Author Topic: Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas  (Read 27876 times)

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »
I enjoyed it also. My name was mentioned in the post, and it was directed at me. Notice I didn't respond to it though, or the two other posts geared at getting a response from me. I was willing to let bye-gones be bye-gones, but not him.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »
I honestly didn't take this as a jab. I just thought it was very witty and entertaining. I enjoyed it at nobody's expense. :)
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Murci-Me

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
I want to apologize to everyone here for my misleading diagram on to how to make an effective batwing drive.  I don’t know what I was thinking.
There were some here who knew immediately that I was way off base and called me out on that.  Murci-me recognized the system I proposed was really “Rube Goldberg”.  That was very perceptive.
So I considered again the problem of how to make the batwings move with an eye on simplicity.  I think I “hit it” this time.
Please review this revised method and maybe someone can incorporate it into their build.
Thanks again for your patience with this issue.

RT

Here is an explanation of how it works:
“A” Pull string on dash
“B” Cat is released from cage
“C” Mouse sees cat and runs up tube which tilts and releases golf ball
“D” Golf ball rolls down ramp and lands on lever on bucket of water
 “E” Bucket tips pouring water through funnel into tank
“F” Tank fills causing float to rise with linkage releasing bowling ball
“G” Bowling ball pushes swing arm with match and lights candle
“H” Candle burns through string, releases hammer, strikes button switch
“I” Fan blows ship across water
“J” Ship hits barrel rolling it down ramp
“K” Barrel starts domino effect
“L” Domino hits meat cleaver and cuts string
“M” Cut string releases weight, pulling string
“N” String pull levers pushing up batwings

Copied to preserve

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:50 AM »
Glad you asked. When you want something to go down you follow this design:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNdyLadq69Q

It does require a windshield and vents as well.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:29:35 PM by No Bull »

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2013, 12:42:35 AM »
That seems much easier!  ::salute I can't help but ask, how do the wings go back down?  ::angel

lance345

• Liked: 18
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »
Crap, I'm allergic to cats. Otherwise I would do this for sure.  ;D

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2013, 07:06:53 PM »
I want to apologize to everyone here for my misleading diagram on to how to make an effective batwing drive.  I don’t know what I was thinking.
There were some here who knew immediately that I was way off base and called me out on that.  Murci-me recognized the system I proposed was really “Rube Goldberg”.  That was very perceptive.
So I considered again the problem of how to make the batwings move with an eye on simplicity.  I think I “hit it” this time.
Please review this revised method and maybe someone can incorporate it into their build.
Thanks again for your patience with this issue.

RT

Here is an explanation of how it works:
“A” Pull string on dash
“B” Cat is released from cage
“C” Mouse sees cat and runs up tube which tilts and releases golf ball
“D” Golf ball rolls down ramp and lands on lever on bucket of water
 “E” Bucket tips pouring water through funnel into tank
“F” Tank fills causing float to rise with linkage releasing bowling ball
“G” Bowling ball pushes swing arm with match and lights candle
“H” Candle burns through string, releases hammer, strikes button switch
“I” Fan blows ship across water
“J” Ship hits barrel rolling it down ramp
“K” Barrel starts domino effect
“L” Domino hits meat cleaver and cuts string
“M” Cut string releases weight, pulling string
“N” String pull levers pushing up batwings
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

String

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-0
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2013, 06:59:43 AM »
As input of ideas , I purchased 4 x satellite dish actuators which were new ( but cheap) and they have had to be shortened for purpose but otherwise the microswitches inside are fully adjustable for stops at each end of travel ( about 50mm) ,and being 30v are then the perfect speed of travel.
Oooh , Red leather.

Fieroking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 14
    • Fieroking Customs
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »
I agree there are a number of different ways to do the Bat Wings. The system on Dratt's car is fairly simple, it uses 2 88 Fiero headlight motors one for each wing, The control module needs power and a ground and a signal to move. I wired the system into the relay box for the engine and have a relay controlled by the ECM (a ground) and also wired to a switch in the cockpit to provide the same ground. Thus the Bat wings are controlled by the ECM and can be over ridden by the switch in the cockpit. The nice thing about the motors and controller is there are no limit switches, the controller uses current limiting to shut down the motors in either direction. The same controller and motors are used in the late 80's Firebird.

Joe Sokol
Fieroking
Joe Sokol
sokolja@roadrunner.com
WWW.FIEROKING.COM

Robert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2013, 02:27:35 AM »
That one doesn't have feedback... The actuators I use will have 5 wires, 2 ground and 12 volt and 3 for feedback for the micro computer.

What is the feedback you are talking about? The only feedback a LA can provide is in a POT, which can either be a 2 wire or 3 wire system, both of which work identically the same. I'm pretty sure this is a 3 wire feedback actuator. If its not, the are hundreds of them available on Ebay and elsewhere that will suit your needs in the $50-$60 price range.
I believe the bat wing motor I will use are here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1527522
I don't think a tenth of a possible 10th  second difference with the bat wings opening will make a difference to me.

ServoCity carries a great selection of quality linear actuators and linear servos. Our new Heavy-Duty & Super-Duty Linear Actuators are perfect for both hobby and industrial applications and come in a variety of stroke lengths and speeds.

25-180 lbs Heavy Duty Thrust Linear Actuators $129.99

Move up to 25-180lbs for under $130! Introducing our all new Heavy Duty 12V Linear Actuators. Now you have the power for those extra large projects. Built in potentiometer can be easily accessed for position feedback but is not necessary for operation. Limit switches at both ends prevent over-run. All aluminum construction with metal drive gears ensure tremendous durability and reliability. We offer them in six stroke lengths from 2 inches up to 12 inches. Extension shaft is .785” diameter. Mounting points are 1/4” diameter and bolt up directly to our optional mounting brackets.
ROHS and CE listed

Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

Murci-Me

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 10:55:29 PM »
That one doesn't have feedback... The actuators I use will have 5 wires, 2 ground and 12 volt and 3 for feedback for the micro computer.

What is the feedback you are talking about? The only feedback a LA can provide is in a POT, which can either be a 2 wire or 3 wire system, both of which work identically the same. I'm pretty sure this is a 3 wire feedback actuator. If its not, the are hundreds of them available on Ebay and elsewhere that will suit your needs in the $50-$60 price range.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »

Murci-Me

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:33:59 PM by No Bull »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »
All of the actuators on my car require feedback for the computer system. Thanks for taking the time to check on them for me.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:34:36 PM by No Bull »

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
Alot of you may not know this but Lamborghini has a tail on the back of their batwings. And this is there b/c it does two things. It acts as a mechanical stop and stabilizes the wing in its raised position.

So what you're saying is, the wing has a "mechanical" stop Jayso? Hmmm..........

The OEM actuators have build in limit switches that tell the motors when they've reached "full top" and "full down".  Most aftermarket actuators also have this feature and they are mechanically adjustable inside the motor housing.

The ledge on the bat wings in the picture is of a later bat wing as the early bat wings didn't always have this ledge.  The ledge was probably added as an additional block for full top position and was probably added as a safety feature in case the actuator linkage broke and it's only the hinges saving it from lifting off the car.

The picture obviously shows a car that's been hit hard in the quarter panel and enough defection and damage has occurred to force that ledge on the wing outside of the quarter opening.

Chris