For Sale / Wanted > Services

3D Printing - PVC Plastic Parts

(1/4) > >>

rotarycraig:
My CNC machine I am building will also double as a 3d printer. 24x48 table with 9 inch x axis. 3d printer will be 4 axis. I will post pics of the CNC once I get the motion electronics delivered and installed. :D

SchulzeA:
We have laser tracking machines at work that could do it but the cheapest one is about 80k. And it would take forever to do any large parts like Chris pointed out. I've had the operators do small parts like the Egear shifter trim which took about 4 hours alone.

No Bull:

--- Quote from: Robert on May 09, 2013, 09:22:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tᴀʟʟᴏɴ on March 19, 2013, 11:47:51 AM ---That's sick lol
3 months isn't long when you see how long it's taking guys to carve and mold their own bodies

--- End quote ---
Is there anyone out there that can laser scan a whole car?

--- End quote ---

There is a lot more to laser scanning an object and having it converted to a point cloud than the videos online would lead you to believe.  The process takes some pretty specialized equipment that is really expensive and a lot of processing horse power and time.  There are times when reflective parts need to be "powdered" so the laser can see them and other times there may be areas that a laser just can't read and it must be added manually.  I was going to invest in a small desktop scanner at around  $3000 and I was quickly talked out of it by the company that sold me my 3D printer.

There is a software program out there called Artec - http://www.artec3d.com/3d_scanners_for_fun/ that converts a XBox Kinect camera into a 3D scanner.  It's still somewhat of a novelty and we can expect to see a lot of advancements in this and 3D printing over the next couple of years.

Chris

Robert:

--- Quote from: Tᴀʟʟᴏɴ on March 19, 2013, 11:47:51 AM ---That's sick lol
3 months isn't long when you see how long it's taking guys to carve and mold their own bodies

--- End quote ---
Is there anyone out there that can laser scan a whole car?

Tallon:
That's sick lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version