Author Topic: CARKITINC CHALLENGE$12,000.00 Build can it be done.....  (Read 17842 times)

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
Re: CARKITINC CHALLENGE$12,000.00 Build can it be done.....
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »
I understand.
-Jayso

armyman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 6
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »
Jayso I would if I could, but I'm trying to do this with as little money as possible... I seen your video on youtube, your kit is prob the best I have seen, but just out of my price range I'm trying to meet..

LamboJayso

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 04:37:47 PM »
I vote AD/My kit Armyman. Both the G24 & G28 are fraught with problems.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:47:03 PM by LamboJayso »
-Jayso

Havemurci

• Liked: 89
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
I vote G28.

armyman

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
Still debating on the G24 or G28..... I'm in between the two, I want the G24 because the body kit is cheaper, but in the long run I think the G28 would be a much better body... I need to make a decision so I can get the ball rolling.  ::help

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »
Understood and agreed  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:55:15 PM by Murci-Me »

LamboJayso

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »
Mike, even if you were to rework a G28 and transform it into a LP670SV roadster body like you say, you'd still have to deal with tirekickers, window shoppers, kitcar groupies, time wasters, lol w.e you want to call them. People these days just don't appreciate anything.
-Jayso

Murci-Me

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
Document everything! Every screw you buy, bulb, can of contact cement, etc. Keep track of every penny. It will be interesting to see the total (or running total) as you build.
I understand you are building the car for you, I am just playing with you with my posts lol!
Keep this in mind though, "always think resale". There's nothing wrong with building a G24, but you will in no way get back what you put in it if you decide to sell. The reason is because people who buy these cars already built are not buying them because they are a hand-built car, and definately not because they like to (or can) build. They are buying them for the "bling" value, and the perception of wealth. They want something thats gonna fool the public, and get them attention. The G24 is a terrible rendition of the Murcielago, it only fools the very naive. I still believe its a much more expensive build than the G28, since there are really no parts for them and more has to be fabricated.
Yes, people look down on the G24 because of the G28, and yes people now look down on the G28 because of the A/D kit. The A/D kit is very expensive to build though, and buying a completed car will be close to (if not over) $100K. You see completed G28's selling anywhere between $25K and $60K, which is much for affordable to the average buyer. For this reason I believe the G28 will stay the more popular build for quite some time to come. Its affordable to build, very close in accuracy, and can be sold easily for a profit if built right.
I too would like to see a G28 that has been corrected. I think it would outsell every other kit, even the A/D. When I was at Steve's (Triangle-G) house the other day and saw that G28 roadster just sitting there (as it has been for the last 3 years), I asked him if he would consider letting me have the car to rework the body. He wanted no part of it, he still is always on the lookout for Audi's lawyers.
If I can find an affordable G28 roadster body, I would buy it and change everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) that needed to be to bring the car as close to accurate as possible. I would then pull moulds of the car and put it in production as a LP670SV Roadster.
I offered steve $5K for the car as it sits, but he is still trying to get $10.5K for the body like he use to, plus another $2500 for the Fiero. I told him good luck with that, since that same body is available from CKI for $4K, and the Fiero its on is worth $1K at best.
Oh well, i'll keep looking..... ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:17:29 PM by Murci-Me »

armyman

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
Good point jamack, I might just do that. As for the 12k I don't think it can be done, but I am sure going to try. I already have a stretched chassis with working ac and newly rebuilt motor for $1200.00 that leaves me with $10,800 to finish. Well thx and I will see you at the finish line, probably last lol but I will be there.

jamack

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-2
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
Armyman, you could do like the manufactures do and put some of those covers over fender areas or just cover the front and rear areas but post the pics as it comes along, that will keep the interest, maybe hold a contest as a "know your kit contest" lol, just kidding, best of luck on the 12k, I dang sure wish I would have thought of that.

armyman

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »
I agree with you both, but I have been doing some thinking, I am not going to reveal what body style I chose, I will update my cost on here but no pics of the build posted until finished.(I will post pics of parts and stuff like that but not of the actual body it self) until fully complete.

jamack

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-2
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:42 PM »
Chris those are great points and I can say that you are 100% correct build the car that you want to build and don't worry about anyones input as I have been told that we are going to the extreme, maybe for some the way we are doing it is to much and maybe what the 12k builder is doing is to little but the only people it should matter to is the one writing the check, I know earlier my post said to invest in something that pays off and really after thinking about it there are more pay offs then just financial, reaching that 3% gang as a completed car probably is more rewarding then anything else considering the hassle it is to even get what you need to finish a car, so the best of luck to all the guys that start and congrats to those who have finished...

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 09:00:39 PM »
I will forever knock on the G24 kit for being a huge waste of a perfectly good fiero. After riding in Mikes car this weekend. Id say get a G28, even if you have no plans on modifying anything else on the car you'll be glad you did.

Hell id even get a Mercy 4 before I bought a G24 kit. At least my car will look funny but will be powerful and won't get bullied by stock Hondas.

Just remember that there are those who now have near OEM paneled cars that are knocking the G28's and of course there are the many real Lambo owners that think we are all a bunch of losers.

My point is that if you are building a car to please everyone else, you'll never finish it because such a car doesn't exist and the Jedi mind trick is that it's impossible to please everyone.  Build what you can afford to finish and whatever makes you happy.  This is more respected here than those who never start nor finish a project at all.  If asked my personal opinion, I like the G28 better than the G24 and I only wish someone built a more accurate (and still fits a stretched Fiero) and complete version of the G28 that included "Watson" quality panels. 

If doing it over, I wouldn't buy a G24 or G28 but opt for a custom or OEM frame and invest in the Watson panels and I would be in that same high risk group on never having enough money to finish it. 

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:04:32 PM by No Bull »

armyman

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 07:46:30 PM »
Chris I couldn't agree with you more, I still might go with the G24 (IDK though maybe g28) to try and make the $12,000 theory, but that's not my budget, I have a little more stuck back so when or if I break the 12 grand I can still finish the car. Thanks Charles.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »
Come on guys and let's show some member support here.  He's building something for himself that's in his price range which I think is way more practical than the many members that try building cars (intentionally or unintentionally) outside of their price ranges.  This single thing is probably one of the leading factors of cars not being completed.  I applaud anyone that finishes a project regardless of the body style.

Chris