlight cover or "glass" hits it, so I had to make a bracket to hold them farther back so instead of about 3" sticking out only <1" does. This bracket also allows me adjustment. I can move the top nuts forward to tilt down, left ones in more to shoot more right, etc.. etc... I'll then cover it all up with a triangle or pyramid piece of fiberglass attached with push clips so nothing can hit if from below.

Second pic is just my fuse box move. I don't think I posted this but I did it a while ago. I just moved the box over and fabricated a new arm to hold the other side. I can get to the gold bolt easily when the kit is on to move the arm and have full access to the fuse box. Not fancy, but works and gives me access.

Third pic is the batwing area supports. I'll bolt the kit to this as well as be able to attach hinges to the side of the support to have working batwings. I took some rear glass motors out of a van at the junkyard the other day so I hope to make them work.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2013, 08:04:16 PM »
Now this is what I like to see (: great work so far man! Very proud of the enthusiasm and professional planning!

I have 6 more weeks on my build too so I can get it on the road for a few summer trips. Get the main things done and drive it... I see project camaros, trucks, jeeps etc all need primer & body work & paint but on the road none the less. Once you're there you are done!

For splash guards use the cheap rubber floor mats from Walmart & cut them to your liking. This week I'm mounting my kit and I will use all thread to connect wheel well bottom edges to main mr2 body - the guards can hang on those.

Pics my friend - pics !!! Cheers from Cali

lance345

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2013, 05:38:48 PM »
My headlights are pretty much done. I don't have the projector or bulb in, but I want to put them in when I am finally attaching the bodykit, and I'm really really close. I made the supports for the batwing area, so the rear of the kit is very well supported. I need to make one more brace in the front, and modify the rocker braces I made. Taillights are still a work in progress but I'm hoping to have them done soon and then in one day I'll fully finish headlights, attach kit, then doors and windshield (my windshield support is off :(  ) and onto bodywork and paint. Somewhere in there I have to finalize the fuel filler, but I'm holding out to see if any progress was made on the Reventon Fuel Filler door.

I can't finish the interior for now unfortunately. I found out I start my grad studies aug.12 so I hope to get the car on the road by then to have some fun this summer. Our summer ends in October here. I also have gone over budget (surprise) so  I'm intending over winter to do the interior and finish up the car nicer. I think a couple drives in it would keep me motivated to work on it over those cold months. Without that little push I'm worried it'll just sit on the lift.

What do people do for splash guards? I've been trying to decide if I want to modify existing ones or make fiberglass ones.

lance345

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »
Epoxy resin. Everything I read and the guy at the supply said it's just the best overall.

More specifically I'm using an eco friendly, indoor use, blah blah blah... brand because I'm doing it in my attached garage.

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2013, 02:02:48 PM »

I'm still messing around with the tail lights so hopefully I'll have a mini build diary for those. In the meantime here are pics of me carbon fibering the front headlights. Real CF, not the vinyl stick on. Though it might have been easier to vinyl it  ::scratch

What resin did you use on your carbon???

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2013, 10:51:32 PM »
Looks great! always happy to follow this build!

Megan refunded my coil over purchase too lol I just bought a diff one like you.

I think I will make my headlights full unites with the screens on them. I want to bolt them to the kit after i make them compete with a universal 4 pin harness (like the u-haul trailer ones). I thought of fiber grassing 3 of the 10mm screws in the bottom of them - that also helps in adjusting their height...

Looking forward to see what you do.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:01:08 PM by am33r »

lance345

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »
I'm lucky I can get a full left and right turn with my wheels after flattening a spot weld lip in the wheel well.

I'm still messing around with the tail lights so hopefully I'll have a mini build diary for those. In the meantime here are pics of me carbon fibering the front headlights. Real CF, not the vinyl stick on. Though it might have been easier to vinyl it  ::scratch

I also made the headlight lenses out of lexan. Anyone have a good way to attach these? I'm leaning toward using dum dum all the way around with three points of a chemical bond. Would make them watertight and removable with a bit of effort later. Does windshield urethane work well?

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your comments. It is something I am going to consider in my build(s).
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2013, 11:56:20 PM »
Just want you to have a safe ride.  Watch your front tires clearance in the wheelwell with full turn left and right.

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »
Keep in mind the relationship of the tire center of tread in relation to the center of your wheel bearing.  This is usually not mentioned in the same post as using wheel spacers/adapters.  When your tire center moves outward, you change your geometry and bearing load.  Try to get a happy medium and achieve good handling. ::thumbup

Jim

True mathmatics jim, but I'd like to comment on this matter.

So my car came with wheels that are severely positive in offset.  If I consider the original geometry associated with them to be the engineer's idea of perfection then I must automatically conceed that that ANY changes to size and offset will result in an inferior design, and therefore an inferior functionality.

I have added larger rims and larger tires, in addition I have 1"-2" spacers all around. Should I consider this more a problem than the fact that I sliced my MR2 in half then rewelded it together resulting in a sever change of geometry? Even when you use a Fiero and change the Steering Column, the Engine, Transmission, Axels, Brake System, Weight of the car, shape of the Cradle, Etc. is there a happy medium?

The idea of a happy medium is just NOT REALISTIC - I know there are EXTREMES like having 22" rims on a Fiero and 4" Spacers... and yes that is just rediculous, but what we end up doing is the barely possible safety barrier without thinking "is this a medium of two exterems"

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2013, 01:00:46 PM »
Keep in mind the relationship of the tire center of tread in relation to the center of your wheel bearing.  This is usually not mentioned in the same post as using wheel spacers/adapters.  When your tire center moves outward, you change your geometry and bearing load.  Try to get a happy medium and achieve good handling. ::thumbup

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

lance345

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »
Got the suspension all done for the moment. The coilovers came with new front drop links, so I ordered new rear ones. Figured why not. It's all back together for now until they arrive. I looked into new sway bars for the future, and I'll decide down the line if I put in the high hp engine. They are pretty reasonable, but not at all needed now.

The coilovers I got were CXRacing. I did a lot of reading on mr2 forums and apparently Megan, CXRacing, and BC are all made at the same factory in Asia. Anyway, I don't have much option being in Canada. These were the only ones I found that would ship to me. I ordered some Megans, but immediately was refunded. Luckily these ones came the second time around.

Also did some prep today for fiberglassing tomorrow. The release agent I have takes a long time to dry, but works really well. I'm going to focus on the tail lights for the immediate future and hope to have a series of pictures.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2013, 08:14:02 AM »
Lance, very nice coil overs. what brand are they?