Author Topic: Possible Door Glass Option for a G28 Roadster  (Read 3949 times)

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
Re: Possible Door Glass Option for a G28 Roadster
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 05:44:31 PM »
I made a paper pattern of the window before I left home so that I could hold it against the door windows at the yard.  I only looked at saturns though.  Any other suggestions would be really welcome.

dratts

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »
Spent the whole day yesterday at two different pull and saves.  None of the Mercedes latches that they had will work.  The Saturn coupe windows that I looked at won't work either.  My car came with Sebring windows mounted solid.  I might just replace them with another set of Sebring windows.  I know that they won't go down very far if I make them electric.  I'm getting too old.  It was a hot day and I was exhausted.  I could barely move at the last yard.  My joints were giving out.  Maybe a joint would have made me feel better.

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 03:31:22 AM »
I got my G28 Roadster a couple of weeks ago. I start my build this week.
I measured the door today, here's an approximate plot!

The top portion I have yet to deicide on the height, but I think 12" in height is appropriate.

The evora and the elise have the general shape but are much smaller  ???
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:34:43 AM by am33r »

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »
MDMurcy, you're building a roadster, how do these measurements match up to your door?

-Jayso
-Jayso

dratts

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »
I'll have to see if u pull it has a 2000 Saturn.  Worth a try.  I would always rather use a stock off the shelf part.  The first time I replaced my windshield he gave me a quote of $75 for the windshield and $300 labor.  Plus an extra $75 for each one that broke.  It came to$450.  This time he raised it to $600 because he knew that someone else was paying for it and he thought that I was going to claim it on my insurance like I did the first time.  I didn't claim it because it is costing me an extra $176 a year on my insurance now because of the first time
Dratts.

Was the seibring window glass not the right size? Can it be worked to be the right size to function up & down properly?

The windshiled frame on the two kits i saw from rob was made to exactly fit the maxima's he made it to be so (he also advertises it as so). And the 3 i saw from cki yes need the bottom corner tucked in or cut.

Jackie claims the Saturn 2000 coupe's side windows, motor and regulator and track should works fine!  If and when you are getting side glass given that nothing else works, count me in for two sets too, i'm in ca.

Also, where did u get the Windshiled that cheap?
Thanks man

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »
Dratts.

Was the seibring window glass not the right size? Can it be worked to be the right size to function up & down properly?

The windshiled frame on the two kits i saw from rob was made to exactly fit the maxima's he made it to be so (he also advertises it as so). And the 3 i saw from cki yes need the bottom corner tucked in or cut.

Jackie claims the Saturn 2000 coupe's side windows, motor and regulator and track should works fine!  If and when you are getting side glass given that nothing else works, count me in for two sets too, i'm in ca.

Also, where did u get the Windshiled that cheap?
Thanks man

dratts

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 12:47:30 AM »
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.  I was thinking of slotting it last time and my glass guy talked me out of it. 

Murci-Me

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
You need to do the slots, even if the framing is close. Give it a try, the results are worth the effort. If the framing is in the way nothing is lost, at least you wont have to trim so much glass if its slotted.

Texas

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 39
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
I'm interested dratts let me know what you come up with. ::study

dratts

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
It came with the windshield cut on the lower corners.  Some people slot the body and slide the uncut windshield  into place.  I think that I might run into the frame if I try that.  The windshield was broken both times by the person working on my car.

Murci-Me

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
Why are you cutting the windshields? I've had the same windshield in my car for 5 years and 3K miles, still looks like new! Any cutting on a windshiels, whether its laser, waterjet, whatever, will eventually crack, guaranteed.

dratts

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »
Mine came with sebring glass mounted solid.  I have marks plexiglass in it now and I plan on getting it operationable and then using it as a pattern to order custom glass.  I will buy two sets for myself and would like to know how many more would join in on a group purchase if it goes that far using the same glass supplier that Murci-me did.  I have replaced two Nissan maxima windshields already. The last one cost me $600.  The maxima windshield was only $75.  The rest was cutting and installing.  I want to see if the local water jet cutters can give me a bulk price on cutting ten or so if anyone is interested. 

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »
What are others using for their fully functional window glass of a G28 Roadster nowadays?

LamboJayso

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 17
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-2
  • Experience is everything!
Possible Door Glass Option for a G28 Roadster
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
Below is a door glass from a 2010 Lotus Evora. It looks like it may work on a G28. It's too short for my body.

-Jayso