Author Topic: New guy obligatorily post!!  (Read 6238 times)

lance345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: New guy obligatorily post!!
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »
Wow, that looks like a lot for that list. I just purchased a lot of that in the last couple weeks so I can give you what I paid:

Mercedes latches -  $16 ea. I believe that Jayso has some for reasonable right now.
Mercedes strikers - $12 ea.
HID conversion system from retrofit inc for my mr2 - $270. This included ballasts, relays, projectors, bulbs, crappy "angel eyes" I won't use. I haven't hooked it up yet so I won't endorse this until I'm done with it, but just to give you a price.
200 leds from China - $5 shipped
1000 resistors from China - $10 shipped
Entire sheet of lexan to do headlights and tailights inside and outside - $90

I'm not saying that I have the best solutions or prices. I just think your list was a little pricey compared with what I'd expect to pay for a lot of that stuff. Just trying to help out.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »
Roadster would be much easier to finish then the coupe and your chassis strength wouldn't be much of a issue as long as it is decently braced. Ive been tossing around the idea of making mine a roadster, however it is going to cost quite a bit to do it correctly or "up to my standards"...

rotarycraig

• Liked: 13
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
Kinda what U figured. Just didnt know if that was a good deal to combine in with my kit purchase. So has anyone finished a roadster? If so any issues with body flex or unibody issues with not upper roofline support?

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
Ya I agree with eddie, that stuff you can find later down the road for way cheaper...

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »
Get the donor car and body first worry about bulbs later they can be bought at anytime. Buy stuff that no one will have for sale in the future.

rotarycraig

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
Question on this list of parts.

-1 set P6 large projector bulbs $175.
-1 set P1 small projector bulbs in blue $175.
-1 set 80 pound door poppers with 2 electric push buttons and 2 pull cables $275.
-2 sets of the mits. 3000gt/dodge stealth hood hinges $150.
-2 sets mercedes door latches and latch-receivers $225.
-4 l.E.D. Red, round, brake lights $125. For the taillight housings
-2 small, front blinker lights $50.
Total $1,200.00

Is this a good deal or can these parts be sourced for less?

Murci-Me

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 05:16:59 PM »
You said something that concerns me - that the cost of a aventador body over a murcy2 is an issue. If the cost of the body kit is an issue then it will be impossible to properly fund any kit car build , because no matter what donor you use or which body you pick , you'll need $20-30k more cash minimum to build it - and perhaps double those numbers

If that level of needed cash presented a problem , seriously rethink this before you start.  You don't want to end up like all the other unfinished builds . Slow and steady does not win the race when it comes to building a kit car . Slow and steady results in a undrivable lump sitting in your garage for years while the wife complains , you have kids, change jobs etc , priorities change and you realize you need to sell the unfulfilled dream .  Life gets in the way of slow and steady
Very true Tusabes, its the reason 97% of kitcars started never get completed. Not only does life get in the way, but people lose interest after a while.

rotarycraig

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Thank you all for your input. I value all the information that you all share. I am going to take my time with planing this build, and will deff post this in the build section.

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 06:23:20 AM »
You said something that concerns me - that the cost of a aventador body over a murcy2 is an issue. If the cost of the body kit is an issue then it will be impossible to properly fund any kit car build , because no matter what donor you use or which body you pick , you'll need $20-30k more cash minimum to build it - and perhaps double those numbers

If that level of needed cash presented a problem , seriously rethink this before you start.  You don't want to end up like all the other unfinished builds . Slow and steady does not win the race when it comes to building a kit car . Slow and steady results in a undrivable lump sitting in your garage for years while the wife complains , you have kids, change jobs etc , priorities change and you realize you need to sell the unfulfilled dream .  Life gets in the way of slow and steady

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • YOLO
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 02:56:45 AM »
 ::beers cool man & best of luck. It's gonna be an awesome journey

Murci-Me

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
The Murcy2 (G28) was designed to mount to the Fiero chassis, no support structure req'd, other than in the roof and rocker panel area.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:23:00 PM by Murci-Me »

rotarycraig

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »
Murci-me. Thank you much for your input. Thank you all for your input. I do believe I have decided on a donor, based on cost, and research I have done. I can get my hands on most Fiero's around here for under 2k, and that is for one in pretty darn good shape. My next question for you all deals with the support structure needed to be built to support the new body. Is it a trial and error deal with the new supports or is there a detailed CAD or drawings available for ease of building?

