Author Topic: Paddle Shift  (Read 5228 times)

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
Re: Paddle Shift
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »
I used a Seabring column or eclipse (I believe they are the same) and it was fairly straight forward.

and the Sebring column has plenty of room to run wires up to your paddle switches. I bought mine for $30 at the junk yard

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
I used a Seabring column or eclipse (I believe they are the same) and it was fairly straight forward. If you are using a stock Fiero column you may need to put a steering wheel with buttons or paddles attached...

Your car is nice BTW ::beers
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:59:06 PM by usmc_butler »

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 12:52:15 PM »
    You should try to find a steering column out of a Pontiac Grand Prix with tap shift. The donor car your Ls4 came from may have been a good candidate. That would save you alot of work.

Im real happy with my steering wheel (fiero) that Im using. Here is an old pic of it when I was building it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31604886@N08/5571702985/#in/photostream

Plus Im using Microsquirt to control the engine and this to control the 4t65ehd (TCM806):
http://www.magnashift.com/magnashift_controllers.html
So the Grand Prix steering column would be more trouble than its worth, plus the GP column looks like do-do.
I like the look of real paddle shifters alot more than the GP tap shift....

jrule78

• Liked: 5
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
    You should try to find a steering column out of a Pontiac Grand Prix with tap shift. The donor car your Ls4 came from may have been a good candidate. That would save you alot of work.

tonypaul

• Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
Paddle Shift
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »
I thought I would post this here due the chance of more people who have installed a paddle shifter in their replica.
Im currently swapping out the sbc/ Fiero 5 speed (Archie Kit) out of my Diablo Roadster with a LS4 drivetrain. For those who have installed a paddle shifter, did you run wires through the steering column for the paddle shifter?

I have 2 different styles of Paddles, both presenting different a set of challanges but I do have a good plan for 1 set. But where I cant seem to make up my mind is how to get my wiring up to the paddles. I spent 15 minutes trying to get the little ring lock off (couldnt find my small pick took) with out any success. Since Im not using the Fiero washer stalk to control the wipers, I thought about feeding the wiring from the wipers up to the steering wheel.

But Im stil not sure if that would be better than trying to feed new wiring though the column... Any ideas?

Thanks!