Author Topic: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.  (Read 78041 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Re: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.
« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2013, 05:28:54 PM »
No disappointments on those headlight rings and I'm glad someone else has had a chance to see them up close.  Jeff really did an awesome job on them and I still can't believe how much material and time it takes to make a set.   ::thumbup

Chris

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »
SWEET ::bounce!!! I cant wait to see it all one color either, then you can start on mine ::tongue

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2013, 03:23:27 PM »
I want give a special thanks out to BLKBAT.   My aluminum headlight rings came in this week.  Oh wow....Is what I said.  These parts are exceptional.  The fit was great and the level of detail and perfection in the mill work is amazing.  Definitely going to look amazing when looking into the headlight.   Thanks again Jeff.   Great work!   

Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

MDMurcy2

« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
Thanks again guys for the compliments.   I'm trying my best with what I have.   Your support is always motivational. 

My work hitch is over.   So jumping back on the project with great anticipation.   Looking over what I have one last time.  I'm filler priming this car this week.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  Looking forward to seeing my project in one complete color. 

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »
Wow perfect, we can all trust your body's finish will be top notch quality when done
I want an oem hatch as well, it would be a relief to have a nice solid part instead. Also having the oem hinge mount location

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »
The rear hatch is looking nice Mitch and I think you made a smart decision to save your OEM parts for one of the splashed OEM covers when the time is right.  There is so much work required on the CKI panel to make it half way decent and then you'll always be wondering how long all of that filler and work underneath will hold up.  Glad to see you keeping the project moving forward. ::thumbup

Chris

MDMurcy2

« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »

MDMurcy2

« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »
WOW Mitch turned out GREAT  ::beers  Its even in black and looks good (being that black shows up everything)! Im gonna need to deliver my car to you for body work  ::thumbup

LOL...Oh heck no.   I dont mind body work...but this is a lot of labor.  Yeah it looks good, but I blocked it down today and really straightened it up.  Now it looks amazing.  The black filler turns light gray when sanded so when using a good long block, the low spots show up really well.  This is a high build PPG filler, Most of the imperfections were able to be blocked out.  But I still had a little skimming to do to make it just right.  I just finished up filler priming it a second time.  This piece was the worst.  Im sure hoping the car looks nice when I do it.  WHICH BY THE WAY.....Im happy to say.....I'M 99% DONE WITH THE CAR!!!!!.   I only have the rear diffuser to sand....and thats the 1%.   Im headed to work for the next 7 days.   I almost made it this week.   So that means no filler prime this week.  BUT....I will be filler priming next hitch off, God willing.  Cant wait.   

Mitch. 

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »
WOW Mitch turned out GREAT  ::beers  Its even in black and looks good (being that black shows up everything)! Im gonna need to deliver my car to you for body work  ::thumbup

MDMurcy2

« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »
The lid took a lot of skimming with body filler to get it straight.  A lot of work.  But will have to do for now.  I finally got it done after countless hours of labor and ran a few good coats of filler primer to finish it off.   Im pretty well satisfied with the results so far.   

MDMurcy2

« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
Got to working on my Engine Lid.  Dang this piece is messed up from CKI.  First I had to re-cut all the vent holes to make them symmetrical and straight.  Fitting my OEM grilles showed me how bad off this part is.   I've decided not to use the OEM grilles in this part.  I will keep them for later and save up my money for the OEM replica lid.  But....I will continue to finish this part and fit some ABS honeycomb grille mesh instead.  The only part I will use OEM is the Third brake light/grille.   But that too didn't fit this lid.  I had to add 1 3/4" of fiberglass to the top to get the correct shape.  Then blocked it all in.   

MDMurcy2

« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
This is the new ride height.   Gonna take some getting used to.  The stance I had before looked great, but was not practical without some sort of lift.  I raised the front 1.5".   The rear stayed the same.  Took it around the block a few time just now.  Dang...it Rides so nice now!  OH....and It was kinda fun turning heads too! Had to laugh out loud at a few of em.  I know their necks must be sore now.  LOL. 

MDMurcy2

« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
Home alone this weekend.  Spent some time changing out the new Coil overs.   Fairly simple install.   Setting the height took a few tries.  In the front, I couldn't reach the top bolt of the strut from inside.  I didn't want to remove the body....So I had to cut a small section out at the windshield.  Very minor cut so wont be much to repair.  Well worth the work. 

These are the Rear:

This is the front:

No Bull

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2013, 08:54:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about your daughters health problems returning.   :(

The car is looking great and I have no doubts that you'll be finishing this one. 

Chris

MDMurcy2

« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »
Looking good Mitch, I like the fact that you're making the door pillar/A-pillar like OEM. You know what door glasses you're using?

Hello there my friend.  Good to hear from you.   
I've chosen not to do windows on this build.   I will set up the openings with trim and seals like it was there.....but I opted not to do it.   Its a roadster, and in my opinion, I dont ever plan to bring this out in any kind of inclement weather.  It doesnt get very cold here but for more than a few days here.  Most days form Fall through spring are awesome "top down" convertible kinda days.  I am building a rag top roadster cover for it's top, for those days when the sun in just relentless mid summer, but otherwise I plan on enjoying it as an open top roadster.