Author Topic: Powerslave's bat wings  (Read 4196 times)

Tallon

  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1257
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
Re: Powerslave's bat wings
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
very nice thanks for showing, too bad you never got the batwing sides.
I tried making my own and they didn't turn out right all, it's hard to get the size of the round part I tried using cardboard tube it ended up too big and wasn't at the right angle so it wouldn't fit.
This may be the one thing I can't do myself lol

John watson on mm said he could sell them but you'd have to call to find out how much
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:18:48 PM by Tallon »

powerslave

  • Guest
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Powerslave's bat wings
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
I went to the junkyard and got some dodge caravan side window motors and built a bracket for those so that they would open and close.  I'm still playing around with the geometry so that they open the correct amount and close correctly.  I'll bond the framework to the fiberglass and remove the screws in the next few days and then my next step will be to build the bat wing sides, I've seen them done a bunch of ways, can anyone give me pics and pointers of what worked for them?

powerslave

  • Guest
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Powerslave's bat wings
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
I cut little pieces of wood and screwed them to the body underneath so that the wing would set flush onto the body.  Once my bat wing and frame work was done I used little heim joints and welded some brackets to hinge them

powerslave

  • Guest
  • Trade Count: (0)
Powerslave's bat wings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »
So the first thing I did on mine was to cut them off of the engine cover and trim them to fit.  (I have one of RobsLP640 kits where the bat wings and engine cover are all one piece).  This was done after my engine cover was cut down and fit first.  I think the most important part of the back end is getting the engine cover correct.  After that, the bat wings will fall into place as well as the rear trunk.  My biggest issue though was that the curvature didnt match up with the body, so I had to make a framework out of 1/2" square tubing.  Once I bent and welded the tubes, I screwed them to the panel which pulled it down into place to match the body