Author Topic: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.  (Read 78025 times)

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
Re: Mitch's MR2 LP640 Roadster build.
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »
When installed, the projectors base plate and bucket can be separated for easy maintenance.  The bolts for mounting the base plate can be reached from inside the front grilles and from the wheel well.   

Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

MDMurcy2

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »
Cut out my headlight buckets.  This is the frame and light support I made up.   Bolt up from underneath and makes each corner height adjustable.  The lights are solid and wont have that "bounce" to them.   

MDMurcy2

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »

MDMurcy2

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »
I didnt like the headlight brows that CKI provided.   They were a real mess.  SO,  I made my own with aluminum.   Not exactly to OEM specs,  again.   Stainless steel encased bullet LED amber light and LED signal to finish it up. 

MDMurcy2

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
Heres the work I did to make the exterior door latches.  I just made up a simple mechanism that basically resembles the Murcielago setup.  It works simply.   The brass rod for the pull will be replaced with a cable pull.  That will allow the Mercedes door latch to be pulled by both the exterior and interior door handles and leave slack on one or the other when one is pulled.   I made the entire mechanism on a separated plate so that the hieght and horizontal adjustments can easily be made.  Its bolted on from underneath and is accessed from inside the door.   Then it can me removed from the exterior hole in the door panel.  Its a bit tight but it fits and works.   

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
Yea I don't care for the engine cover, anymore than I care for the fake disc brakes, etc.

MDMurcy2

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
Looks like a tight squeeze under that rear hatch, will the CKI engine cover fit under there? 

Great work.  Keep it up!

No, the CKI engine cover doesn't fit.  I checked some measurements.  Anyways, I don't even have an engine cover at this time.  I may or may not cover it in the end.  Not sure what I will do then.  Right now, the goal is to get it done.   Cosmetics and such like that aren't a big priority for me.  I'm not trying to fool anyone.  I'm just proud to be building this car and I just want a great looking vehicle. 

Looks excellent. What did you use to bond your framing to the fiberglass? Looks like you'll be on the road for summer.

I used the windshield black urethane adhesive.  I grinded the metal contact surfaces and the fiberglass contact areas using 50 grit sand paper.  I cleaned all the surfaces using MEK.  Gives a deep aggressive cleaning with no oils in the solvent.  Then bonded and clamped everything.  I also screwed the panels to the tubing while the adhesive set for at least 48hrs before removing the screws.  In some test parts I did, the fiberglass shredded before the adhesive could let go.  I also did some test pieces that I left submerged in water for days, even weeks now.  I got a few pieces that have been under water now for over 6 months.  The tubes are completely rusted, and the bond is still not letting go.  I've been really impressed.  Someone on the other forums gave me this tip.  Its working out great.  I have yet to be able to separate any parts.     

cementhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
Looks excellent. What did you use to bond your framing to the fiberglass? Looks like you'll be on the road for summer.

ExoticDreams

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »
Looks like a tight squeeze under that rear hatch, will the CKI engine cover fit under there? 

Great work.  Keep it up!

MDMurcy2

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »
The engine cover was a lot more work.  Took me a few days to get it all fitted and built up.  Once again here, the OEM MR2 latch and strike were in the correct position, so I used them again for this opening.   

MDMurcy2

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »
Used some 3000Gt hinges for the rear hatch.  Simple tubing bent into the correct shape and bonded the lid.  Again I am using the OEM MR2 rear latch and strike.  All the pull handles are already in and the cables are run from the factory, so I figure with a little modification, why not. 

MDMurcy2

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 12:27:39 PM »
Framing the Front trunk.  I made some simple hinges using some tubing.  I came off of the 3" x 3/8" flat bar I welded across the chassis for the door support.   Laid down 3/4" tubing along the jambs and bumper to bend the correct shapes.   I used the OEM MR2 latch and strike. 

MDMurcy2

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:33 PM »
While I still had a bit of open room to work, I decided to pull out the old Cast manifold exhaust. 
Ran this stainless steel header setup that really opened it up.  Using Borla resonators.  The response difference was very noticeable immediately. 

bottlefed

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 12:22:02 AM »
Wow looks great...! I'm dying for more te to work on mine. I keep putting off every weekend in favor of family camping an fishing trips.. Lol all good though.. :)

MDMurcy2

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »
A few days of work, and doors up!