I think I have also decided to go with the Murcy-2 kit from KCI to include their add on items. The aventador is sweet, but I do have a cost in mind here to stay with. :D

My thought is to do this project one major area at a time. Get chassis, cut up and prep for body. Set up new suspension for wide track and better handling. Then move to the new powerplant and tranny setup. Once done and with the car able to run on its own power, I will dive into body and interior. Slow and steady wins the race. :D

Murci-Me

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
The only draw back I see with the MR2 is

1)Price, they can be super expensive for one in great shape. Try to find one that needs body work or paint.

2)The handbrake is located in the wrong area. Unless you can figure out a way to relocate it, the build will be compromised a little.

Now as far as compensating for a larger drive train, that is up for debate because I've seen guys swap in V-12's into Fiero based kits before where as most of the MR2 LS1's I have seen barley can fit.

I vote MR2 because its easier and quicker to stretch vs the Fiero where the chassis needs to be cut by the fire wall along with the engine create, the suspension needs to be widen, it's just a lot more work on the Fiero. The MR2 seems more ready and complete

Really? how many MR2's or Fiero's have you stretched? I know from experience the MR2 is more involved than a Fiero.
So, you dont need to widen the MR2 suspension? You have to cut the engine cradle in the Fiero? I dont know of one person who has cut their cradle to do a stretch on a Fiero. If they have, they obviously dont know how to stretch a Fiero.
You have to cut the entire tub/pan on an MR2, then fill it in and reweld everything, far more welding and reinforcing than whats req'd on a Fiero.
If Mitch stripped and stretched his MR2 in 7 hours, he probably could have done a Fiero in 5.  After the MR2 is stretched, the rear firewall is in the engine compartment, well behind where it needs to be for a G28 build. The stock dash sits way to high, and into the side windows past the mirrors.
The amount of reinforcing that needs to be done to a Fiero chassis is far less than whats required for and MR2. Ask somebody who's done both (not just stretching the chassis, but mounted the body and done the build).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:01:37 PM by Murci-Me »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
As VF1 said regarding price & brake & engine.

I sold My MR2 turbo last year for $6,700 and it was in GREAT shape (I made $1,500 profit on it). Then rightaway I bought a 95 salvage mr2 that has a body with little bangs here and there for $1,400 since i didn't care for having turbo (So I really got it for FREE)  ::toothy.  You can always find a Turbo model with aged exterior for $3,000.

Mitch said he had to rework the cable for the hand brake - not a big problem I think since you're slicing a whole car I would assume you can extend a line.

And yep, The Drive Train can be limitless on a fiero but that also can get really Expensive and one must start changing a lot of items on the car to accomodate for the new setup.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:13:29 PM by am33r »

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 04:12:44 AM »
I didn't build a replica myself and yes the guys here have extensive experience with their builds but I Just thought I'd tell you what I know and what I learned while reading the awesome build diaries on the few forums and my research and dealing with my vehicles.

Murcie-Me has a great vision but i'm goin to give credit to the MR2:

Mitch Stripped his MR2 in 7 hours on a Friday, and cut & weld-stretched it on a Saturday.  He also build the whole Under-Frame in one day.

True that a Fiero allows such a larger engine compartment once stretched which allows for many V8 possibilities of set ups. However my 270hp 4cyl Turbo MR2 was really quick and light that could easily compensate for large drive train on a heavier Fiero. Also, an MR2 will take a V6 Toyota swap if you like and they come stock with over 200hp and no DMV adjustments required.

The breaks were advanced & suitable with Drilled routers and perfect for the light vehicle.

Then for the wheels there are a few great options for wheels with no spacers as by 2013 a few companies made 18x9 +0 offset and 18x12 or 13 +0 offset. An example is the Asanti AF 118.

In addition my MR2 has power everything, anti lock breaks, cruise control, tilt wheel & power steering which are really awesome for smoother driving on such large wheels. And lastly, an MR2 OEM interior is not old school looking and you can make it look really sweet for less than $1K. I detailed a lot of this info in my Aventador journal on MM.