Author Topic: do any one no how to wire up the head lights on the fireo were the hi an low on  (Read 2478 times)

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
I have a shortened down Sebring steering column that has the controls on the tree.  I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to use these switches or go with a toggle switch for the lights on the center panel with everything else and use a floor mounted dimmer switch to control the projector shutters.  Most race cars have a minimalist steering column and I've not decided just how race inspired I'm going to go vs. still being practical so the car can be switched over to more OEM if I or the next owner tires of the race car look.  The thought of two or three rows of simple toggle switches does excite me for some reason (airplane retro maybe?).

Chris

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
I remember! Dont you have the dimmer switch in the turn signal lever on your column?

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Am I the only one on the forum that is old enough to remember when cars were built with the dimmer on the floor?    ::huh

This is going to sound funny to some but I'm thinking of putting my headlight dimmer (the projector shutter) on the floor and borrowing the part from the old GM parts bin.

It keeps it simple and there is something gratifying about stomping on that button when you need to flash your headlights at the car coming at you that has left their brights on.   8)

Chris

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
You could also just install a diode between the High Beam wire and the Low Beam wire after the switch.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

pslim337

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
THANX a hole lot  ::beers

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
A $2 relay (free at any junkyard) will solve this problem. The Fiero switch mounted on the column switches the power from one set of lights to the other (high and low beams). A single relay hooked up to the power supply of the switch, and a single wire added to the circuit will isolate the circuits between the high and low beams, yet pair them when the high beams are turned on. This will cause just the low beams to come on when the headlight switch is turned on (like normally), but when the high beams are selected both high and low will light. On the Fiero, you have to switch between the two (either high or low), but the with the relay installed allows for all 4 lights (2 high, 2 low) to be on at once.

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:00:26 AM by italianknightrider »
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

pslim337

ok got that but what wires to tie in so when i click on the hi the low stay on too

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
The headlight switch is located on the side of the steering column.  It has three wires plugged into it.  The yellow is the hot feed, the tan is the low beams, and the light green is the high beams.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

pslim337

when you click on the hi beams