Author Topic: LP640 Future build  (Read 14483 times)

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
Re: LP640 Future build
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:07 AM »
I agree with you USMC and No Bull on using the Fiero tub and I have been thinking about it all weekend, but I do not think my abilities and or budget can handle trying to put a whole car together.  One of the main reasons I would like to go with a donor car such as the MR2 or Boxster is that all the systems are there already.  I can handle the stretching of the car fairly easy since I own a body shop and have been doing collision work for many years.
Thanks for the links you sent me they will help our a lot.
Pedro

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
Here is a MR2 build that I found ( http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/build-diaries/14552-mitchmurcy2s-build-murcielago-lp640.html ). I know that there is a company that sells a complete bolt on frame for a Fiero tub but I cant seem to locate the thread..

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
I like no bulls idea with the fiero tub and build a custom tube frame off of the back of the tub. So then you have a title for tag purposes. I really like the way my body fits the fireo tub. If you use a MR2 that would work as well. I will do some research and find a few builds using the mr2 and post them up

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:33:30 PM »
VF1Skullangel do you know if I can use the third generation MR2 from 1999 to 2007 W30?  I did look into this but could not find out if those years could be used.  I would totally go this way if I could, thanks for the info...
Pedro

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
Thanks Chris for the tips, yes one of my main concerns about using the Fiero is the engine and suspensions that they originally come with.  Using only the tub and building a rear frame sound like a good alternative.  Would you happen to have any good build threads that use this concept?  Maybe some links also for the suspension components and engines that I can use?  I will be registering the car in California, do you know of any problems with using the Fiero VIN since it will have an entirely different engine.  California smog laws are a beach....

I did check out the G28 bodies, but I would rather spend a bit more to get that fit and finish that you talk about.

Thanks for the welcome Chris
Pedro

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
Welcome to the site.

Building with a Fiero "tub" is another option.  This involves using the drivers compartment of a Fiero and the front portion of the frame and build a custom tube frame off of the back of the tub.  This allows for you to build the rear frame around what ever engine you want to use and you still retain the tub that Pontiac spent millions in development costs to design years ago.  The tub is also what holds the VIN number which can help you title and register the car (a major problem is some states).  The Fiero has a lot of suspension modifications that are basically bolt on so unless you want to pay someone to figure all of that out later on, you might want to consider this.  If you go the Fiero route, make sure you buy a really solid Southern or West coast car that has no accident damage or rust.  I can tell you first hand that after I add up the hours and dollars associated with stretching a frame and then modifying everything to accommodate rear mounted radiators, engine and transmission swaps etc, going the route of using a custom rear is the way to go and in my personal opinion will give you a better car at a lower price.

As for the body.. make sure you do your homework on all the OEM vs. donor parts that you'll need to finish it.  The G28 bodies may not be 100% accurate, but this is mainly due to the number of lower cost donor parts that they use.  Yes there are more accurate bodies out there but you'll be forced to buy stuff like OEM glass etc and this can be very expensive.  If you can afford it... then go for it, OEM is the way to go for overall fit and finish.  Keep your build diary updated and we'll all cheer you on and help along the way.

Best of luck on your build journey and again... welcome aboard.

Chris

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
LP640 Future build
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
Hello all  :). I am starting this thread in order to get advice on a future build of a Murcielago LP640.  I will be purchasing my kit from John Watson within the next week, sadly I had to sell my motorcycle to partly fund the LP640.

I do not want to use a Fiero as a donor, I would much rather use a Porsche Boxster.  There was a lot of talk on USMC's build thread (sorry for the highjack) whether I should us the Boxster or to build a custom frame.

Hopefully this thread will help decide on the pros and cons of building the Watson kit onto the Porsche Boxster.  I also want to use this thread to get a lot of questions that I still have...   thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:08:46 PM by autopro »
Pedro