Author Topic: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.  (Read 78095 times)

jason5499

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2013, 02:34:34 AM »
How about that sneak peek! 

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
Been so busy, sorry I haven't posted in a while.   

UPDATE:

Body work is complete. Painting is in progress. May throw in a few sneak peaks soon. Will post full pic layout of painting when done. Gotta say......She's looking awesome so far! Cant wait to share it with you guys.....very soon. Lots of details to take care of here before I show her off again.
Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »
on your hard panels you can use closed cell foam 1/8th" thick should do the trick, it isnt a requirement to round the edge especially if you use the foam, and you should wrap the leather around the edge (to the backside) and glue down

MDMurcy2

« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2013, 10:16:01 PM »
SO, again, Im venturing forward into something I have never done.  lol.   

I have finished most of my interior panels,  some fiberglass, some plastic, some wood panels as well.   Heres the help I need. 

In order to Leather over some of the panels, how does the panel need to be finished along the edges for a clean look.  Most panels are about 1/4" thick.  Do you just fold over the leather and attach it to the back.  Is a sown seam line needed along the edge for a better "roll" over the corners or edges.   OR....is it best to round out the edges of the panel first.  Also,  what type of backing/filler are some of you using behind the leather to make it "spongy".  Is it just foam or is there another type of backing between the panel and leather.  I don't want it thick, but I don't want it just hard and glued to the panel.  I've never done this, so I don't know.  My fiance does a lot of upholstery, but has never done automotive, mostly just furniture and clothes.    So she is used to thick foams or sponge or cotton batting.  I want it to look as professional as possible by automotive standards and not just some cheap "backyard" job.  Any pics of some of your work would definitely give me pointers.  Especially when I get to the door cards.  That will be a big challenge I'm sure. 

Thanks guys for any help you can throw my way. 
Mitch.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
Thanks for the picture and information Mitch.. very helpful.

Thanks,

Chris

MDMurcy2

« Reply #203 on: November 04, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »
I think you got the height of the seats right.  One suggestion would be to take your seats to somewhere that does custom embroidery and see what they'd charge you to stitch the logo into them (a nice touch).  You may have mentioned this before, but what type of rubber seal did you use for your doors?

Thanks,

Chris

Yeah...that would be nice.  Specially if I got it in the lime green to match the exterior.   Nice suggestion.  I have the embroidered patches with the carbon fiber material inside.  Looks nice but its yellow/gold like the Lambo emblems.  But green would be an awesome touch. 

I used a trim like this.  Got it off a 2012 sequoia at pull apart salvage.  Didn't have a pic so drew it out.  It has a flap on the inside about 1/2".  Covers the edge of interior trim.  So it helps forgive any gaps that aren't perfect.  Looks nice on my templates.  All I have to do is dismantle and start fitting the leather.  Only thing....The weather strip makes my doors a little tight.  I was told if I clamp them with a straight edge and use a heat gun on them I can compress the bulb part a little.  Anybody done this? 

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #202 on: November 04, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »
I think you got the height of the seats right.  One suggestion would be to take your seats to somewhere that does custom embroidery and see what they'd charge you to stitch the logo into them (a nice touch).  You may have mentioned this before, but what type of rubber seal did you use for your doors?

Thanks,

Chris

MDMurcy2

« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2013, 08:12:08 PM »
Since installing the seats, I didn't like the height the seat headrests were at.  They were 4 inches above the rear "humps" on the body.  A few guys also politely commented the same.   The custom mounting bracket I ordered for the seats didn't take height into consideration.  Guessed it didn't make a difference inside the cabin of a stock MR2.  The rear mounts were set in a way that added 2 1/4" to the height.  I cut these off and redesigned the mounting point to allow the rear of the seat to sit all the way down.  After cutting and literally beating down the rear mounting location of the MR2's floor board, I got a little better than 3" height taken off, about 3 1/4".   Looks alot better.  I also fitted my interior panels this weekend closing off the voids between the body and the sub frame.  Used black paper backed 1/4" foam board to cut my templates.  Only thing left is the center console, which I intend to finish tomorrow.    Heres a couple of pics of the lowered seats.  Any Input would be appreciated on the new height. 

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »
It definitely would. I am a LONG ways off from that yet. *sigh*
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

MDMurcy2

« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
Every time I see this car it looks so much better. Thanks for sharing! This has really come together fast. You are creating this itch in all of us to get cranking on our projects.

Thanks, Thats a good itch kinda thing.....It would awesome to ride these cars together someday! 

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »
Every time I see this car it looks so much better. Thanks for sharing! This has really come together fast. You are creating this itch in all of us to get cranking on our projects.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

MDMurcy2

« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »
My fiance' wanted to take a ride.   So we cleaned up and went round the block a few times.  Starting to look like something. 

MDMurcy2

« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2013, 05:53:19 PM »

MDMurcy2

« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
Long day today....got a lot done.  What a mess!  Two years of fabrication and sitting in the shop takes a lot of time to clean out.  Think I wore out my shop vac.   The dash was so full of soot, water and soap didn't do the job.  Had to solvent wipe it...it came clean with some effort.  Looks like new again.   Well, got my carpet kit in finally.  Hard to find a black carpet kit for the MR2.   They all came in blue or red or light gray.  Very few came with black interiors.   Also got my seats out of storage.  Built them back up and installed them to see how things fit.   I also started using black paper back foam board to start creating some filler trim parts.  This is gonna be fun for a while.  Something different.  Got my door cards cleaned up as well.  Gonna modify them significantly.  Pics later on that.  Things look good so far. 

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #194 on: November 01, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
lol I was trying to get my girlfriend to learn how to upholster so when I got to that point maybe I'd save some money
Don't think it's going to work out that way though

Looking great man, everything looks to be lined up perfectly too!