Author Topic: Paddle Shift  (Read 5229 times)

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
Re: Paddle Shift
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »
LOL

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
Sounds like someone has a case of the Monday's.

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
anyone seen my stapler?

Tallon

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
Yeah didn't you get the memo?  ???

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:20:17 AM by Tᴀʟʟá´É´ »

Murci-Me

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »
As long as it gets the job done, and doesnt leave you stranded somewhere, its all good :)

dratts

• Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »
I should try and get you a picture of what Fieroking did with the GXP column and wheel when he installed my ls4.  He just utilized the tap shift that came with the drivetrain package.  Wouldn't fool anyone who knows what a real one looks like, but good enough to fool most people. 

tonypaul

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
I guess Im going to have to take some more pics and post them of how I did the wiring. I didnt go into alot of detail on how I excatly did it, but the wires are not near anything that would cause them to get caught up and get damaged. Swaping over to a different column would be way more trouble at this point than its worth. Having to redo all the wiring for blinkers, dim lights, hazards, ignition, ect- no thanks... If I was still building the car, yes- but not now.

I have driven cars with paddle shifter both on the column and the wheel. My wifes BWM has them on the wheel, my friends Corvette has them on the wheel. The Gallardo we rented in Vegas had them on them on the column, I just perfer to have them on the wheel. Its not like the Diablo Roadster ever came with a LS4 and paddle shifters anyway..

I have a set of Mercedes paddle shifters that I got off Ebay before the ones Im using now, but I was going to have to mount them to the column and they just didnt have the feel or look I wanted...  Maybe down the road if Im not totally happy with the steering mounted paddle shifters- I can swap over to the column mount very easy...

"MANual" thats funny! But didnt you get the memo- "Old cable driven shifters with old manual clutches are out- Paddle Shift is the new MAN thing"....  ::thumbup

dratts

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »
Yeah, that's what Lamborghini does.  Mounts them on the column.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
Hey I think that will work, its going to look pretty good also ::thumbup

tonypaul

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
The paddles are mounting on the steering wheel, and not on the column? How are you gonna keep the wires from getting tangled and bunched up? Its alot of turns from full left to full right, seems like something will eventually bind and short out.

These are not very good images, and please forgive my crappy quick Photoshop of the last image. But hopefully they will give you a better understanding of how Im doing it. The way I leave enough wire up in the steering wheel housing I can make full lock to lock turning without pulling on the wiring. As mentioned before I glued the wires to the inside bottom right where they come out so they wont move.

dratts

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »
The paddles are mounting on the steering wheel, and not on the column? How are you gonna keep the wires from getting tangled and bunched up? Its alot of turns from full left to full right, seems like something will eventually bind and short out.
Horn wires have always had to deal with that issue.  I've had some give me problems, but that was fifty years ago.  I have my replica paddles on my modified grand prix steering wheel.  I was going to put them on the column but I didn't have room for them, and my builder went ahead.  I may change them in the future.  I'm not sure which way is the best.  Lambo put them on the column, but most tap shifts are on the wheel.

Tallon

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 06:57:18 AM »
MANual

tonypaul

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
With the steering wheel off and that first black plastic dust cover removed I was able to fish a tig rod down the column to the bottom open end. I taped up the paddle shift wires and just pulled it back through with out much effort. There is a plastic like channel that all the other wires run through that I tried first but there wasnt enough room for the paddle shift wires to go through. I also applied some weather stripping glue (we call it monkey spunk) to the inside bottom of the column and to the wires where it exits out of the column so the wires wont get caught up in the column lock sprocket when turning.

In the end, I got the wires through the column without having to take apart the column witch is a big relief. Next step is to attach the paddle shifter switches to the inside of my steering wheel housing leaving enough wire inside so I can go lock to lock without pulling the wires. Got a busy weekend (work) coming up so I doubt I will get much done till monday or tuesday.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
I don't recall offhand. Mine is an 02' model. Someone here will know the correct years.
Also, they are slightly different internally by year. Dustin's looks the same as mine exterior but mine doesn't have the same bolt hole locations to mount the paddle shift bracket inside the column. Though in my case it doesn't matter because I'm going with a MANual trans  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:56:38 PM by SchulzeA »

IwantAMURCIE

• I'm building my dream....
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »

and the Sebring column has plenty of room to run wires up to your paddle switches. I bought mine for $30 at the junk yard

what year does the sebring colume have to be??