Author Topic: First Time Buyers Tip  (Read 1962 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: First Time Buyers Tip
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »
     I will repost this once again and hopefully everyone who wants to own/build/drive a reproduction Lambo will read this.  NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, PAY UPFRONT MONEY FOR A PREBUILT CAR, BODY, HALF BUILT CAR OR CHASSIS OR WHATEVER TYPE OF PART. Unless she is your wife and you control the check book.  If you make a BIG purchase, do a 30%/30%/40% at completion and pickup.  Make regular visits to check on progress.  Plan on this before you purchase.  I know a buyer who was out almost $100,000 after 3 deals to have his car built.  This makes me mad and confused because the advice has been posted over and over again but some people continue to make poor decisions.  I have made too many already myself.  Get everything in writing.  On the flip side, don't expect more than what you paid for but get what you did pay for and what you contracted for.  The woods are full of thieves. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  BE SMART.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:53:51 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: First Time Buyers Tip
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
Good points to ponder and follow, Chris.  Here's my $0.02.  Try to locate a finished replica/clone with the body that you wish to purchase.  Talk to builders that have purchased your body to see what pitfalls they have encountered.  Find a REPUTABLE freight company to call if transportation is required.  (I got ripped of for $650 by not knowing the freight company)  Use a quality welder (I recommend a Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln MIG ).  Utilize a CAD program to make brackets and check part locations etc.  Big time saver.  Measure 3 times, recheck 2 times, and tack weld and RECHECK again.  Make a check sheet of all tack welds that will need finish welding at a later time so that you don't overlook any.  Unless you have your build in a controlled humidity invironment,  you may wish to apply rust preventative paint to your chassis as your build progresses.  This will save you hours of metal prep later.  Ask questions on the forums.  Many of the guys have already gone down this road ahead of you.  Don't get depressed.  Take many breaks  Try to tackle one difficult phase in your build at a time.  Be satisfied with your work and give it your best.  When necessary, outsource your work if it is out of your talent range.  Best wishes, Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
First Time Buyers Tip
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »
After you've made the decision on which body and fiberglass company to go with, request a full list of everything that you are receive and post it here for others to review.  This should help ensure that you are getting everything needed to complete the build and for anything missing you can ask if it's available or get an idea of where to purchase it.  Getting a list in writing is also a way of protecting yourself later on if legal action is required.  This is especially important if you are buying a previously started project and the builder is claiming a certain percentage complete and / or other parts are to come with it. 

Best of luck with all of your purchases and hopefully we can make this hobby safer than it's been in the past.

Chris