Author Topic: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.  (Read 78125 times)

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
Re: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2012, 10:39:53 PM »
More pics. 

Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

MDMurcy2

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
After having a little fun.....needed it!   I pulled it back in the shop and removed the body one last time.  I needed to relocate the fuse box.  It was underneath the passenger side fender way up top and was inaccessible.  I left it there but made a slider bracket so that it could be unbolted with a butterfly nut and slid down when needed.   I also took the time to flip the body and fabricate and fiberglass in the steel support for the windshield posts.  Much easier than working upside down.  I made a bracket at the base that attaches to factory bolt locations on the MR2.  Placed the fiberglass filler panels and body filled it all smooth.   Came out very strong and nice.   

MDMurcy2

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2012, 10:22:05 PM »
A few more............

MDMurcy2

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »
Got things put together and pulled it out that weekend to see the progress and get some much needed motivation...

MDMurcy2

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »
Grilles and more grilles.  Being a roadster, I felt it a necessity to go with the OEM grilles for this build.  The holes are directional for each grille in its placement.  Impossible to duplicate with even the best mesh or grille material.  A bit costly but since they are really up top and create of focus on the engine lid and all, I really couldnt go with generic stuff.   

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
Man I can't wait to see this painted :)

MDMurcy2

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 10:21:57 AM »
Hope you don't mind me copying your copies they look great. So your grills came off of the front of a dodge charger? What year if you don't mind me asking? Love the pics.....dave

I dont mind.   If I didnt want anyone to know how I did it ..... I wouldnt post it!  I want my car to look great, but OEM is out of the question for me on alot of things.  I basically do the things I do because Im broke....lol.  This project is on a very limited budget.  This is my dream, has been since I first saw a Lamborghini and discovered replicas!  Im getting older and If I dont go for it....I never will.   In the end.  It will all be worth it!   

2006-2008 DODGE CHARGER EURO BLACK MESH GRILLE 4DR SRT-8:  this was the listing for the grilles.  They were at $50 shipped. 

Mitch

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 09:03:27 AM »
Im glad you are posting all of your old progress back up 8)! You build is one that I followed on the other forum and when it went down so much info was lost  :-\  With everyone posting it seems like the builds are flying buy, we will all be in the 3% club by next year! HAHA

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 08:50:42 AM »
Thank you for reposting these pics. I never saw them the first time around since I'm new to building lambo thing. I love the innovating way you have come up with the rear brake light set-up. This is so much harder than buying OEM taillights but to me its something you can really be proud of. Hope you don't mind me copying your copies they look great. So your grills came off of the front of a dodge charger? What year if you don't mind me asking? Love the pics.....dave

MDMurcy2

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00:41 AM »
Got my side marker lights from Murcie Me.  Very nice parts and great price.  Thanks bro.  I fitted them in front and back.  They look really good.   

MDMurcy2

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
For the lower intake strakes I found that Dodge charger grilles had a very similar shape to the G28 opening.  Cutting the grille in half gave me the two parts I needed to fit some grilles in here.   With a little cutting and trimming they fit up nice and have a finished edge all the way around.  A little filler will be needed to make it perfect, but otherwise it was a cheap solution. 

MDMurcy2

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2012, 10:13:27 PM »
Bare with me guys, I know alot of you have already seen all this progress.  I'm just getting my build diary caught up here.  I'm trying to post new pics of the same progress when I can to give you all a better look. 

Thanks for the patience. 
Mitch

MDMurcy2

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »
OEM taillights are not in my budget, perhaps later.   I didnt want to just put in some Spider lights or just some over the counter lights into the buckets so I came up with a design of my own using the OEM as a guide of sorts.  I used plexiglass and 10mm high intensity red LED's to make my running lights.  The brake lights are the round 4" LED lights.  In each corner, I separated with aluminum for amber LED's for the turn signals.  Strip of bright white 10mm LED's along the bottom will be the reverse.   I'll post more pics later, but this is what the basic looks like.  Its very cool looking when lit up.  I'll make a vid and post it sometime. 

MDMurcy2

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »
To make the mounts for the mirrors I used all-thread rod cut to the correct length and fiber glassed them into the three corners of the base.  I just used some tape to make "troughs" to hold in the resin and mat, making sure to leave an access hole to run the wiring for the power mirror units.   I extended the threads as deep as would allow into the base.  The end result is very solid and easily mounted to the metal bracket I welded into the door behind the door skin in the area of the mount.   A small cover either painted or leather upholstered will cover the access to the nuts behind the plate in the door.   

MDMurcy2

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
Heres my gas lid I made.  If your on a low budget, this is easy to make up.  Came out very similar and took only a few hours to make up.  Used body filler to make the domed shape of the door first.  Then stacked tape back every 1/4"  to the back edge to create the flare, also extending it past the edge about an 1/8".  Then added filler on the edges of the flare to make it angular looking.  Then a little filler primer and Imron gloss black to finish it off.