Author Topic: Aluminum Headlight Rings - Any Interest?  (Read 9262 times)

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
Re: Aluminum Headlight Rings - Any Interest?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 03:11:14 PM »
Hi,
Yes - very interested . Question , would they be to original specs in there entirety or would , for instance the lower lug be missing ? .
Thanks
Oooh , Red leather.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 11:58:19 PM »
Guys, if you are interested in the aluminum set, please send me a PM and let me know that you'd be in for a future set at $250. 

If you are interested in a set from Mike, please PM him to place an order. 

Thanks,

Chris

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:52:34 PM »
I would like aluminum, but at that price I'll take four.  One of mine is broken already.  Just tell me where to send the money.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:01:04 AM by No Bull »

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »
That sounds like a great value  ::thumbup
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:01:17 AM by No Bull »

Murci-Me

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
Yes, they are $30 for the set of 4 plus shipping, usually $7 in a flat rate box.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:01:29 AM by No Bull »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
Yes I have HID projectors on my car, and the rings are fine. I'm not trying to talk you out of the aluminum, Lambo uses that as well and thats the best possible ring. The resin I use though is not the cheap FastCast that CKI and Rob/Joe use for their parts, its much more heat resistant and stable when cured.
I've seen the rings that KI put out, and your right they are pretty bad. Mine are moulded straight from the OEM piece, not like others that are a 3rd or 4th generation cast.
I've sent some out to a few members here, and I think theres pics of them somewhere on a thread.

(Go Ravens!)

Are you still offering them for sale and if so how much are you asking for the set of four?  For the members that needed them, this would give them choice between quality cast or machined.

Thanks for sharing Mike  ::thumbup

Chris
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:01:42 AM by No Bull »

Murci-Me

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Yes I have HID projectors on my car, and the rings are fine. I'm not trying to talk you out of the aluminum, Lambo uses that as well and thats the best possible ring. The resin I use though is not the cheap FastCast that CKI and Rob/Joe use for their parts, its much more heat resistant and stable when cured.
I've seen the rings that KI put out, and your right they are pretty bad. Mine are moulded straight from the OEM piece, not like others that are a 3rd or 4th generation cast.
I've sent some out to a few members here, and I think theres pics of them somewhere on a thread.

(Go Ravens!)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:02:01 AM by No Bull »

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »
I used high temp plastic to make my rings, and they have been on my car for 4 years now without any problems. I think the only advantage of having them in aluminum would be that they wouldn't need to be painted. The plastic I use is rated to 450 degrees, which is well above the heat the projector lamps put out, and the heat from being in direct sun.
I'm just sayin'.............

Mike, did you cast them or machine them?  Are you running HID projectors?  I just ordered my new projectors that are rated at 9,000 lumen's and I'm suspecting that they'll throw off more heat than a normal bulb.  I'm not worried so much about melting anything as I'm worried about any trapped air bubbles in a cast set and eventual warping or cracking.  I also figured that spending $250 now for a set machined from aluminum would be a better investment (and give a little extra piece of mind) than paying $150 - $200 for a cast set and dealing with filling and finishing that is normally required.

It's good to know that a resin set made from the right material works well also.  ::thumbup

Chris   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:02:23 AM by No Bull »

Murci-Me

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »
I used high temp plastic to make my rings, and they have been on my car for 4 years now without any problems. I think the only advantage of having them in aluminum would be that they wouldn't need to be painted. The plastic I use is rated to 450 degrees, which is well above the heat the projector lamps put out, and the heat from being in direct sun.
I'm just sayin'.............
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:02:39 AM by No Bull »

No Bull

• Administrator
Aluminum Headlight Rings - Any Interest?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »
Hi Guys,

A good friend of mine has agreed to machine a set of quality headlight rings on his CNC.  In order to make this worth his while, I've told him that I'll check on the site and see if anyone else is interested in a set.  These will be machined individually from aluminum and it's up to you if you want to polish, paint or hydro dip them. 

I'm insisting on going with an aluminum set because of the poor quality of the resin sets I've seen out there and I have concerns with long term heat and cooling from the lamps and sun on a resin part. 

He is estimating these at around $250 USD for a full set of four  (two small and two large) and this price could go down if we find enough members wanting them.

Any interest?

Chris
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:03:11 AM by No Bull »